6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 124

Jaybird
Admiral

#21 Post by Jaybird »

I loved this episode. Marcia Wallace is fantastic. The interplay between Rick, TC and TM, and of course, Higgins is classic. The rest of the plot, well, who cares about the hitman and the gov't agents. This is simply a classic, enjoyable, Magnum, p.i.!

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#22 Post by Higgy_baby »

I remember this episode well from the early syndication years. The Ironman event is unforgettable. I dig that early no nonsense bike helmet that TS wears...And doesn't his biking shirt look way cooler than the modern spandex body suits ala Tour deFrance (and every wannabe in my neighbourhood).

I love this young Higgins who laughs and takes such delite at Magnum's predicaments. It may seem a little out of character because we're so used to the later serious Higgie.

From some previous posts, I feel like the only old fart whose first impression of Babs is Bob Newhart's receptionist and not Miss Krabbapple? That's OK, my girlfriend tells me Marcia Wallace is now a psycho on Y&R.

Watching the pool game was fun. I almost forgot about straight pool. Everyone plays eight ball now or snooker which is popular in Canada (although almost unheard of in the US).
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#23 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Speaking of snooker... I do remember a Magnum episode where Higgins is watching a snooker tournament like we would a Super Bowl or other big game here in the states.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#24 Post by Doc Ibold »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Speaking of snooker... I do remember a Magnum episode where Higgins is watching a snooker tournament like we would a Super Bowl or other big game here in the states.
Aside from the Cat Admirers and Trainers Society trophy, one of the only bright spots on that blot of the Magnaverse known as "Photo Play"

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by Higgy_baby »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Speaking of snooker... I do remember a Magnum episode where Higgins is watching a snooker tournament like we would a Super Bowl or other big game here in the states.
I didn't know that. Thanks also Doc for naming the episode.

I remember when pool halls, legions, and basments in Canada were a sea of red balls. Sometimes you still see the UK tournaments on cable.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:Aside from the Cat Admirers and Trainers Society trophy, one of the only bright spots on that blot of the Magnaverse known as "Photo Play"
What about lots of Agatha, an uncredited, pre-stardom James Cromwell, and this humorous exchange (in addition to the "Spin the Cat" speech)? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#27 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Aside from the Cat Admirers and Trainers Society trophy, one of the only bright spots on that blot of the Magnaverse known as "Photo Play"
What about lots of Agatha, an uncredited, pre-stardom James Cromwell, and this humorous exchange (in addition to the "Spin the Cat" speech)? ;)
Oh James... I lump Agatha scenes in with the Cat Admirers and Trainers society... as for James Cromwell, he's been in everything. So I guess a kinda sorta thumbs up for him?

Drops drumsticks...

:lol:

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#28 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

IslandHopper wrote:Grapeshot, I agree. The scene where Magnum is asking Higgins' to have the Ferrari delivered to Honolulu Lulu's is one of my favorite all time scenes. In that scene you see Higgins really give a great big belly laugh, which is rare. The only other episode that I recall Higgins really laughing out loud is "China Doll" when Mai Lin tells Higgins that she has hired Magnum as her protector. Then Higgins lets loose with that great laugh of his.
He also laughs in Adelaide when he figures out that Magnum is protecting a horse.
I love that laugh too. Cracks me up every time.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#29 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Higgy_baby wrote:I remember when pool halls, legions, and basements in Canada were a sea of red balls.
I was there as a teenager at Coronation Billiards dropping the black and pink as often as possible. Thanks for the memories. :)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

northshore
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great Scenery

#30 Post by northshore »

I really like this episode as it gives yet another great tour of so many familiar places on the island. The scenery is great in many or most of the episodes but seeing typical downtown traffic before and during the bus ride is classic! Anyone who has ever been a tourist in Oahu knows what a crowded bus is all about, they captured the experience perfectly. :D

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#31 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

I just registered with a reference to one of my favorite episodes, so of course my first posting has to be about "Beauty Knows No Pain." Recently I had a few girlfriends over to watch Magnum with me and I chose this episode because it contains some classic examples of Higgins, T.C., Rick, and Magnum at their comic best. Plus one of my friends grew up on Oahu and she was able to see some great, non-tourist sights. My two favorite scenes are Magnum on the bus holding a day-old sandwich and Babs fighting off the Feds as they try to stuff her into their car . . . priceless! :lol:
Rack em up!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Honolulu Lulu wrote:I just registered with a reference to one of my favorite episodes, so of course my first posting has to be about "Beauty Knows No Pain." Recently I had a few girlfriends over to watch Magnum with me and I chose this episode because it contains some classic examples of Higgins, T.C., Rick, and Magnum at their comic best. Plus one of my friends grew up on Oahu and she was able to see some great, non-tourist sights. My two favorite scenes are Magnum on the bus holding a day-old sandwich and Babs fighting off the Feds as they try to stuff her into their car . . . priceless! :lol:
Thanks for all the recent posts Lulu. Love the name! Welcome to the forum.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome aboard Honolulu Lulu! Good to have you here! :)

"Honolulu Lulu's! I don't believe it. (laughs) I'll send one of the gardeners over. Oh, and Magnum, don't forget to tell him what bus to take back. I wouldn't want him to make the wrong transfer, or whatever it is one does on a bus. (laughs)"

LOVE this episode!

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#34 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

Thanks for the welcome J.J.! And thanks for making me laugh all over again by including some of the funniest lines from this episode. :lol:
Rack em up!

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#35 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

Thanks for all the recent posts Lulu. Love the name! Welcome to the forum.
Styles, I thought I'd learn how to add quotes as I respond to your welcome message! Glad you like my name. I must say, I joined the forum mostly so I could use the name and the hilarious photo of Babs bracing herself for a fight with the Feds. (I still laugh out loud just thinking of this episode!) :lol:

Your profile image is on the Robin's Nest beach, isn't it? I hope to take my husband and three sons there soon!
Rack em up!