Reply from Larry Manetti

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

Reply from Larry Manetti

#1 Post by tidal pool »

The other day, I felt like voicing my opinion about this whole movie thing to someone who might listen. Here is my email and LM's reply. Can't believe he took the time to write...

Mr. Manetti,

Being a 28-year fan of Magnum P.I., it was quite disappointing to hear that Matthew McConaughey might be cast as Magnum in an upcoming movie. You and the rest of the original cast are at the perfect age right now to make this movie. Fans would even prefer an original cast TV movie over a new cast motion picture. Certainly, between your clout and Tom Selleck's clout an original cast film could get a green light.

Please give the fans and the show's legacy what they deserve. Please talk to Mr. Selleck, Mr. Hilllerman, and Mr. Mosley and push to get this thing done. We all want to know what the "gang" is up to after 20 years.

Sincerely,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the great e-mail.

We have no control over the movie. Brian Grazer at Universal Studios is
the one to have fans e-mail. As far as I know, not much has happened yet and Mattew has not confirmed it yet.

There is still a chance for all of us in the original show!!

Thanks for your support.

Your pal,

Larry

James, perhaps we (Magnum Mania) need to petition Brian Grazer collectively. Just a thought...
TS or NO MOVIE!

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#2 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Thanks for sharing this email. If the new Indiana Jones movie does well (with its allowance for Harrison Ford to be older in the title role), it could make the studio more inclined to let the original cast do the MPI movie as well. Some early reviews of Indiana Jones praise the movie for harkening back to an 80's style of special effects.

S&F

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

tidal,

That's great that you wrote him and he answered. Sad to hear he and TS can exercise enough clout to get through to Grazer.

James, is there any way you could find a way for us to get in touch with this Grazer guy -- email (which might be ignored too easily "delete," "delete") or even a mailing address so we could do some major mail-in requests? I for one would be happy to print off a letter if I knew where to send it.

I hadn't thought of the Indiana Jones movie as an encouragement to do MPI with the original guys, but now that such has been pointed out, I think it's a very good point -- and maybe one worth making to Grazer!! Granted, our 250 members here are hardly an overwhelming "audience base," but I think the fact that something like this exists at all, not to mention all the other forums from TV sites, etc., where people are always discussing MPI (though, of course, this is the best place), should show Universal that the ORIGINAL is what counts. For example, I don't know of a lot of Miami Vice or Starsky&Hutch forums! (though they may be there . . . .)

Though I would love to see ALL of the original cast, I could live without Higgins ONLY BECAUSE HE WOULDN'T WANT TO DO IT. Maybe he's just not strong enough. But there should certainly be flashbacks to him, which would feed our Jones for the character, if that's all we could get. That's why I still think the best plotline is to have Magnum solve Higgins' murder (which makes an excuse for him not to be there "in person" but only in flashbacks).

Let's figure out a way to write to Brian Grazer and then we'll know we've certainly given it our best shot.

You think?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by tidal pool »

golfmobile wrote:Let's figure out a way to write to Brian Grazer and then we'll know we've certainly given it our best shot.
Count me in, golf! :wink:

When LM said, "There is still a chance for all of us in the original show!!", I wonder if he knows more than he can share? :?
TS or NO MOVIE!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Another class act from the show, Larry Manetti. ;)

golf, sorry I have no clue.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I couldn't find an email address but I did find this:

Brian Grazer
Imagine Entertainment
9465 Wilshire Blvd., Seventh Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Count me in for the letter writing campaign!

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by tidal pool »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I couldn't find an email address but I did find this:

Brian Grazer
Imagine Entertainment
9465 Wilshire Blvd., Seventh Floor
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Good PI work, IKWYT!

James, since we don't have Brian Grazer's email, how about starting a new petition thread and "stick" it at the top of the forum? We will all sign it and then you can send a letter to him with a hard copy of the thread.
TS or NO MOVIE!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

If James doesn't want to do the mailing, I'll be happy to do so. If he can just set it up so I can print it, I'll be happy to pay the postage to mail whatever we think will help!

Good work, fellow magnum-maniacs, in finding where to send a petition and determining how to set it up so we can "sign it," print it, and send it, all with our virtual signatures!

I can't see how it could do any HARM, do you? And it might be our only chance to "be heard" by the "powers that be." If we just continue to post here, who's to know what we're thinking if we don't TELL them/him?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

There is actually already an online petition, with over 2300 sigs so far:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... magnumpi&1

But I can certainly set up a thread here if you want.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

James, do please set up something here. The petition that you linked to is probably not even known to the people at Universal, much less Grazer. There's so much on the internet, I'm sure they don't even bother to look for opinions (they probably think they know everything they need to know). If we have something in writing that we can place in their hot little hands, it might at least get them to read it. Just leaving it here, I have a feeling, won't do anything except entertain us.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Thanks for the link James. I signed that, and will be happy to sign one from Magnum Mania as well if we send one.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey golf, if you have the time, can you go ahead and create the thread and, uh, handle the mailing? I'll "sticky" the thread. If not, maybe somebody else can take the "action item". ;)

I'm completely and utterly swamped on multiple fronts right now.

Thanks

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by tidal pool »

James or golf,

When composing the letter, I see nothing wrong with also referencing the petition link that James posted. At least it will bring it to Grazer's attention.
TS or NO MOVIE!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

Huh-oh! Just had a dreadful thought!

What if, in writing to Grazer and pointing out that we are all writing because of our membership in the forums on this site, and Universal then comes to www.magnum-mania.com and tells James he has to shut it down because of all the copyright infringements of photos, sound bytes, logos, etc., etc.?? Or James has to pay royalties to keep everything up and running? Is everything here enough of "public domain" to pass this litmus test?

I don't want to be a tattle-tail (or is that "tattle-tale"?) and do anything to jeopardize the site!

I think if Universal could see this site and see how much interest there really is in the original show, that would be a good thing! But I don't want to risk getting this site kicked off the internet like that other MPI site (what was it? Dutch? German?) that DID get booted because of copyright violations.

What are the thoughts on this? I don't really see how we can prepare something to send if we don't identify who we are in relation to how we met at the site -- because without the combined interest, continuing enthusiasm, knowledge, and observations we share here, just one of us crying in the wilderness won't have much influence, I would think. It's the combined power of all of us together -- and we are together only here.

See what I mean? I need some input on this before I start anything definite.

In the meantime, what I was thinking of was -- going to several of the different threads about the movie -- what we want in it and want it to be -- and block and copy numerous posts and put them into one document to send as one package. I was also thinking of adding a few pages showing this site, printed off, e.g., the main page, the episodes page, to include with the package to show we are dedicated and detail-oriented Magnumites. But, again, that could put the site at risk.

So what's the general reaction here, gang? Will we be putting the site at risk if we use it as our starting point?

golf
"Portside, buddy."