Who should play Magnum in the movie?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Waltstasz
Admiral

#31 Post by Waltstasz »

It's funny, just after I posted about not seeing Eckhart before, I turned on the Food Network and there he was as a guest on Emril. I watched a bit and I think that he could play Magnum. He definately has the laid back, happy-go-lucky air, was self-deprecating and does have a big grin which he seems to wear a lot. On the negative side, he is blonde, but Daniel Craig was good as Bond, so why not a blonde Magnum?
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

HiHo
Commander

#32 Post by HiHo »

I also saw a blurb about him in a magazine over the weekend that said he lived in Hawaii for four years and is an avid surfer. I never knew that...pretty cool. He's best known for playing Julia Robert's biker boyfriend in Erin Brokovich, but he'll be everywhere next year with a big role in the next Batman flick.
"I know what you're thinking..."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#33 Post by IslandHopper »

HiHo wrote:He's best known for playing Julia Robert's biker boyfriend in Erin Brokovich, but he'll be everywhere next year with a big role in the next Batman flick.
Wow, I never realized that Aaron Eckhart played the biker boyfrined in Erin Brokovich. Duh. :oops: Thanks for the info HiHo.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Nallop
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#34 Post by Nallop »

I am a diehard Magnum fan and as much as I wanted the movie to take place years ago, I have decided now that I don't want it. After seeing what Hollywood has done to other tv shows that have been turned into features, they just can't do Magnum P.I. justice. Without Tom Selleck and the rest of the gang, there is no Magnum P.I. Tom Selleck IS Magnum, thats why his movie career has been less than stellar.

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#35 Post by arri »

I just hope it's not done like Lee's version of "Hulk"....it was just a movie about a green monster...no depth or likened to the actual series. I think they need a 30 something character, perhaps Matthew M, but I'd rather see someone who is tougher. A Will Smith type, Russel Crowe too old but in that genre.

DanielFrazão
Lieutenant

#36 Post by DanielFrazão »

I think only Tom Selleck can play Magnum, periode.
Well, I don't think Russel Crowe would be a good Magnum, because Russel is too serious. On Russel, you don't feel that lightness, that likeness, that "humour touch" that Magnum has. Matthew has a little bit of that, yes, but I still stick with Selleck. And I heard about Ashton Kutcher playing Magnum in the movie. Do you guys know something about it? I personally can't imagine Ashton with a mustache...

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MACattack »

I want Selleck as Magnum again. But if we have to deal with a change in actor, the whole thing will be a parody. Ben Stiller would be hilarious as Thomas Sullivan Magnum. I know he's really short, but he really hams it up on the big screen. He had a Magnumesque moustache in "DODGEBALL".
Then, he played an actor portraying a Vietnam soldier in "TROPIC THUNDER".
I just don't give a damn!

BobBlusoe
Commander
Location: Currently staying in the guest house at the Robin Masters Estate

#38 Post by BobBlusoe »

I could see vincent d'norfrio or bradley cooper with died hair playing Magnum.

NOT MATHEW MACONOHEY! (I'm sure I spelled that wrong.)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MACattack wrote:Ben Stiller would be hilarious as Thomas Sullivan Magnum. I know he's really short, but he really hams it up on the big screen. He had a Magnumesque moustache in "DODGEBALL".
BobBlusoe wrote:I could see vincent d'norfrio or bradley cooper with died hair playing Magnum.
That is, of course, if they decide to model Magnum after Tom Selleck. Of course, Selleck IS Magnum, but would a contemporary leading man rock the 'stashe if he wasn't Tom Selleck. Certainly yes, if it were a spoof. But if the studio goes with a serious remake, I doubt a 21st century beefcake would go for it.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#40 Post by golfmobile »

Well, here's Kutcher with a moustache (sort of). Potential?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Seaver41 »

Selleck is in the Kutcher movie where he is a spy marrying/married to Kathrine Heigel.....can't remember the title...........is this a valid possibility or just the result of someone trying to put 2 and 2 together? Maybe the connection on this movie would net getting a Selleck appearance in the new Magnum? Just throwing out conspiracy theories :wink:

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MACattack »

Ashton Kutcher will never play Magnum well!
It would be worse than a parody.
Its like cooking putting a fried egg in a boot, and calling it an omelet!
I just don't give a damn!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#43 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Well, here's Kutcher with a moustache (sort of). Potential?

golf
:)

Ashton Kutcher Has Serious Tom Selleck 'Stache Envy
"I have been trying to grow that mustache since I could grow facial hair," a glum Kutcher said of his 'Killers' co-star. "I believe that Tom produces more testosterone in his little finger than I produce in my entire body."
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#44 Post by ConchRepublican »

Ashton Kutcher Has Serious Tom Selleck 'Stache Envy
"I have been trying to grow that mustache since I could grow facial hair," a glum Kutcher said of his 'Killers' co-star. "I believe that Tom produces more testosterone in his little finger than I produce in my entire body."
Well, at least he understands it . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

wdm
Vice Admiral

#45 Post by wdm »

Here is a poll being taken about a Magnum movie. It ask if you would see it, or if you would see it only with Tom Selleck, or not at all. http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/2010/06/a ... -idea.html