Magnum actor suggestion

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Waltstasz
Admiral

Magnum actor suggestion

#1 Post by Waltstasz »

Okay, I have a friend who is also a Magnum fan. We were talking about the show and he suggested an actor for the Magnum movie. His thought process was basically trying to find an actor who fit into some criteria that would be needed to play Magnum. In no particular order:
1) star power
2) acting chops
3) sex appeal :oops:
4) comidic ability
5) self depricating
6) believable as ex-Navy Seal

Based on this he suggested.......

Will Smith. I thought about it and couldn't disagee. Smith could pull it off. Thoughts? And yes, I agree that Selleck would be better, but apparently he isn't an option at this point.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#2 Post by golfmobile »

Well, he bombed as "The Wild, Wild West," so personally I don't see it at all. I like him in the proper vehicle (e.g., "Independence Day"), but Magnum didn't wear earrings!! Will Smith does -- personally, UGH!!

I still vote for Brendan Fraser (TM), Omar Epps (TC -- he's such a good whiner in "House," he'd fit right into the TC mold), Matthew Perry as Rick, and Alan Rickman as Higgins.

But then we all have our own opinions on this subject. . . . .

This is, OF COURSE, since we can't have original cast, ALWAYS first choice!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#3 Post by SelleckLover »

As long as we're voting...I vote for Eric Dane as TM (McSteamy on Grey's Anatomy), LLCool J as TC, have to go with golf's pick of Matthew Perry as Rick also, but my pick for Higgins would be Bob Hoskins. JMHO! :D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree with using the original cast!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Seaver41 »

as posted in another thread........Gerard Butler.......plenty macho as King Leonidas in '300' and has a softer/comedic side.........as in P.S., I love you (chickflick). He can do an American accent.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

Taking all six of your requirements into account, especially the self deprecating, humorous qualities, the only Actor I come up with is George Clooney. Of course I vote for the original cast first.........

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

Only one for me would be Michael Ballack. To bad he is German and no actor, but when he quits playing soccer and starts to think about a second career that man is the only one who has the looks IMO. No, really I am serious!! Now I have to try to upload a pic....
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Steve, I think Clooney would be a decent choice. If they are dead set on making this movie I think I'd rather see him than anyone else, and I believe I have stated that here somewhere before. I just hope the casting is done to mimic to original as much as possible instead of making another slapstick comedy.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Seaver41 »

a spoof might be the only option...........the series fans are up in arms about no Selleck.........and with the failure of Miami Vice..........and success of Starsky & Hutch.........do the math.

all in all..........I wouldn't expect a serious drama/action flick..............I'd lean more towards Beverly Hills Cop style......

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote: . . . George Clooney . . .

Oh

my

GOD!!!

I think he's a bit to smarmy for the part. I actually thought of all the names out there, Mcconaughey was a decent choice. His acting chops are understated (I thought he was very good in A Time to Kill) and he's got the confident, kid-like, strong, yet vulnerable thing going on. I think he would be decent.

As for the rest . . .

Bernie Mac probably would have been a good TC. Maybe Ving Rhames?
Rick . . . I always thought this was a really tough casting. How do not make him too much of a joke? Maybe Luke Wilson.
Higgins is also very difficult because of, well, he's Higgins!!!!! Bob Hoskins is probably a very good choice here.
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

Seaver41 wrote:a spoof might be the only option...........the series fans are up in arms about no Selleck.........and with the failure of Miami Vice..........and success of Starsky & Hutch.........do the math.

all in all..........I wouldn't expect a serious drama/action flick..............I'd lean more towards Beverly Hills Cop style......
I am afraid you are so right, especially with the idiot they have writing the script. I think Miami Vice was an incredible movie, it actually (in my opinion)captured the essence of a very popular, ground breaking show without the original cast, but of course it had the man that gave birth to the series as the director, Michael Mann. It's too bad Bellisario didn't go on to become a great film director as he probably could have pulled this movie off without making it a parody.....

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Seaver41 »

actually I thought the movie was a flop and I couldn't stand it. All they did was some cop drama and stole popular character names to hype it. There wasn't much of anything like Crockett and Tubbs that we who watched it in the 80's liked.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

what about this............make the movie a spoof and SOMEHOW get Tom Selleck to do the voice over narration.............he could goof on the 'replacement' characters and add in what HE would've done.....etc.........that would be quite a coup.

that way we'd be riding shotgun with Tom and our displeasure in seeing strangers in the roles. I think that would be hilarious.

instead of director/producer running from the problem of old vs new.......embrace the controversy and use it as a running gag.

can you imagine it......."I know what you're thinking, THESE guys are terrible........" :lol:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

Seaver,

That WOULD be very clever, and I'm sure I'd like it. But, again, we have no idea (nor any input!) as to what is going to be done. As far as I'm concerned, the longer they put it off and DON'T do it, the better. At least that way, they can't ruin it!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#15 Post by N1095A »

Seaver41 wrote:what about this............make the movie a spoof and SOMEHOW get Tom Selleck to do the voice over narration.............he could goof on the 'replacement' characters and add in what HE would've done.....etc.........that would be quite a coup.

that way we'd be riding shotgun with Tom and our displeasure in seeing strangers in the roles. I think that would be hilarious.

instead of director/producer running from the problem of old vs new.......embrace the controversy and use it as a running gag.

can you imagine it......."I know what you're thinking, THESE guys are terrible........" :lol:
Have TS, Mosley, Manetti, and Hillerman give it the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 treatment. I could get behind that!
"But Higgins, I can explain."