6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 124

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#31 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

I just registered with a reference to one of my favorite episodes, so of course my first posting has to be about "Beauty Knows No Pain." Recently I had a few girlfriends over to watch Magnum with me and I chose this episode because it contains some classic examples of Higgins, T.C., Rick, and Magnum at their comic best. Plus one of my friends grew up on Oahu and she was able to see some great, non-tourist sights. My two favorite scenes are Magnum on the bus holding a day-old sandwich and Babs fighting off the Feds as they try to stuff her into their car . . . priceless! :lol:
Rack em up!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Honolulu Lulu wrote:I just registered with a reference to one of my favorite episodes, so of course my first posting has to be about "Beauty Knows No Pain." Recently I had a few girlfriends over to watch Magnum with me and I chose this episode because it contains some classic examples of Higgins, T.C., Rick, and Magnum at their comic best. Plus one of my friends grew up on Oahu and she was able to see some great, non-tourist sights. My two favorite scenes are Magnum on the bus holding a day-old sandwich and Babs fighting off the Feds as they try to stuff her into their car . . . priceless! :lol:
Thanks for all the recent posts Lulu. Love the name! Welcome to the forum.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome aboard Honolulu Lulu! Good to have you here! :)

"Honolulu Lulu's! I don't believe it. (laughs) I'll send one of the gardeners over. Oh, and Magnum, don't forget to tell him what bus to take back. I wouldn't want him to make the wrong transfer, or whatever it is one does on a bus. (laughs)"

LOVE this episode!

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#34 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

Thanks for the welcome J.J.! And thanks for making me laugh all over again by including some of the funniest lines from this episode. :lol:
Rack em up!

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#35 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

Thanks for all the recent posts Lulu. Love the name! Welcome to the forum.
Styles, I thought I'd learn how to add quotes as I respond to your welcome message! Glad you like my name. I must say, I joined the forum mostly so I could use the name and the hilarious photo of Babs bracing herself for a fight with the Feds. (I still laugh out loud just thinking of this episode!) :lol:

Your profile image is on the Robin's Nest beach, isn't it? I hope to take my husband and three sons there soon!
Rack em up!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by AmandaByNight »

It's been eons since I've seen this one. Glad there's been some recent posting on it. I'm going to rewatch it soon. I LOVE Marcia Wallace... I think I almost forgot she did a Magnum. Shame on me!

Styles Bitchley

#37 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Honolulu Lulu wrote:Your profile image is on the Robin's Nest beach, isn't it? I hope to take my husband and three sons there soon!
Yep, it is. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Don't forget to bring a picnic and a bathing suit!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Ehh...this is one of those so-so episodes....average at best, and I rated it as such.

I remember the secretary lady from one of the "Bob Newhart" shows as the main guest-star (Marcia Wallace??), and she was kind of funny in parts. The comedy between T.C., Rick, Higgins, and Magnum was also pretty good...but overall I just found this one kind of boring and not that interesting. :?

By no means is this a terrible episode....just not really that intriguing or good either. I wish they'd of had a better one for the season finale. This is an episode that should've been stuck in the middle of the season...sort of a "filler" while awaiting more awesome episodes. Even though it's fine where it did air...I think "Lest We Forget" would have made the perfect season finale!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

ANGLICO
Ensign

#39 Post by ANGLICO »

This is a pretty good episode. I would hold it in more regard if not for the fact that triathalons are one of my hobbies. It drives me crazy that Magnum gets the distances wrong throughout the episode and that somehow in his world the run and bike portions get flipped.

In reality, the 1981 Iron Man was the first to move to Kona on the big island. I personally wish they would have left it in the original location, I hate change just for the sake of change. Anyway, it is a 2.4 mile swin, a 112 mile bike ride, and then a marathon.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Actually, even though the character of Magnum was always supposed to be in great shape, and could with-stand practically anything...I always laughed at the amount of beer the dude drank! :o

I mean...really...there's no way in reality that Magnum could drink that many Coops (obviously an ode to the real-life Coors) beers and still be in that wonderful of shape and be able to do the wild, action-packed things he does! I like beer too...but come on! :)

I always laughed when, after jogging or running on the beach, Magnum would come running up to the beach-bar of the King Kamehameha Club and ask for a beer! :lol: I know enough to know (with being a jogger and all) that if you drink alcohol right after exercising you end up with one heck of a headache! :shock: It's called major dehydration--which ="hangover"! :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Magnum T. »

Miss Barbara Terranova hires Magnum to find her husband-to-be Roger in just 24 hours (she can afford Magnum's services for one day only).
While investigating, Magnum is "forced" to enter the "Iron Man", a sport competition for... aspiring suicides.

A funny episode to watch (as I said, I like the ones with a light mood).
The plot is a little... thin but, as usual, Magnum/Higgins interaction is worth the price of the ticket (so to speak).
Some scenes are pretty predictable (like Babs kicking Magnum's butt at Honolulu Lulu's) but the training scenes are nice and the triathlon segment with Magnum at the mercy of his... team is quite hilarious.

Plus: enjoyable episode with some very funny moments.
Minus: not one of the most intriguing plots.
Best line:
Higgins: You realize, of course, you have no chance of winning.
(Magnum looks at the gun he's holding)

Notes:
- team ring on left hand
- the bicycle has been identified as a Bianchi on the episode guide page. I am no racing-bicycles expert, but I can clearly see on the front of the bike the logo of Piaggio, an Italian motorcycles manufacturer, worldwide known for its iconic scooter Vespa.
- in a 3/4 front shoot of Magnum and Babs into the Ferrari, chased by the guy in the sedan, they don't look like Tom Selleck and Marcia Wallace.
- Louise Lewis will return in "Ghost Writer" (2.12); Curtis Credel has already appeared uncredited in "Adelaide" (1.14).

Funny thing: when Magnum emerges from the sea at the end of the swimming segment of the "Iron Man", there is a woman... not in the best of her shape, slightly ahead of him! :lol:
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley

#42 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've always liked this episode.

- J.Q.H.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#43 Post by rubber chicken »

Concerning the Bianchi / Piaggio point, from what I've found on the web Piaggio owned Bianchi from 1980 to 1984. It's noted in the right column under Team Name History here, and also talked about here among other places on the web. Calling it a Bianchi is correct, as Bianchi was the actual maker of the bikes. Bianchi Piaggio or Piaggio Bianchi is also used for referring to Bianchi bikes from those years, such as this one from 1983. That bike looks like Magnum's as far as I can tell from screenshots. Nowadays paint designs change yearly, but I guess they didn't change as often back then, since the Magnum bike would probably have been a 1980 or 81 model.

To compare to the linked bike, here's the bike in this episode:

and The Jororo Kill (2.13):

David Bannister must have picked it up second-hand. ;)

Styles Bitchley

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Funny how it doesn't say Bianchi on the side. Would it have been painted over on purpose?

- J.Q.H.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Magnum T. »

rubber chicken wrote:Concerning the Bianchi / Piaggio point, from what I've found on the web Piaggio owned Bianchi from 1980 to 1984.
I had figured out something like that but didn't had the time to check.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"