It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 19%  19%  [ 16 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 21%  21%  [ 18 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 21%  21%  [ 18 ]
7.5 (Decent) 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 86
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 am 
Admiral

This one was an alright episode, but not one of my favorites.

It was another one of the "Magnum's client completely lies about why they hired him so he has no idea what he's really doing" episodes that didn't appeal too much to me. It was also a stretch that Magnum would be put in the Ironman and get trained by his client when it was clear that he was in trouble with both the mob and the feds. They just put that on the backburner while he did the race? TC said he bet everything he had on Magnum to win and yet he still had everything the next episode. It was also a stretch that the hitman had the guy digging up the gardens at gunpoint when there were that many people hanging around the place.

I did like the client making Magnum take the bus rather than waste time getting his car which clearly would've saved time in the long run. It was also a great plot to have Magnum realise where the money was hidden when he went by the gardens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 am 
Lieutenant Commander

Just finished watching this episode . So light hearted and fun. I'm a fanof Marcia Wallace. I love the magnum/higgins gun scene but I was just as incredulous as Magnum about Roger's proposal. When he is reunited and said Of course didnt you get my postcard? That cracked me up. When I was in Hawaii, rode the bus to Ala Moana and thought I recognized it. Thanks Bruddah K for confirming this .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:47 pm 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

At the end when Higgins informs Magnum that he can no longer win the race is priceless. I love the way TM looks at the gun in his hand like he wants to shoot Higgins with it. Always makes me laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:40 pm 
Ensign

I always thought the plot of this episode was a bit silly, but it still is one of my all time favourite episodes. I think mainly because of the humour. The whole Ironman scene is one of the best scenes or scenarios in Magnum history!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:00 am 
Admiral

magnum1911 wrote:
At the end when Higgins informs Magnum that he can no longer win the race is priceless. I love the way TM looks at the gun in his hand like he wants to shoot Higgins with it. Always makes me laugh.

Me too, definitely a high point of the episode.

Good stuff with Higgins laughing and some of the furious looks Magnum gives the others throughout, perfect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:51 pm 
Fleet Admiral

This is a fun episode and I gave it an 8.0

- Marcia Wallace was hilarious and played a great character. I love her assessment of Magnum's body type and athletic ability when TC was trying to talk TM into joining the Iron Man in the guest house lol.

- TM riding the bus and then Higgins laughing at him was pretty funny too. These early ones had so much more tension between TM and Higgy baby which was more how I liked their love-hate relationship rather than the almost goofy friendship they seemed to have later on in the show. And that was ok too, just different:)

- The somewhat light plot aside, the Iron Man was the best part for me. Seeing TM being coached by Marcia "Barbara" and the guys including Higgins was so much fun! And as has been mentioned, I laughed when I spotted an older not overly physically fit woman running onto the beach after the swimming portion AHEAD of TM ha ha.

- Interesting that outside the church he told Barbara that he had never been married (MICHELLE!!!) but perhaps he just didn't want to get into that long drawn out story with her? Not overly important just something I noticed.

Overall another very solid episode in the always stellar season 1.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:30 am 
Fleet Admiral

This episode was a ton of fun to watch. Marcia Wallace is just too good and played a fantastic role. Stuck in my mind is a scene where she and TM are riding in the back of a bus and she offers to share a sandwich with him to save expenses. It was great to see the gang, including Higgins, come together to support Magnum in the Iron Man Race. It was hilarious when he turned the bicycle against the flow to go solve the case. This episode definitely established the ability to have a lighthearted case that competes with the serious ones. I think the timing of it right after the J. Digger Doyle episode is perfect. This episode along with the whole first season actually made me look forward to summer reruns as well as the next season. By this time I could not get enough MPI. I was hooked!!

KingKC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 pm 
Lieutenant Commander

Excellent episode, it captures the elements that make Magnum a fun show to watch. The Iron Man theme is great and it doesn't surprise me that he had a chance to finish in the top 10, I think they should have done another one of these later in the series somehow. Another flub is Marcia saying " a bike like that only ways 7 pounds" that's ridiculous because a modern carbon fiber racing bike like the S-Works Tarmac ultralight weighs about twice that and I'm sure TMs was a Chromalloy bike probably in the 20lb range. I also never thought it was that far fetched that Magnum could do the whole race, he ran 8 miles everyday and swam. He was also an Ex Navy Seal, who are known for mental toughness and intestinal fortitude. And of course the Higgins gun moment was hilarious. I liked how TC still got his advertisement air time as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7