2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 124

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Beauty Knows No Pain (1.18)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Beauty Knows No Pain (1.18). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 4/16/1981
Barbara Terranova, a broke fitness trainer who can only afford his services for one day, hires Thomas to help her find her missing fiance, Roger. As Magnum soon discovers though, he is not the only one searching for him. Matters are further complicated when T.C. talks him into competing in the upcoming Ironman triathlon.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Additional Flubs for "Beauty Knows No Pain." There are many flubs in this episode. Here goes:

(1) When Magnum and Barbara are at Honolulu Lulu's, Magnum and Barbara play pool. Magnum breaks during the first game. When he breaks, the cue ball barely touches the billiard balls. Thus, only a few billiard balls break away from the rest. Most of them stay compact in the middle of the pool table, and none went in. When Barbara begins to shoot, the balls are suddenly widely dispersed around the table. This wasn't the case after Magnum broke.

(2) The entire billard sequence is off. After each of Barbara's shots, the billard balls end up in one position, but when she takes the next shot, they are not in the same place as before.

(3) When Magnum and Barbara pull into the gas station, they are followed by the Mafia hitman in the light blue sedan who pretends to fill his tire with air. Magnum leads the hitman away from his car and without him knowing, Magnum jacks up the rear of the guy's car. When the hitman tries to follow Magnum and Barbara, his car won't move because his car is jacked up. When the guy gets out and sees the jack he kicks the left rear hub cap. Notice right before he kicks the hub cap, it is in perfect condition (no dents), then they cut to him kicking the hub cap, which you can see has already been kicked several times during previous takes, I imagine.

(4) When Magnum is running along side Barbara on her bike, he begins to sprint onto a sidewalk past the two Federal agents. Notice the sweat pattern on the back of Magnum's tank-top is in the shape of a "V", but when Magnum suddenly turns to run back to help Barbara only a few seconds later, the sweat pattern on the back of the shirt has suddenly changed. It is no longer a "V" shaped. It is more like a "U" shape.

(5) While outside the Old Hawaiian Aloha Wedding Chapel with Barbara, Magnum denies ever being married or engaged. What about Michelle?

(6) During the Ironman, when Magnum finishes his swim and changes into his running gear, his black tank-top has a large #62 on the back, which completely covers the Island Hopper logo. Shortly after, there is a scene where Magnum is running on the road parallel to the beach and the #62 on the back of his black Island Hopper tank-top is well below the Island Hopper logo. It has suddenly moved. It is fairly easy to see, with the exception of the frontal close-up shots of Magnum, that the guy running is actually Magnum's stunt double.

(7) When Magnum enters the Austin Memorial Gardens on his bike and walks his bike over the bridge, you can hear a woman with a high pitched voice say "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon Island Hoppers Go." When Magnum gets back on his bike after the bridge, you can hear the exact same 'looped' cheer, "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon Island Hoppers Go."

(8) When Magnum, Higgins, TC, Rick and Barbara are back at Robin's Nest watching the news (narrated by Jeff McKay) of the race, there is a camera showing Magnum riding the wrong way as if there was a camera man at that point in the race. During that part of the race there was no camera man there to take that shot.

And of course, James, has already mentioned the scene just before the start of the Ironman where Magnum is in a black Speedo and then suddenly in black shorts.

Despite these flubs, this is one of my favorite episodes from the 1st season. I don't really know why, but it is. Perhaps it is because I am such a Bob Newhart fan, and Marcia Wallace is in this episode. I don't know.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by grapeshot »

Yep, this is one of my favorite episodes from the first season, too. AND yes, I think it's because of Marsha Wallace's presence. She plays a great character that's fun to see. It's also fun to see Magnum being railroaded into the Ironman contest by everyone else. I didn't think much of the Mafia hitmen plot, but the characters and their interactions more than make up for the slightly silly plot.

Oh, and to see Magnum riding a bus? priceless. It makes me smile even now to think about it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, Marcia Wallace is great, as usual.

IslandHopper, way to spot those flubs! I'll add them to the Episode Guide and give you credit. I'll merge #1 and #2 together. #7, I'll drop. BKNP will definitely have more flubs than any other episode!

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

IslandHopper wrote:
grapeshot wrote: Oh, and to see Magnum riding a bus? priceless. It makes me smile even now to think about it.
Grapeshot, I agree. The scene where Magnum is asking Higgins' to have the Ferrari delivered to Honolulu Lulu's is one of my favorite all time scenes. In that scene you see Higgins really give a great big belly laugh, which is rare. The only other episode that I recall Higgins really laughing out loud is "China Doll" when Mai Lin tells Higgins that she has hired Magnum as her protector. Then Higgins lets loose with that great laugh of his.

James, do you think the scene with Higgins laughing out loud in "Beauty Knows No Pain" deserves consideration for best scenes? If it's not already included, of course.

layne
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by layne »

This was a fun episode. Loved Higgins' laugh. I do believe Higgins also let out a belly laugh in "Paper Wars" in season 7 I think? I just saw this episode on WGN last week and Magnum even tells Higgins that he has never heard him let out a great big belly laugh. Then after Magnum accuses Higgins of being Robin Masters...Higgins breaks out laughing hysterically. Gotta love it!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#7 Post by golfmobile »

I don't mean to be a kill-joy here, but everytime Higgins does the "belly laugh" that is mentioned above, it seems desperately fakey to me. I can't imagine a more forced laugh, personally. Now when Magnum laughs, it sounds as though he is truly amused. Higgins seems to be following the script.

JMO

Now as to flubs in this episode, when Higgins follows everyone into the gardens, he stops and comments on the different flora. Now, really, as a flower/plant/flora aficianado/expert, wouldn't Higgins have been to these gardens in the past, if not frequently, and be highly familiar with what is available to be viewed there? You'd think from this scene that it was HIS first visit to the island -- "Fascinating . . . . " on the first one he stops and names. Even if he hadn't visited (which I really can't imagine), he would surely have read up on what was on display there, so why would it be "fascinating" to see it for real? If it were that interesting, wouldn't he have been to the gardens before now??

Also, in the final scene where the highlights of the race are shown on TV (to Jeff McKay's narration, as mentioned), isn't this a new room in the estate for us to see? Not a flub, but do we EVER see this "media room" again in any other episodes?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by lutherhgillis »

I found one more flub. After Magnum comes out of the water from the first leg of the Ironman, he goes to the table to get changed for the marathon run. After changing, he runs off beneath the overhang of a building. His hair is wet from the swim as it should be. Watch the runner who goes through behind him. His hair is dry as a bone and styled to match! This guy could not have just finished a 5 mile swim!

Luther H Gillis

Magnum92
Captain

#9 Post by Magnum92 »

I am sure you have all noticed this but Marcia Wallace also does the voice for Mrs. Krabbappel off of The Simpsons.

Just thought I would share this useless information with you!
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by Kahunagirl »

My 12-year old son was WAY impressed when I pointed out the Mrs. Krabbappel "link" when we watched this episode many months ago. I think that connection alone has made this his favorite Magnum episode ever! Wait till he gets a little older and discovers the attributes of Erin Gray, Dana Delaney, and some of the other female guest stars!

Kahunagirl

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:Magnum's strongest event is supposed to be the swim. Watch as Magnum gets out of the water, you will see this squat-heavy woman (no offense intended) lumber out of the water ahead of Magnum, and Higgins notices this and says "this is your best event?" Magnum gives Higgins an exasperated look Mad. It is hilarious!
Aah, great spot there IslandHopper! I hadn't noticed that before. It is indeed quite funny! Magnum, the ex-Navy Seal who swims daily and can tread water for 24 hours, gets schooled by ...... [drum roll]

:)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by lutherhgillis »

I don't think this is a "spot". It was obvious! It was another way they kept Magnum 'real' and vulnerable. Everyone knew he was not a true competitor in this type of event (even though he was in geart shape).

The thing about the heavy woman is hilarious, however.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#13 Post by Italian Ice »

I first watched this episode in the early 90's late one night after getting home from work and said to myself that I would participate in an IronMan competition one day. Still clinging to that one, lol, but I'm still young and can train for it, but with my commitments it wouldn't be easy.

I didn't know the voice of Mrs. Krabbapel was here until I just read it now!

Hololulu Lulu's is too funny. I wonder if there's such a place. If not, somebody should get permission to open up a business of some sort and use that name...
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:The scene where Magnum is asking Higgins' to have the Ferrari delivered to Honolulu Lulu's is one of my favorite all time scenes. In that scene you see Higgins really give a great big belly laugh, which is rare.
I just added this to the 'Audio' section of the site. Great scene!

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Honolulu_Lulus.html

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:James, do you think the scene with Higgins laughing out loud in "Beauty Knows No Pain" deserves consideration for best scenes? If it's not already included, of course.
I agree. It deserves to be included in the "Classic Scenes" list. So, eight months later I've added it to the list. ;)

One of the other things I love about this scene is all the old pinball machines in the background. I can only identify one, however - Laguna Beach (from 1960). I love pinball.

Also, I just noticed that a garbage dumpster in front of "Honolulu Lulu's" identifies its location as Pearl City. I could be wrong, but I believe this is the only known (identified) filming location to take place in Pearl City.