Tom Clancy connection?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Gritty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tom Clancy connection?

#1 Post by Gritty »

Hope it's okay bringing this up here even though it's not about McConaughey PI...

It was heard years ago that Tom Clancy was interested in writing the Magnum screenplay for a movie adaptation. He was a fan of the show and wanted to do something with Magnum in Naval Intelligence and involving North Korea at that time.

Has anybody heard any news if at all about it or anything else since. Don't think it was a fake item cause I do recall Tom Selleck had mentioned something about it because he was more than interested in doing a motion picture with Tom Clancy's own brand of writing and prominence.

Gritty

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Gritty ... Welcome!

The way I understand it, Selleck got a verbal agreement from his pal Tom Clancy to write the screenplay. He went to Universal, but even with Clancy in his corner they still wouldn't greenlight a major motion picture release. Universal would only ok a made-for-tv film (or more correctly, a series of films), which Selleck declined (again).

That's it. Major bummer, huh. :(
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Koolau Kine
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by Koolau Kine »

That is a major bummer!

I remember an article in the Star Bulletin where Selleck talked about Tom Calncy and Universal saying they'ed have to review the script.

Tom Selleck was saying something like. "This is Tom Clancy. He doesn't nee d to try out/be reviewed"

I would have loved some made for T.V. movies.

I think I would have preferred that as opposed to the big screen.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hello there Koolau Kine! Welcome.

I would have preferred a made-for-tv movie as well. It's hard to blame Selleck, though. He simply wanted to elevate the status of the show. He thought it deserved a spotlight on the big screen.

It just makes the whole thing (the fact that no movie, of any kind, was ever made) that much harder to swallow. They had everything lined up in the mid 90s. Timing. The cast. A killer, big name, script writer. Studio backing. And then ....... nothing. :(
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!