2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 124

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Beauty Knows No Pain (1.18)

#61 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This one was an alright episode, but not one of my favorites.

It was another one of the "Magnum's client completely lies about why they hired him so he has no idea what he's really doing" episodes that didn't appeal too much to me. It was also a stretch that Magnum would be put in the Ironman and get trained by his client when it was clear that he was in trouble with both the mob and the feds. They just put that on the backburner while he did the race? TC said he bet everything he had on Magnum to win and yet he still had everything the next episode. It was also a stretch that the hitman had the guy digging up the gardens at gunpoint when there were that many people hanging around the place.

I did like the client making Magnum take the bus rather than waste time getting his car which clearly would've saved time in the long run. It was also a great plot to have Magnum realise where the money was hidden when he went by the gardens.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by magnumette »

Just finished watching this episode . So light hearted and fun. I'm a fanof Marcia Wallace. I love the magnum/higgins gun scene but I was just as incredulous as Magnum about Roger's proposal. When he is reunited and said Of course didnt you get my postcard? That cracked me up. When I was in Hawaii, rode the bus to Ala Moana and thought I recognized it. Thanks Bruddah K for confirming this .

magnum1911
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#63 Post by magnum1911 »

At the end when Higgins informs Magnum that he can no longer win the race is priceless. I love the way TM looks at the gun in his hand like he wants to shoot Higgins with it. Always makes me laugh.

DiggerDoyle
Ensign

#64 Post by DiggerDoyle »

I always thought the plot of this episode was a bit silly, but it still is one of my all time favourite episodes. I think mainly because of the humour. The whole Ironman scene is one of the best scenes or scenarios in Magnum history!

Turkey
Admiral

#65 Post by Turkey »

magnum1911 wrote:At the end when Higgins informs Magnum that he can no longer win the race is priceless. I love the way TM looks at the gun in his hand like he wants to shoot Higgins with it. Always makes me laugh.
Me too, definitely a high point of the episode.

Good stuff with Higgins laughing and some of the furious looks Magnum gives the others throughout, perfect
Make it two weeks.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Milton Collins »

This is a fun episode and I gave it an 8.0

- Marcia Wallace was hilarious and played a great character. I love her assessment of Magnum's body type and athletic ability when TC was trying to talk TM into joining the Iron Man in the guest house lol.

- TM riding the bus and then Higgins laughing at him was pretty funny too. These early ones had so much more tension between TM and Higgy baby which was more how I liked their love-hate relationship rather than the almost goofy friendship they seemed to have later on in the show. And that was ok too, just different:)

- The somewhat light plot aside, the Iron Man was the best part for me. Seeing TM being coached by Marcia "Barbara" and the guys including Higgins was so much fun! And as has been mentioned, I laughed when I spotted an older not overly physically fit woman running onto the beach after the swimming portion AHEAD of TM ha ha.

- Interesting that outside the church he told Barbara that he had never been married (MICHELLE!!!) but perhaps he just didn't want to get into that long drawn out story with her? Not overly important just something I noticed.

Overall another very solid episode in the always stellar season 1.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by KingKC »

This episode was a ton of fun to watch. Marcia Wallace is just too good and played a fantastic role. Stuck in my mind is a scene where she and TM are riding in the back of a bus and she offers to share a sandwich with him to save expenses. It was great to see the gang, including Higgins, come together to support Magnum in the Iron Man Race. It was hilarious when he turned the bicycle against the flow to go solve the case. This episode definitely established the ability to have a lighthearted case that competes with the serious ones. I think the timing of it right after the J. Digger Doyle episode is perfect. This episode along with the whole first season actually made me look forward to summer reruns as well as the next season. By this time I could not get enough MPI. I was hooked!!

KingKC

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#68 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Excellent episode, it captures the elements that make Magnum a fun show to watch. The Iron Man theme is great and it doesn't surprise me that he had a chance to finish in the top 10, I think they should have done another one of these later in the series somehow. Another flub is Marcia saying " a bike like that only ways 7 pounds" that's ridiculous because a modern carbon fiber racing bike like the S-Works Tarmac ultralight weighs about twice that and I'm sure TMs was a Chromalloy bike probably in the 20lb range. I also never thought it was that far fetched that Magnum could do the whole race, he ran 8 miles everyday and swam. He was also an Ex Navy Seal, who are known for mental toughness and intestinal fortitude. And of course the Higgins gun moment was hilarious. I liked how TC still got his advertisement air time as well.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#69 Post by K Hale »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:The whole Ironman contest is really amusing to watch. I love how Babs, Rick and T.C. fuss over Magnum, getting him ready for the next course, while Higgins stands around babbling away to himself.
The Iron Man scenes make this episode, for me. Everyone madly working together as a pit crew to get TM from event to event, with Thomas complaining all the way. Poor guy never had his heart in it. I can imagine an event like this takes much more than simply being athletic and in great shape. Not to mention the 7 pound bicycle.

The discourse on the history of marathons by the exercise-averse Higgins had a great tag line. After describing how the original Greek marathon runner delivered the message and then dropped dead, he added, "There's a lesson in that." :lol: Coupled with him cheerfully telling Magnum "Training is hell" or something like that, makes me feel like this is a bit of a prequel to "Computer Date" where Magnum put together a rather harsh training regimen for JQH.
Last edited by K Hale on Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by KingKC »

My (step) son-in-law competes in Iron Man competitions and every time he does it reminds me of this episode, which was one of my all-time favorites. He is real serious about these races and even has a special order bicycle costing thousands which he uses. He runs, swims and rides in all sorts of races all over the country and usually does quite well for his age group. It is amazing what will trigger a memory of MPI.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

This episode could have been so much better - if it hadn't been ruined by bad casting. Although I thought Marcia Wallace was brilliant as Edna Krabappel, here she doesn't fit at all. I can't believe that she's a "fitness instructor" or that Roger would be madly in love with her. She has no chemistry with Roger. I would have liked to see a more realistic couple.

The mob guy is very badly cast. Yes, they were looking for a (too obvious) "surprise twist" about the good guy being the bad guy, so they needed someone who looked innocent - but this guy is too unbelievable.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by K Hale »

There is a throwaway line in this that I just love. Barbara takes out the photo of her husband, and at the point the photo was taken, the man vaguely resembles Higgins. Higgins then says, "Fine figure of a man."

I want to believe that was an ad lib, because it would be the best one I ever heard. Even if it wasn't, it's an hilarious line.

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#73 Post by Mr. Keoki »

The more I times I watch each episode the more subtleties I catch, which make it such a great series.

I love Higgins walking around the gardens... There is no much going on around him, but he doesn't care at all. Haha.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Warden95
Ensign

#74 Post by Warden95 »

Isn’t the heavy woman coming out of the water ahead of Magnum the real owner of Robin’s Nest,,,Eve Anderson?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by 308GUY »

Warden95 wrote:Isn’t the heavy woman coming out of the water ahead of Magnum the real owner of Robin’s Nest,,,Eve Anderson?
Yes....you can see her in several shots during the swimming event.

Also...welcome aboard! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"