POLL: Magnum, P.I. Motion Picture

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Will you go and see a Magnum, P.I. motion picture if it does not include the original cast in their original roles?

NO, never.
41%
MAYBE. It depends on who is cast as Magnum, Higgins, Rick and TC.
20%
MAYBE, if Tom Selleck and/or other original cast members appear in cameos.
16%
YES. I will go and see the Magnum, P.I. movie regardless of who is cast as Magnum, Higgins, Rick and TC.
23%

Total votes: 44

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

Here's an idea. I got it from watching the promos on the new Knight Rider (which I have no interest in, but they were advertising it as not a "new" Knight Rider but an updated one, like 20 years later).

What if they could do that for MPI and have him have a 24- or 25-year-old son he never knew about? (Wasn't it implied that he was intimate with other women early on in the series so technically he COULD have fathered another child?) For example, have him finally retiring from the Navy and his unknown son shows up for the party at, for example, the KKC. And the son is in the Navy, just graduated from Annapolis and got posted to Pearl Harbor? TC's kids are there, and Thomas V gets involved in some mystery with them as his sidekicks. So it could STILL have TS as TSMIV and have the regulars but not as the sole leads. Appeal to both generations?

Now who can we cast as his son? Does anyone look like a young TS the way Brad Pitt used to look like a young Robert Redford? I know! Josh Groban!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (He CAN act too -- I saw him on a couple of Ally McBeals, and he was good enough.)

Someone else come up with some plotlines with this scenario. I think this has potential . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by sophia »

I vote for Josh Duhamel being TM's son.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

sophia!!

Wouldn't that just be a HOOT! Can we add James Lesure as TC's son and Camille Guaty (and her dimples) (Piper) to be a grown Lily????

Wouldn't that just be SOMETHING????

Now with THAT cast, I just might like the movie.

golf

P.S. Now we just need to get Hugh Laurie to play Doc Ibold's son, Monk to be a consultant to Hawaii 5-0, along with Chief of Detectives Brenda (Kyra Sedgwick's The Closer) and Denny Crane and Alan Shore to be Robin Masters' lawyers!!
"Portside, buddy."

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by sophia »

golfmobile
I like your ideas.
I would go see that movie.
Piper would surely have to be Lily.
:) :)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

Excellent suggestion Sophia! (Josh Duhamel as Magnum's son) He's got the height, looks, and charisma factor! We would just need him to grow a big old mustache! :D

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by sophia »

I saw Josh on tv a few days ago, he looked like he had'nt shaved in a while.
Maybe he's trying to be more like TS.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#17 Post by Tralfaz »

Why not a girl? I had an idea a while back that Lily returns from Iraq disenchanted and follows her Dad's Path.

A Mix of Magnum and Veronica Mars.

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#18 Post by golfmobile »

Tralfaz,

I think that is actually a very good idea! That way, you'd dodge the "who can play Magnum besides Selleck" issue, he could play a supporting or even minor role as her dad, but the story could revolve around a distaff (female) Magnum -- with other Iraq War vets as her sidekicks -- you could even have a female helicopter pilot.

I'm not saying the cast should ALL be female characters (though I wouldn't object to that if it were done right), but you could have a couple, with the plotline being picking up at this time frame instead of trying to re-create the 1980s -- a la the disastrous Starsky & Hutch, for example. That would "salute" the original but still allow for a new scenario (and younger actors to appeal to the Gen-Xers et al.). I wouldn't object to a movie along that line, though I still think TS and all the other guys should have AT LEAST cameos. I think if it were done properly, they wouldn't object to "passing the torch" to worth successors. SelleckLover, you maybe agree? Again, it all depends on a good script and good casting.

Why don't the "powers that be" read our forum! We always have the best ideas on how to do it "right," to please diehard MPI fans, don't you all think? So Tralfaz gets the credit for coming up with the female Magnum idea! The more I think about it, the more I like it.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#19 Post by SelleckLover »

Sounds good to me golf! You're right about the ideas we have...they ARE better than any of the lame stuff that Hollywood has come up with so far!

spencenator
Ensign

#20 Post by spencenator »

I can't imagine supporting a movie if it is not sanctioned by Selleck himself. If he is ok with it then i will be.

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#21 Post by Vanity »

I simply do not see any reason why there should be a movie called Magnum PI, if it is out of place, out of time and out of core essentatials.
MPI is a state of mind, the original cast undoubtfully contributed to it. The set, the Ferrari (not any Ferrari), Robin's nest, the chopper (not any other one).... remove any of these elements, remove the original guys behind the scene who created the stories, and all you'll end up with, in my opinion, just an average movie. But MPI was not just a TV serie, and that's what makes it so special. So just a movie is just not good enough either. I'll skip.
I know what you're thinking...

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by sophia »

Vanity,
I totally agree!!!!!!! :x

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Vanity »

Thanks Sophia.
Guess I'll just hold on to my MPI DVD's and I'll rather watch Jesse Stone rather than a none Selleck Magnum
I know what you're thinking...

spencenator
Ensign

#24 Post by spencenator »

Exactly, look what happened when the Miami Vice movie was made with different actors. Bad movie

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Coops »

Vanity wrote:I simply do not see any reason why there should be a movie called Magnum PI, if it is out of place, out of time and out of core essentatials.
MPI is a state of mind, the original cast undoubtfully contributed to it. The set, the Ferrari (not any Ferrari), Robin's nest, the chopper (not any other one).... remove any of these elements, remove the original guys behind the scene who created the stories, and all you'll end up with, in my opinion, just an average movie. But MPI was not just a TV serie, and that's what makes it so special. So just a movie is just not good enough either. I'll skip.
I couldn't have said it better myself. MPI is more than just a tv show, much, much more.