6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 124

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#46 Post by rubber chicken »

It looks to me like they put black tape over where Bianchi would be on the down tube and seat tube.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Yes, it really looks like tape over the company logo.
I am training for a triathlon at the moment, and I don't think Magnum looks as if he is suffering enough! My bike sessions are one long stretch of horror! :wink:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#48 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:I am training for a triathlon at the moment, and I don't think Magnum looks as if he is suffering enough! My bike sessions are one long stretch of horror! :wink:
That's the joke about this episode... I mean, I know that Magnum is a fit guy who runs on the beach and takes his surfski out regularly, but actually competing in an Ironman (2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike and a marathon (26.2 miles) run? That's a whole different ballgame.

Still, for some reason it doesn't detract from the episode.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I think I found a mistake. I noticed that here on MAGNUM MANIA Winrich Kolbe is listed as the director of this episode. But on IMDB Ray Austin is listed as the director. Also as I watched the episode on Hulu it also showed Ray Austin as the director.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#50 Post by J.J. Walters »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:I think I found a mistake. I noticed that here on MAGNUM MANIA Winrich Kolbe is listed as the director of this episode. But on IMDB Ray Austin is listed as the director. Also as I watched the episode on Hulu it also showed Ray Austin as the director.
Oops! Not sure how that happened!? :oops:

I've corrected it. Thanks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

J.J. Walters wrote:Oops! Not sure how that happened!? :oops:

I've corrected it. Thanks!
No problem :)

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I rated this a 9. One of the best shows of the season. And I also liked the Iron Man theme.
I personally have given up on the triathlon. I just cannot do the bike part. I am too scared of going fast! I just concentrate on my running.

But as I have been there myself, I know what Magnum is going through. And I also know it would be impossible to compete in an Iron Man (or even a Marathon) with only a couple of weeks' training. And in this episode he can't have had much more than a few weeks. So the whole thing's a flub.

The "heavy woman" coming out of the water ahead of Magnum can also be seen at the beach before the start. There she startled me for the first time.

But then again, when I ran a Marathon 2 weeks ago, I have seen women way heavier than me. I don't know if they finished the race though. :wink:

Also it was funny to see how few people participated in those days. These days there are about 2000 athletes taking part.

mandolabar
Captain

#53 Post by mandolabar »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:I love the briefly insane look Magnum, with gun in hand, gives Higgins.
This brief interchange--Higgins coming up with "there's no way you'll win," blithely ignorant of all the other goings-on, and Magnum's wordless-but-so-clear thought process as he looks at Higgins in disbelief, then at the gun, and back....I laughed so hard the first time I saw that, I missed the rest of the scene and had to go back. And I still laugh, every time. That is my Absolute Favorite Scene (so far) in the entire series.

~Amanda
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

Bes
Commander

#54 Post by Bes »

Classic Magnum episode - rewatched it on Saturday. The looking at the gun moment is hilarious!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Magnum is a terrible pool player. Well aside from his not getting a chance to get a shot. He never allows the shooter room for a shot. he's like a bump on a log. It was fun to see the back of Ala moana shopping center back in the day. Scene when they on dabus. NO such b.g. noise here as represented in the scene. They do not honk all the time, or anywhere near that. If at all. exept in waiks. and ya know why.
Boy. barbara was an ijit. "But i dont HAVETA go to the bathroom!" Waidaminnit! The tailers car was not on jacks until the last moment! he walks back to his car and we see plain as day ALL four tires making contact with the asphalt. Cut to mag. Cut to the tailer in the car, pull back as he attempts to pull away, we see the 2 back tires NOW suddenly elevated by two hydraulic floorjacks. He kicks the tire and comically, the car drops to the ground, but jacks hold a car's weight fully with no drop at all, unless a stagehand is out of frame twisting the handle lever on the small diameter pressure piston, releasing hydraulic pressure in the jack.

"I'm at ... honolulu lulu's pool hall. corner of Ka'ula and Hanaliki."
First off, NO pool hall was EVER. Nor would one have been, EVER called anything close to that. this sounds like a tikki tacky teekee bar made for tourists only in waikiki. Secondly, no such street names exist as those quoted.
"dumpster in front of "Honolulu Lulu's" identifies its location as Pearl City. I could be wrong, but I believe this is the only known (identified) filming location to take place in Pearl City." This doesn't identify the filming location as IN Pearl City. This was filmed mauka of ala Moana shopping center, in Honolulu. Not pearl city. The refuse company just happens to be centralized in Pearl City. And they offer service all throughout 'Oahu. Mag COULD have asked higgy to have the ferarri dropped off at Sears Ala Moana, mauka parking lot. As he was RIGHT there. But then that would not have made as comical a scene.

I remember those old Diamond Head soda cans from the 80's seen in Mag's reefer... Propmaster put it upside down to prevent too obvious an "accidental product placement" I always love seeing that Tongan tapa on Mag's wall. No one walks around kama'aina homes, even guest quarters in their shoes. Ya ALLLways hemo da shoes before entering da hale. Nice b.g. shot of the Makapu'u lighthouse as he goes to the estate. The lady dissuading them from the chapel who then photographs the newly weds who happen to be obviously Kanaka maoli, and who obviously have surnames that the haole woman cannot pronounce, as she only says "ok you stand here missis... and you stand there mister... uh..." Jeeeez. The bruddah at da race, i think Num. 68, was also an extra on dabus next to Babs.
"rejoice, rejoice. then fell dead. there's a lesson there"; Mag's look on his face!
great reaction scene when Mag turns around on the bike!
"bougainvillea pricilla" uh i don't think that exists. AND.. the haole pronounces it wrong. It is bow, gunn veeyuh.
NOT bouganvillia. he just read the script without knowing what he was saying. chump. huhuuuh. Actually, There are at least six legitimate ways to pronounce this plant name. But the haole way is the most jejune.
Higgybaby observes in the gardens...
"Heliconia caribaea commonly called lobster claw." (Actually, Heliconia rostrata and Heliconia bihai are known as lobster claw)
(The Marks' estate is covered with that. It's like a weed, it is so pervasive and almost invasive.)
"alparia (or did Higgy say alcaria..) indigenous to new quinea". never heard of it.
"alpinia oceania. spendid." (There is such a plant as Alpinia galanga... It is from the ginger family and used in cooking.
And then the money shot. "You know of course, you have no chaunce of winning." Mag looks at higgy, with appropriate incredulity, then the gun, and contemplates... hahahaaah!

grundle
Admiral

Re: Beauty Knows No Pain (1.18)

#56 Post by grundle »

R.I.P.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/marci ... 12041.html

Marcia Wallace, Star of 'The Simpsons' and 'Bob Newhart Show,' Dies at 70

October 26, 2013

Marcia Wallace, an Emmy-winning character actress on two of TV's most enduring shows, has died. She was 70.

Wallace passed away Friday in Los Angeles. Her cause of death was not immediately announced, but Cathryn Michon, who co-wrote and directed Wallace's final movie, "Muffin Top," gave this statement to Deadline: "She passed at 9 p.m. last night due to complications from breast cancer of which she was a long and proud survivor and advocate for women and healing. Ironically it was during breast cancer awareness month during which she was always a funny ray of hope for so many. I’m devastated."

Wallace rose to fame in the 1970s as joke-cracking receptionist Carol Kester on "The Bob Newhart Show." The role of Kester was written specifically for Wallace after producers took note of her many appearances on "The Merv Griffin Show."

In 1992, Wallace earned an Emmy for her voice-over work on "The Simpsons" as Bart's long-suffering Springfield Elementary School teacher Edna Krabappel, who had an affinity for men, booze, and cigarettes. Wallace provided the pipes for other "Simpsons" characters, including Ms. Mellon in "Bart the Genius," Enchantra in "Marge Gamer," and Mrs. Krabapatra in "Simpsons Bible Stories."

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by MagnumILWU »

Just one of my favorite all time episodes! I prefer the earlier, fun episodes, like this one. Higgins is just so funny in it! Does Magnum wear the #62 during the race, because Tom Selleck got out of high school in 62?
"pickled egg please"

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this episode last night and it was quite good fun.

Two things I noticed, Marcia Wallace is no oil painting, but as someone said before it made a nice change of pace for a guest star actress not to have be TM's love interest plus she acted the part out well.

Secondly I noticed another Higgins accent slip up, he said "vie-ta-mens" and not "vitt-uh-mens" as an Englishman would.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#59 Post by Hawaii Winds »

At the end of this episode, when the entire cast is sitting at the estate, they end up watching the news broadcast of the Ironman Triathalon, the voice of the broadcaster was none other than Jeff Mackay....

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#60 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hawaii Winds wrote:At the end of this episode, when the entire cast is sitting at the estate, they end up watching the news broadcast of the Ironman Triathalon, the voice of the broadcaster was none other than Jeff Mackay....
Wow, I never noticed that!