1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 171

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: J. "Digger" Doyle (1.17)

#121 Post by KingKC »

This episode was as memorable as any of them. What else can I say about it that hasn't been said. Definitely a top ten in my list.

KingKC

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by eagle »

I'm going through the series again, and watched this one yesterday. IMHO, the best in the series so far. Digger Doyle might be my favorite "Magnum girl."

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by Little Garwood »

I found this vintage ad featuring Erin Grey and thought all the Digger Doyle admirers might appreciate it:

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em... :P
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

So I'm watching the latest Hallmark Channel Christmas movie tonight (yes, I admit it...I like watching them :oops: ) and I recognize the voice of one of the actresses. I absolutely know the voice......I know that I know her but I just can't place her.....her mannerisms seem so familiar......so I look up the cast online, and it's Erin Gray!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by Little Garwood »

I'd know Erin Grey no matter what. Her looks, mannerisms, and onscreen persona are forever etched in my memory. Heck, I wrote her a fan letter when I was nine years old!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Yep, I think it was the blonde hair that threw me.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by KingKC »

My, my, my...how time changes us all.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by Lily »

This episode was shown on television here tonight and I loved it all over again!

Think Erin Grey should really be cast as the much needed love interest of TS in Blue Bloods! :)

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#129 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Top 5 for sure. This episode really sets the tone for the mutual respect TM and Higgins have for each other, even with the clash of personalities. It also has, to me, the best elements of the show.
That reminds me of the time....

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Season one was definitely a case of "getting in the swing of things", but it did have a lot formed already and this episode's one of the best of the season. While there's a bit of a "spin-off" vibe with her, J. Digger as a character really seems ahead of her time in this episode and that's aged quite well. Also, it's hilarious that Higgins' stories have already become a running gag this early in the series, so much so that Magnum has to shout a huge "SHUT UUUUUP!". :lol:

Hallmark's definitely become a hub for older actors like Erin with their TV movies and series. I'm an extra from time to time on Chesapeake Shores, as they film in and close to my city. Last day I was on was a set of wedding scenes with the whole main cast. Barbara Niven was super nice and said hi and took a pic of us in our server costumes. Treat Williams is a pretty funny, easygoing guy, and while Diane Ladd wasn't around for shots she didn't have to be in, when she was, she was nothing but pure class. The crew was quite fast and efficient as well, so I can certainly see why a lot of actors like Erin would like working with them.

And about the Higgins/Robin Masters thing (this could be on virtually any other board :P), while it's clear these episodes don't run on that ambiguity and some fans dislike the whole thing, I just find it funny because Higgins knows it drives Magnum nuts when he gets the suspicion. In my mind, Higgins isn't Masters, but just likes messing with poor Magnum's head. :lol:

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Thought I'd post this here because this thread's more active, but guess who showed up in the season premiere of Mystery Science Theater 3000 alongside Wil "Shut up, Wesley!" Wheaton?

Totally fitting, in my opinion. :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#132 Post by marlboro »

^ I haven't watched any of the new MST3K. Any good?

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I haven't watched it myself, but it's gotten good reviews from fans and critics :)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#134 Post by K Hale »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:Of course, it’s obligatory that Magnum and Digger must get romantically involved, but at least here the two characters at least have some genuine spark and rapport between them. Even if they are busy getting kissy-kissy while they are supposed to be looking for the captured Higgins!
Seriously, TM is making out in the car with that rude person while Higgins is kidnapped and tortured? This made me think of Short Round's line, "No time for love, Dr. Jones!" It's also one of the things, along with the ridiculous fake sneeze, that made me sure Digger was working for the other side. And what is Magnum looking for so carefully under the dashboard?
Particularly memorable is Magnum and Digger’s rescue of Higgins from the outpost in the mountains – even if it does seem a bit too easy to break in to, only for a simple sneeze from Digger to alert the villains as they make their escape!
Talk about bad security. Those guys have video cameras in every room, and they don't even look at them until they hear that stupid sneeze. Least convincing sneeze EVER.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#135 Post by J.J. Walters »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:Thought I'd post this here because this thread's more active, but guess who showed up in the season premiere of Mystery Science Theater 3000 alongside Wil "Shut up, Wesley!" Wheaton?

Totally fitting, in my opinion. :)
marlboro wrote:^ I haven't watched any of the new MST3K. Any good?
I'm a huge, HUGE MST3K fan! It's my second favorite show of all-time (behind Magnum, of course). I thought Season 11 was pretty darn good considering it came 18 years after the original show ended, and featured an all new cast. But since original series creator Joel Hodgson was helming the reboot, that came as no surprise. I think Jonah Ray did a really good job as the new test subject and the writing and production quality was fantastic. It's still hard to get used to the new voices of Servo and Crow, but it's slowly growing on me. There are some really good movies they picked to parody in the new season. Highlights for me are: Cry Wilderness, Avalance (with Rock Hudson, Mia Farrow and Robert Forster), Starcrash, Carnival Magic and The Christmas That Almost Wasn't. And the host segments feature some cool guest star appearances and songs: Neil Patrick Harris, Jerry Seinfeld, Mark Hamill, Joel McHale among others. And I loved how they had Wil Wheaton and Erin Gray in the first episode! Season 12 has been greenlighted by Netflix. Look for it sometime in the fall of this year! :)

There really needs to be a MST3K thread in the King Kamehameha Club sub-forum. I can't believe I've never created one!... Well, I guess I'll start one! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!