For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Letter to Brian Grazer

#1 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, guys, I have a first draft. I have posted it on the MGI site:

First draft of Grazer letter

Please feel free to let me know if I have used a quote from you that you would prefer that I not use; also please let me know if you do not want your name added to the several I will list at the end (which will probably be determined by the highest number and frequency of posts here -- I can't add all 250 members because I don't have permission from everyone). I think putting the user names of those of us who post most often may make an initial point. If you disagree, feel free to let me know.

So, again, PLEASE let me know if you have any suggestions, revisions, additions, etc. I will be more than happy to add any ideas you feel should be included/added. You can PM me here, reply to this post, or put a comment on the MGI site (if we get enough "yes, that's what I want too" comments there, I can send a link to that site and the letter to Mr. Grazer).

So let me know what you think of this first draft.

golf
Last edited by golfmobile on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

I read your letter golf, nicely done!! I do have one suggestion. Please remember that I am looking at the letter from the perspective of Mr. Grazer. I think it is a little lengthy. Although I agree with all the points you bring up, I think you could leave the part out about plots for the movie, and replace that with a lone sentence about if he's interested, we have plot suggestions. I think that it should be kind of like a resumé -- try to get it all on one compact page. I'm afraid if it is too long, Mr. Grazer may just delete it altogether. You can take my suggestion or not...it's JMHO! :D

Carmen
MPI

#3 Post by Carmen »

Well done, golfmobile!! It is a very long letter, but I don`t think there is anything you can cut out. (Maybe only what Sellecklover suggested about the plot)
Hope he will read and think about it!!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#4 Post by golfmobile »

Thanks, SL and Carmen,

I thought about that but wanted to get some other input. I'll do that. I'll try to word it along the lines of: "We understand there may be a script written already but one that is not based on the original cast members in the roles. If you would be interested in any plots that do take into account the original cast members and bring them forward to the present day with their 1980s history, please let us know."

You think that would work?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

Good job........I love the Robin Masters/JQH half-brother twist as it is a creative and briliant way to finally put that question to rest.........By the way, I have always felt that John Hillerman's wishes to retire in peace is probaly due to health problems he may be suffering..........

Steve
Chicago

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by tidal pool »

golf,

Very nice letter. It's informative and sincere. Not sure if it's neccessary to remove the plot ideas. More than likely, we will only have one shot at this and Grazer will not get back to us. Why not remove the plot ideas from the body of the letter and make them an attachment? Or if sent by mail, put them a second piece of paper. Let Grazer decide if he wants to read on. You never know what will persuade someone to change their mind.

Also, how about supplying a link to the online 2300 petition?

Good job,

tp
Last edited by tidal pool on Wed May 28, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS or NO MOVIE!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Very nicely done golf! Thanks for taking the time to write this out.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Great job golf! I hope letters, petitons, and the like can convince these guys to do a Magnum movie the way it needs to be done. I also love your plot ideas.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

First of all, thank you all for your patience in reading the long letter.

Secondly, I can't take the majority of the credit for the words written, even the plots. Most of that wording consisted of excerpts cut and pasted from posts here, so the wording is everyone's, not just mine. If all that combined makes a persuasive argument, we can all pat ourselves on the back for the contribution.

I will add a link to the online petition in the email, just so he can possibly click on it to get more information along the same lines, even if he doesn't read every "signature" there.

I will separate the plot synposes from the body of the main request.

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions -- keep 'em coming if anyone has anything else to suggest. I'll try to finalize and send out in the next day or two so enough people have enough time to catch this thread and add to the final "product."

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

"We understand there may be a script written already but one that is not based on the original cast members in the roles. If you would be interested in any plots that do take into account the original cast members and bring them forward to the present day with their 1980s history, please let us know."

You think that would work?

Yes, I do! :D

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

You go, golf :!: :!:
:wink: TS/TM :wink: just one and the same ...

Maybe you can write it in the script just like this: TS/TM
No, I won`t explain to all who now read my post looking like :?: :x
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Olivier »

Your letter is perfect ! :D I really don' t see what we can add.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

Golf, that was FANTASTIC!

Don't think any of us could have done it any better. Your pointing out of the "Magnum Reunion" on Las Vegas is tangible proof of the support of the old cast!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MPS »

Your letter is fabulous! I can't imagine any additions or changes :)
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

Hi, guys!

I cleaned it up by putting the plot suggestions on a separate page/attachment, and I sent the email this morning, with the hard copy for regular mail to go to the PO later this morning.

I don't know that we will EVER hear anything in response -- not like Larry Manetti's brief responses when we email him, huh? But at least we know Larry reads what we may have written to him.

Of course, if I ever do hear or see anything (other than the MAILER-DAEMON sending it back because his spam filter deleted it), you KNOW I will let you know first!!!

golf

P.S. I posted too soon! The MAILER DAEMON just sent the email back, so we're back to the hard copy being the only hope. It didn't say why, as in invalid email address or mailbox full -- just a "permanent error." (If anyone needs to see the return path to determine the problem, let me know.)

So, sorry, folks! If anyone ever finds a better email address, let me know, and I can always try again.
"Portside, buddy."