Magnum actor suggestion

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

Seaver41 wrote:a spoof might be the only option...........the series fans are up in arms about no Selleck.........and with the failure of Miami Vice..........and success of Starsky & Hutch.........do the math.

all in all..........I wouldn't expect a serious drama/action flick..............I'd lean more towards Beverly Hills Cop style......
I am afraid you are so right, especially with the idiot they have writing the script. I think Miami Vice was an incredible movie, it actually (in my opinion)captured the essence of a very popular, ground breaking show without the original cast, but of course it had the man that gave birth to the series as the director, Michael Mann. It's too bad Bellisario didn't go on to become a great film director as he probably could have pulled this movie off without making it a parody.....

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Seaver41 »

actually I thought the movie was a flop and I couldn't stand it. All they did was some cop drama and stole popular character names to hype it. There wasn't much of anything like Crockett and Tubbs that we who watched it in the 80's liked.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

what about this............make the movie a spoof and SOMEHOW get Tom Selleck to do the voice over narration.............he could goof on the 'replacement' characters and add in what HE would've done.....etc.........that would be quite a coup.

that way we'd be riding shotgun with Tom and our displeasure in seeing strangers in the roles. I think that would be hilarious.

instead of director/producer running from the problem of old vs new.......embrace the controversy and use it as a running gag.

can you imagine it......."I know what you're thinking, THESE guys are terrible........" :lol:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

Seaver,

That WOULD be very clever, and I'm sure I'd like it. But, again, we have no idea (nor any input!) as to what is going to be done. As far as I'm concerned, the longer they put it off and DON'T do it, the better. At least that way, they can't ruin it!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#15 Post by N1095A »

Seaver41 wrote:what about this............make the movie a spoof and SOMEHOW get Tom Selleck to do the voice over narration.............he could goof on the 'replacement' characters and add in what HE would've done.....etc.........that would be quite a coup.

that way we'd be riding shotgun with Tom and our displeasure in seeing strangers in the roles. I think that would be hilarious.

instead of director/producer running from the problem of old vs new.......embrace the controversy and use it as a running gag.

can you imagine it......."I know what you're thinking, THESE guys are terrible........" :lol:
Have TS, Mosley, Manetti, and Hillerman give it the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 treatment. I could get behind that!
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#16 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

N1095A wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:what about this............make the movie a spoof and SOMEHOW get Tom Selleck to do the voice over narration.............he could goof on the 'replacement' characters and add in what HE would've done.....etc.........that would be quite a coup.

Have TS, Mosley, Manetti, and Hillerman give it the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 treatment. I could get behind that!
Now that would be a great idea! Make the movie!

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by arri »

John Hamm as Magnum
LL as TC
Zahn as Rick
Giamatti as Higgins

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#18 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I actually dont know who should play TM or Higgins or TC or Rick. It is really a hard decision.

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#19 Post by arri »

Steve wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:a spoof might be the only option...........the series fans are up in arms about no Selleck.........and with the failure of Miami Vice..........and success of Starsky & Hutch.........do the math.

all in all..........I wouldn't expect a serious drama/action flick..............I'd lean more towards Beverly Hills Cop style......
I am afraid you are so right, especially with the idiot they have writing the script. I think Miami Vice was an incredible movie, it actually (in my opinion)captured the essence of a very popular, ground breaking show without the original cast, but of course it had the man that gave birth to the series as the director, Michael Mann. It's too bad Bellisario didn't go on to become a great film director as he probably could have pulled this movie off without making it a parody.....
I think all the fans would like to see the original cast..but movies are about making money and I don't think the networks would get behind the original cast. They'd need an A-lister...

the apprentice
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by the apprentice »

tom selleck is a -lister
magnum, i do say

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Seaver41 »

Seaver41 wrote:as posted in another thread........Gerard Butler.......plenty macho as King Leonidas in '300' and has a softer/comedic side.........as in P.S., I love you (chickflick). He can do an American accent.
hate to quote myself, but I offer another piece of propaganda to support the idea of Gerard Butler as Magnum in the movie.......

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... amer_.html

Since his breakthrough role as the hulking King Leonidas in "300," Butler has been sprinting down a bizarre career path — one where he is equally comfortable portraying a lover or a fighter. He says he needs to recharge his batteries, physically and emotionally, after doing an action movie with a romantic comedy or a drama.

"There's been a lot of door-to-door 16-hour days," said Butler, "but just by the nature of what we do, you laugh a lot. ... It's breezier. And I'm not spending all this extra time doing gun training. But by the same token, you miss the testosterone."

It isn't even out of his range to muscle his way into a musical, as he did for 2004's "The Phantom of the Opera."

"It all starts with the fact that Gerard Butler is a hell of a good actor and has a wonderful sense of humor," said Richard Donner, Butler's director on the 2003 action movie "Timeline," via e-mail.

"He's ‘a man's man', the kind of a person you want to go have a couple of beers with."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z0PgQeAdM2

I'm pretty sure you can't get a much better qualification for Magnum than that.......

Henry Lewis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#22 Post by Henry Lewis »

Well, every few years you need to recast this fantasy film of ours as the proposed actors get long in the tooth. George Clooney is near 50 and I think we can write him off. My choice right now is Aaron Eckhart. Very outdoorsy guy with western sensibilities (from Bozeman, Montana). He attended the Oahu campus of BYU and says he surfed everyday. Heck, he even resembles Selleck. Check it out...

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture ... khart.html
TM: Hey Henry, how about a little one-on-one?
HL: One-on-one with who?
TM: With me.
HL: Oh come on, you gotta be kidding.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Henry Lewis wrote:Well, every few years you need to recast this fantasy film of ours as the proposed actors get long in the tooth. George Clooney is near 50 and I think we can write him off. My choice right now is Aaron Eckhart. Very outdoorsy guy with western sensibilities (from Bozeman, Montana). He attended the Oahu campus of BYU and says he surfed everyday. Heck, he even resembles Selleck. Check it out...

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture ... khart.html
Kind of reminds me of Daniel Craig as James Bond. Could work, but you'd have to see it on the screen before judging. By then it might be too late!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#24 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Apparently, they have all the actors according a report to this article on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_PI

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#25 Post by Doc Ibold »

I rarely trust Wikipedia