Movie Trailer (more like a "wish" movie trailer)

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

zeusapollo
Lieutenant

#11 Post by zeusapollo »

James J. Walters wrote:
zeusapollo wrote:i'm ready in any time.........but i think now its the right time!!
I meant "very cool" with regards to the trailer. ;)

I knew mine was just a stupid idea :)

How many MPI fans do you think are around the world?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

Steve.

WELL SAID about your "Unfinished Business." Any MPI movie without the originals that are available IS unfinished business.

Again, I wish we could get through to Brian Grazer, the spikey-headed wiener. But without the risk of a "stalking" arrest, I can't figure out a way -- from over here in Georgia! SelleckLover, you're closest -- YOU stalk him!! :lol: :shock:

Next to a movie with the originals, I'll settle for NO MOVIE at all. I'd rather watch the DVDs over and over than gag at a "Miami Vice"/"Starsky & Hutch" joke of a movie, which it would be with Matthew McConnaughy (how the heck DO you spell his bleeping name?). He's too freaking BLOND! Yes, he can act (see "U-571") but when he does an action character (gag at "Sahara"), I think it would be a disaster. I'm still hoping for Brendan Fraser.

JMO

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

golfmobile wrote:
SelleckLover, you're closest -- YOU stalk him!!

If everyone would like to chip in and buy me a car, I will! It's hard to stalk someone when you have to take the bus!! :(

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

LOL!!! You haven't been watching enough Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. In NYC, they stalk with no transportation. Of course, NYC is a "walking" city when LA and the surrounding area really isn't . . . .

Still . . . you crack me up!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

golfmobile wrote:
Still . . . you crack me up!
Hey, I looked up fares from my town to Ventura County, and I can ride Greyhound for $15.36 round trip! With gas almost $5 a gallon here, that's a real bargain! :D

Icepick
Admiral

#16 Post by Icepick »

You are right, Matthew McConacooky really is not the greatest actor but what bothers me about him is his arrogant swagger. I think we would see his portrayal of TM(ooo...I think I just threw up in my mouth) with this predictable personality. I never liked him as an actor, especially after the sub movie, but having him in a MPI project is rubbing salt in the wounds.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#17 Post by Doc Ibold »

Icepick wrote:You are right, Matthew McConacooky really is not the greatest actor but what bothers me about him is his arrogant swagger. I think we would see his portrayal of TM(ooo...I think I just threw up in my mouth) with this predictable personality. I never liked him as an actor, especially after the sub movie, but having him in a MPI project is rubbing salt in the wounds.
I'm reserving judgement on this one....

MM has a nice, casual charm which is what is necessary for the role. Is he perfect for the role? Probably not, but I don't think it'll be him who is the bad part of the movie.

He might surprise us. I'll wait until I see the movie. The movie might be terrible, but he might surprise you.

Could be worse, we could have some Nicholas Cage overacting.

Now, while I'm stoned by the forumites, let me defend my position.

Picture a legit candidate for the role (George Clooney). Can you REALLY see him being Magnum? I can't Magnum is quintessentially broke. scams off his friends and dresses really casually. Can you see Clooney pull that off? I can't. Its going to look like some Oceans Eleven smug, perfect character ripoff. If you want to get it right, you have Magnum wiping out while jumping over the lanai fence. You have him hurt after being hit. You make him fallable. I've never seen a Clooney movie where he was fallible. The secret to the Magnum character (in my opinion) is his shortcomings. MM has frequently played roles in which his shortcomings are evident, and he plays those of the character up. (See "How To Lose a Guy in 10 days" for a perfect example - girlfriend dragged me to it and I surprisingly ended up liking it, be cause the guy was REAL)

Now, MM, you can SEE as bumming off his friends, p!ssing off Higgins and having the c'est la vie lifestyle. Seriously, dye his hair, give a nice prosthetic stache and ditch the Texan accent, and you have a pretty decent Magnum.

Now:

1) I wholly admit to being skeptical about the whole thing in previous threads, but I've thought that it might not be totally terrible.
2) Yes, the original cast idea would be preferable, but we know it ain't gonna happen
3) While MM as Magnum is growing on me, the characters of Higgins and Rick worry me, esp the former. (Marky Mark could pull Rick off (but I doubt he'd take the role) and LL Cool J would make a great TC. Higgins, how do you pull off without JH? He's going to look like a prissy jerk throughout 3/4 of the movie because they aren't going to write the part correctly.

Stones away!

:lol:

Carmen
MPI

#18 Post by Carmen »

*loading my marshmallow gun - 3...2...1.... better run for cover Doc......*

but I have to admit you made some good points here
can`t believe I said that...
still there is just one and only Magnum...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#19 Post by golfmobile »

Well, Matthew McC. could certainly do the Thomas Magnum annoying personality quirks -- I agree I can see that.

Clooney looked pretty rough/ragged in O, Brother, Where Art Thou? So I think he could pull off the scrubby, less than debonair. He certainly has the charming smile . . . .

If they do the movie, I think they will need a real Brit to be Higgins. William H. Macy is just NOT RIGHT! I still like someone's previous suggestion of Michael Caine, or Alan Rickman could be a great snippy, somewhat condescending Higgins.

But, again, we get the good ideas: the spikey-headed wieners make the movie.

golf

P.S. Not that I'm ever likely to, but if I ever meet Brian Grazer, I hope I can refrain from saying, "Oh, yes, hello, nice to meet you, spikey-headed wiener." But that's just the sobriquet I associate with him now!!
"Portside, buddy."

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#20 Post by tidal pool »

Doc Ibold wrote:MM has a nice, casual charm. He might surprise us.
Hold on, TS! :mrgreen:

TS or NO MOVIE!

SelleckLover

#21 Post by SelleckLover »

I hate to say this, but I saw an interview with Ben Affleck this morning where he was in some foreign country, talking about a charitable cause, and he looked like he hadn't shaved in a while and he really looked like he could pull off the "Magnum look" quite easily. Now whether he has the acting chops or not I don't know...I'm not really a big Affleck fan, although I did enjoy him in that movie where he played a superhero (can't remember the name of that movie, dang it!). Anyway, what I'm trying to say is...that I think if they HAD to go with someone other than TS, I think Affleck could pull it off in the looks department! That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL :D

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MPS »

Ben Affleck is the right physical type to play Magnum. He is 6'4" and has that dark wavy hair. He isn't a bad actor, although he has been in some really bad films. First saw him in Good Will Hunting where he was pretty good. Enjoyed seeing him in Dogma, where he played a bad angel, which was interesting. He was most Magnum-like in The Sum of All Fears. Not in the laid back way we all see TSM, but as a take-charge kinda guy. He was more the Magnum we see in the Viet Nam flashback scenes.

As for Matthew M....... He probably wouldn't have to act to play the laid-back Magnum. For years, the only stories about him or pictures that were shown had MM on the beach in Malibu, without a shirt, hanging out with Lance Armstrong and working out. This is our beloved TSM in between cases. As long as no one asks MM to do any acting at all, he could work :roll: :roll:

Trying to look at the positives, if Tom Selleck and the guys have truly been written off for the movie. :(
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Steve »

Uuugh!!! Maybe it was the whole "Ben-iffer" thing a couple of years ago, but the guys acting has always been like nails on a chalkboard to me. Everytime I see him I have the scene from "Pearl Harbor" in my mind when he is shouting, "Danny get me to a damn Plane!".....Terrible!!!!! I say if not our beloved Tom Selleck, and since Colin Farrell already portrayed (IMHO) a great Sonny Crocket, my pick is still George Clooney. He seems to have that certain something that Tom had back in the eighties where he is loved by womwn and liked by men as well........

SelleckLover

#24 Post by SelleckLover »

Steve wrote:
Terrible!!!!! I say if not our beloved Tom Selleck, and since Colin Farrell already portrayed (IMHO) a great Sonny Crocket, my pick is still George Clooney.
Even though I don't really care for Clooney, I'd have to say I agree with you. He has the looks and the acting chops to pull it off. :D

SelleckLover

#25 Post by SelleckLover »

Here's a picture of my son with his grandmother. I'd say my son would make a pretty decent Thomas Magnum...OK, probably not, but a mother can dream can't she????? LOL