any news?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

zeusapollo
Lieutenant

any news?

#1 Post by zeusapollo »

some news about the movie? I WANT TS or NOT MOVIE!!! Lets move to do something!!!

ciao :)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Steve »

The Independent Data Movie Base (IMBD) now has a Magnum, PI movie listed for 2009. I copied the info and will paste below, but it basically states that it is indeed Imagine Entertainment, Thurber has finished the script and Matthew McConaughey is "rumored" to star. See below and note the phone & fax number......

IN DEVELOPMENT

Release Date: 2009
Project Notes: Script is finished more »
Los Angeles, CA:
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
7th Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
USA
Phn: 310-858-2000
Fax: 310-858-2020
http://www.imagine-entertainment.com/

Production Co: Imagine Entertainment more »
Distributor: Universal Pictures more »

Genre: Action / Adventure / Comedy / Drama / Mystery /
Source Material: TV Show

Industry News:Eclectic mix practices Sundance steps (From The Hollywood Reporter. 15 January 2008)
MOVIEmeter™

Current rank: 12,391
Click graph for more detail

Add to MyMovies

Filmmakers: Rawson Marshall Thurber - Director / Writer (writer), Brian Grazer - Producer more »

Cast STARmeter™

Matthew McConaughey ... Thomas Sullivan Magnum, IV (rumored) 178

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Very disapponting to say the least!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Frodoleader »

No TS - no movie!

(my new mantra)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

Here is the latest from Reelzchannel.com.......It just keeps getting more and more depressing........
http://www.reelzchannel.com/

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Steve wrote:Here is the latest from Reelzchannel.com.......It just keeps getting more and more depressing........
http://www.reelzchannel.com/
I agree Steve. It looks like they should rename is Cheesy P.I.. I dread to see what the final verdict is going to be on this one!

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Lily »

Perhaps we just have to look at this in a different way. We will never see TS or any of our favourites cast in this proposed film. So better they get the making of the film over and done with, casting whomever they choose, then it can suffer at the box office.

There is still such a very strong TS, Magnum following, and apart from John Hillerman who someone has reported isnt in good health, surely something could have been worked out to bring the original cast back together to make this film?

TS still has what it takes and he will always be Magnum, and this is why I think this film without him will die in its ratings. So lets just suffer this proposed film (if and when it appears), and after it is long gone, we will still have the real Magnum episodes to watch.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Lily wrote:Perhaps we just have to look at this in a different way. We will never see TS or any of our favourites cast in this proposed film. So better they get the making of the film over and done with, casting whomever they choose, then it can suffer at the box office.

There is still such a very strong TS, Magnum following, and apart from John Hillerman who someone has reported isnt in good health, surely something could have been worked out to bring the original cast back together to make this film?

TS still has what it takes and he will always be Magnum, and this is why I think this film without him will die in its ratings. So lets just suffer this proposed film (if and when it appears), and after it is long gone, we will still have the real Magnum episodes to watch.
That and the fact that they will make it slpastick. It is going to be something like Starsky and Hutch was a few years ago. It will be dumb one liner, a terrible script, and not too funny takes on 80's pop culture.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MPS »

The movie news is just sad. Trying to cast someone who is nothing like Tom Selleck?? It's sooo wrong. Best to have the movie over and done with. :( It will tank at the box office, be unfavorably compared to the series and forgotton. Perhaps, then, a reunion movie deal can be put together.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

PhatCat
Admiral

#10 Post by PhatCat »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote: That and the fact that they will make it slpastick. It is going to be something like Starsky and Hutch was a few years ago. It will be dumb one liner, a terrible script, and not too funny takes on 80's pop culture.
Yup, I think it will be exactly like that. It will suck bigtime. Cripes, it's got Rawson Thurber from Dodgeball as the script writer and director! I'm amazed Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn or Ben Stiller aren't on the cast already. Don't get me wrong, Dodgeball had some laughs. Those guys and their friends make some funny movies. But it's just not right for a Magnum remake.

The problem is, when it sucks, I truly do believe it will make the chances of a real reunion of original cast movie next to impossible to make. No one will want to touch the Magnum PI theme.

This is gonna hurt...

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Seaver41 »

I love Tom Selleck as much as the next guy............but it is asking a lot for a movie studio to pony up big dough for anctors are well past their prime...........Roger E. Mosley is 70.........7-0..........that just won't sell. Selleck/Magnum was largely sold on his good looks.....with the acting being the bonus that gave the show life and kept it alive all those years.......but the best we can hope for to see the original cast is a tv movie. You won't find a movie studio gambling the bucks on a senior citizen cast based on characters that were successful 30 years ago. This has been a tough realization I have had to accept.

As for a remake...........it's doomed to fail. The show was Tom Selleck. Much like Miami Vice was Don Johnson and Phillip Michael
Thomas......that movie had no shot as well.

But it appears they insist on doing this.......so that being the case my vote for Magnum would be Gerard Butler.......the guy from the movie 300.....he has a playful side like Selleck brought to the character.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome to the site Tom Terrific! I think the TV movie would appease almost all on this board. Give us that and forget the big production film!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

any chance a bad movie prompts a 'makeup' tv movie? It's apparent Selleck still pulls weight in the tv world with the Jesse Stone series of tv movies.........I would imagine he could get a tv movie done. Correct me if wrong, but I believe it was Tom all those years who refused to do a reunion Magnum on the small screen. Has anyone gauged his opinion recently?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seaver41 wrote:any chance a bad movie prompts a 'makeup' tv movie? It's apparent Selleck still pulls weight in the tv world with the Jesse Stone series of tv movies.........I would imagine he could get a tv movie done. Correct me if wrong, but I believe it was Tom all those years who refused to do a reunion Magnum on the small screen. Has anyone gauged his opinion recently?
Yeah, that's true Seaver41. I believe he even turned down a couple of offers to do a TV movie. He kept holding out for a big screen adaptation, which sadly never happened. He almost had one greenlighted with Tom Clancy writing the script, but Universal had a "suits shakeup" and they changed their minds. It's been frustrating to say the least!

It's not too late for a small screen reunion, though. Roger and Larry still look great. I can only hope that I look as good as Roger does at 70. Unfortunately, John has been in ill-health for a while now (exactly how bad, I don't know). I don't see why we can't have both - the theatrical release AND the original cast TV movie. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by higgybaby1 »

I just noticed imdb.com has the Magnum Movie slated for 2011 now.....anyone have insight on that?
OH MY GAWD!