Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#21 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with you James! :D

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#22 Post by Olivier »

Sparkle & Fizz wrote:Count me in for the letter writing campaign!
Me too ! They will see we write from all over the world :P .

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

I'm probably not going to get time to read through all the posts and find quotes to include until this weekend, but I'll try to include as many folks as I can.

For those members with whom it would be okay if I use some of your posts, please be sure your location is listed in your profile, so I can say, for example, "This is a quote from Olivier in France," etc.

I'm going to pitch for a "theater" movie initially, mainly because I think the producers probably won't make both a theatrical release AND a made-for-TV movie. Wouldn't they be competing with themselves if they do that? But I will try to point out how the "mini-Magnum, P.I." "reunion" on "Las Vegas" was so very highly rated, which shows an obvious interest in seeing the original cast back together again.

And I agree it will be time-consuming for them to get a working script, much less, ANOTHER working script, if the Grazer/Thurber contingency already has one they're ready to go with.

But if we don't try, we'll never know if a "write-in" campaign will do any good.

So I'll try to have a "working script" for us by this weekend. What I might do is post it on the Magnum GI site and then post a link HERE to it there so everyone can read it. Also, perhaps, that might expose the idea to a few others, though frankly I doubt that MGI has that many "fans" finding that blog that aren't already here. Did I say that right?

Stay tuned! You will all be advised when I have something to be reviewed by everyone.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Steve »

Brian Grazer.....Hmmmph.....I have never trusted any man that seems to spend more time on making his hair look like a mess than just combing it neatly and getting on with his life!!!

Anyway, count me in on any letter writing campaign....

Steve
Chicago

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by tidal pool »

golf,

If possible, I highly recommend that you wear a Team Ring while you compose the letter. Obviously, no one will see it, but you will look good while you're writing. :wink: :lol:
TS or NO MOVIE!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

tidal,

I promise I'll wear my parrot shirt and ersatz Rolex dive watch (I don't have a team ring). I'll have Magnum GI leaning over my shoulder critiquing my work, I'll have MPI episodes playing on the DVR (nope, better not do that, it'll distract me too much . . . .)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#27 Post by J.J. Walters »

Appreciate it golf!
golfmobile wrote:I'm going to pitch for a "theater" movie initially, mainly because I think the producers probably won't make both a theatrical release AND a made-for-TV movie. Wouldn't they be competing with themselves if they do that?
Or each could feed off the publicity of the other. Still, I don't think this has ever been done before - TV show, theatrical movie, made-for-tv movie.

I just think the theatrical movie is way past the point of no return as far as the original cast is concerned - the script is completed and pre-casting is underway. The only hope lies in prime time TV.

But you're right, either way, it can't hurt to voice our opinions.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#28 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Hey, thanks golf. I appreciate it.

Regarding the rights, Grazer and Imagine Entertainment have the rights to produce the bigscreen adaptation, but Universal still owns the distribution rights.

In light of the fact that the Grazer/Thurber production has already completed a script that needs a younger cast (the story begins before Magnum is a P.I.), and in fact they've already offered the lead role to McConaughey, I seriously doubt they would consider re-writing the script for the original cast. They seem hell bent on NOT using the original cast.

I think the focus from our end should be to support a TV MOVIE with the original cast. Selleck himself has proved with the successful Jesse Stone movies that this format is still viable. Selleck has had a long, amicable relationship with CBS. Surely it would be a ratings success. I don't see why this still couldn't work. But they need to do it soon!
James,

TOTALLY agree with this one.

Big Screen = Younger actors
Small Screen = MUCH better chance to have the original cast.

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#29 Post by tidal pool »

James J. Walters wrote:Grazer/Thurber production has already completed a script that needs a younger cast
That does it. We're going to have to break into Grazer's office and destroy the script. golf, you go first. :wink:
TS or NO MOVIE!

Carmen
MPI

#30 Post by Carmen »

Now where is my black cashmere sweater?? 8)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#31 Post by IslandHopper »

Carmen wrote:Now where is my black cashmere sweater?? 8)
It still out for repairs. Magnum still hasn't paid for it yet.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Carmen
MPI

#32 Post by Carmen »

:cry: it came sooo serious when he said he`d pay for it...

Anyway, scripts can be altered - maybe we`d write a good one and send it to them. Any ideas??
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#33 Post by arri »

Here's the thing. If they use the original cast, it will be less action based and more story oriented. "Raiders of Lost Ark" was a debacle. Harrison looked too tired. Magnum is not going to score hot girls in Bikini's. An interesting take would have the setting, now, and develop the more Character study on the series. I'd go see that but my kids wouldn't.

Now, if you did an 80's movie with mulletts, high hair, eye shadow, and short shorts. Using modern actors, it would appeal to a broader demographic. My kids would watch Matthew McConaghy and Jennifer Aniston heat it up 80's style

Unfortunately, movies is big business and the later genre will prevail

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#34 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Well, I bet every Magnum fan on the forum will wanna petition for this!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Coops »

The solution is simple, Jesse Stone style.

Made for tv movie using original cast members. Cheaper to produce and more true to the original series. If Universal can't see that, and it looks like they don't, they should just let the series rest in piece.

I'd prefer a older, more mature Magnum in a made for tv movie that focuses on getting older and what life brings to each and every one of us as we do age. Magnum went back into the navy...then what? What a truly interesting thing to think about.

He, Magnum, should have been on old SEAL team member of A.J. Chegwidden. THAT would have been an awesome episode of JAG.