Your movie 'wish list'

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by sophia »

I agree, we saw it differently, that's what so great about the series.
We all get something different from it.
I just didn't think she was right for him, though, he was totally in love with her.
I called her a spy because I wouldn't know what else to call what she did.
I always got the impression that she was working for the US at least, if not for France. Always wondered what she was doing in Vietnam anyway.
Maybe someone can enlighten me on the subject.
:wink:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

sophia,

There are a LOT of MPI fans who also aren't that fond of Michelle. So you are certainly not the only one. To me, also, that was the one glaring thing I didn't like about the show -- his devotion to her when she did not seem, to my way of thinking, to have earned it.

But, as you say, each viewer takes what he/she wants and enjoys from the show.

I'd be slightly interested in a "for Michelle"/"not for Michelle" (not "against Michelle," just not "for" her) poll. I think we currently have two "not for's" (sophia and I) and at least one "for" (Apollo).

Anyone else want to throw in a vote?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by sophia »

golfmobile wrote:sophia,

There are a LOT of MPI fans who also aren't that fond of Michelle. So you are certainly not the only one. To me, also, that was the one glaring thing I didn't like about the show -- his devotion to her when she did not seem, to my way of thinking, to have earned it.

But, as you say, each viewer takes what he/she wants and enjoys from the show.

I'd be slightly interested in a "for Michelle"/"not for Michelle" (not "against Michelle," just not "for" her) poll. I think we currently have two "not for's" (sophia and I) and at least one "for" (Apollo).

Anyone else want to throw in a vote?

golf
I'm glad we agree. She was not good enough for him, and he was just too nice of a guy to be treated the way she treated him.
I kind of wished he and Carol would have worked out something.
Thought they got along well and would have been a great couple.
Thought it was going to happen, but the writers had to keep it interesting and have Tom always looking for the right girl. In my opinion she was always there, in Carol.

eeyore
Admiral

#24 Post by eeyore »

Another vote against Michelle. I was pretty puzzled about her character but I doubt the writers really got into it. Some the characters don't seem that well thought out and there are contradictions.

eeyore
Admiral

#25 Post by eeyore »

PS I posted my idea for the movie plot on the Tom Selleck Thread! :)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#26 Post by IslandHopper »

sophia wrote:She worked for the U.S., getting information from her husband that our government wanted. She was french, was she working for France, too?
Sophia,

You are correct about Michelle spying on behalf of the U.S. Her contact was Colonel "Buck" Greene. I may be mistaken, but I thought she was revealed to be the "Tiger." However, I don't think she spied for France. At least the show didn't imply that she was. My understanding is that Michelle was half French and half Vietnamese, which was very common considering that France had colonized Vietnam from the 1800s until 1954.

You guys were discussing the way Michelle treated Magnum. I think Magnum got off easy compared to Michelle's husband. Michelle was spying on Communist-Vietnam at her husband's expense. Colonel Ki was searching for a spy known as the "Tiger." Again, I believe Michelle was the "Tiger," and if I remember correctly, her husband did not even know she was the Tiger until much later. He gave his life to protect Michelle. Michelle's husband was executed because of Michelle's activities (her husband may have been pro-democracy too, I can't quite recall). It's always possible that her husband was the Tiger, but I think it's safe to say that Michelle's covert activities against Vietnam contributed to her husband's death.

I don't care for Michelle either, but I think the show was trying to portray her as a heroine to her country, and for democracy, which was greater than her relationship with Magnum, or her husband. She married Magnum, her true love, when she thought her husband was dead. However, she faked her own death as the U.S. was pulling out of Saigon when she presumably found out her husband was still alive. I imagine she did this so that she could continue to spy on the communists for the U.S.

My understanding of why she didn't want to go back to Magnum permanently was because it would endanger his life since she would have been a target because of her espionage activities. She was blown-up after all. So, in a sense, her refusal to be with Magnum was because she loved him. She knew he would probably be killed too. Her husband was used all the way, but I believe she really did want to be with Magnum, but because of the timing and her mission, it never worked out, except for Lily of course.
Last edited by IslandHopper on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by sophia »

Islandhopper,
You brought up some great points.
I guess Michelle might have stayed away to protect Thomas.
I just never liked her!!!!!!!!!!! :x

eeyore
Admiral

#28 Post by eeyore »

Hmm good explanation of Michelle's activities. For some reason I thought she and her husband were both spies. That's why it is good to have you all to toss these concepts around!!
If she loved Thomas so much I never understood why she went running off with the last guy. Was she so weak she needed yet another man to protect her or wanted Lily to have a father? If so why did she send her off to Magnum? Or was he in the exposion/car too?
I never quite understood. Before the explosion I thought she was telling the driver she had to pack some things for her husband? Anyone?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#29 Post by golfmobile »

I thought it was determined in the second part of Memories Are Forever that her HUSBAND was the Tiger and that she was sort of leading people down the garden path pretending she was the Tiger to keep them away from the real spy. As long as she kept looking suspicious, the bad guys wouldn't be looking at her husband.

But I could certainly be mis-remembering the facts. Or they may have changed later -- in MPI "facts" had a tendency to do that, to suit the particular episode -- we find that in so many of our Shocking Flubs.

I just never liked her because she seemed TOO soft and feminine -- just TOO frilly, frou-frou. And that seemed, TO ME, to be fakey, insincere, annoying.

And I don't mean to be TOO cynical, but if "they" were after her and they could find her more easily if she were with Magnum, thus putting him in danger, WELL, DUH! It also puts HER in more danger too so she was saving herself as much as she was saving him. And at the same time, she was risking Lily. That's selfish, not unselfish. Now, of course, you could argue that if she left Lily with Thomas and the bad guys then got to Lily in order to get to her, then that makes her more vulnerable. But again it's all the danger to HER, not to Thomas, that her actions seem to be directed to prevent. Of course, I can't blame her for saving herself, or trying to. But if those were the conditions, if she TRULY loved Thomas, she would have told him she didn't and to move on. To me, she seemed rather "dog in the manger" -- I can't have him but I want him to stay in love with me and always want me and always hope I'll come back. Cruel, manipulative, and selfish.

Just my opinion, folks!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by sophia »

Exactly
Could not have said it better
point on
:) :)

eeyore
Admiral

#31 Post by eeyore »

Agreed here as well! :) I felt kind of guilty I guess all these years for not being on her side, NO more! Now that I know I wasn't he only one who felt that way and it wasn't just me!
That said, did anyone see Marta DuBois in Mc Bride? I was all prepared to not enjoy it, but she was good! Funny and likeable!!

eeyore
Admiral

#32 Post by eeyore »

Ps one reason why I did not like Linda Lee Ellison was because she reminded me too much of Michelle both physically and emotionally. I felt like TM was trying to resurrect Michelle through her. JMHO.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#33 Post by golfmobile »

eeyore,

Haven't watched McBride yet, but I saw it was on, so I DVR'ed it. Will watch it probably tomorrow night. Am curious to see "Michelle" in a favorable light!

So, glad to have you in the Michelle Anti-Fan Club.

golf

P.S. And I agree about Linda Lee Ellison! And I thought it was only me!
"Portside, buddy."

eeyore
Admiral

#34 Post by eeyore »

Mc Bride is on this week? I'll have to DVR it myself! Thanks for the tip!
Whew glad I am not the only anti Linda Lee as well. She really put him in danger when she let him walk into the bust at the Temple.

Lt. Cook
Commander

#35 Post by Lt. Cook »

My wish list
1.The estate
2. Two words: Macho Taco
3. VM02 hat
4. Someone saying to Magnum "The owner of that car you're driving must be..."
5. TS on a surfski