Who should play Magnum in the movie?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#16 Post by golfmobile »

Again, from the newbie here (but I have read a lot of what everyone else has written, and I LOVE this site and the forums!), I have to agree totally with the Brendan Fraser suggestion. Just re-watch "Blast from the Past" to see his comedic talents, the Mummy series highlights his "action" capabilities (and humor too -- "I HATE mummies!"), and he has the looks. Also adding a moustache on his face would be a totally different look for him so it would tend to make him less recognizable as Brendan and perhaps more acceptable to us diehard Selleck fans as a substitute for Selleck.

For a Rick character, I would really like a guy who can actually ACT. Larry Manetti may be a great guy, but IMO, he canNOT act and never could. He always sounded to me as though he were reading lines off a cue-card AND over-acting (remember the jerk reaction in the shovel scene in the opening credits? That ALWAYS looks over-acting to me -- again, JMO!). Perhaps Rick could be made more appeal-able by a better actor. I think Matthew Perry could do this. He can pull off comedy ("Friends," of course) and "The Whole Nine/Ten Yards" series, plus straight drama in "The Ron Clark Story."

For TC, how about the black doctor from "Scrubs"? (I'm sorry I don't remember his name right now). He can be strong, capable, but could probably pull off the frustration, with humor, with Magnum's shenanigans. Though I wouldn't object to Eddie Murphy, but would he be gracious enough to play second fiddle?

The sticking point for casting, other than TSM, of course, is the critical Higgins character. Though he wouldn't fit the "body type" of the original JQH, I think Alan Rickman (who has a history with TS in "QDU") could pull off the British persnickety-ness and condescension to TSM, yet be there to pull through when needed.

And, of course, let's get the now-senior citizen Julie Andrews to do a parody of Agatha. That could be the only parody-type role, and I think JA would chew the scenery doing that. And it would make her attraction to Higgins a little more believable (and hopeful) for her to play opposite Alan Rickman. So they could finally get together at the end, and we could enjoy it, because we really didn't want Hillerman to have to settle for Chumley (though she was good in the role, we [at least I] just wanted better for JQH), but Rickman and Andrews would make a good "together at the end" resolution for that character.

This would be casting younger (than the current cast) in a new movie in present-day time.

However, if we go to using the older characters in a new movie (a la "where are they now?"), I liked the idea that Walt suggested (if we use the original, older cast) about Magnum's daughter being Naval Intelligence and TSM has to gather the "old gang" and go perform a rescue. Could Lucy Lui be the grown daughter, as wasn't Michelle's daugher Amerasian (though if that were the case, we'd really need someone who looks more like Nancy Kwan, but I don't know of a current actress who looks Caucasian with only a slight Oriental influence the way Nancy Kwan did)? But was she supposed to be TSM's daughter, not the General's? The child who played the part did not look like a cross of Thomas and Michelle to me.

I think it wouldn't HAVE to be an "action" story, if written correctly, like maybe a serial killer/kidnapper took the daughter and it takes cunning and substitute suspense for action by the entire crew -- a la Morgan Freeman as Dr. Alex Cross -- to find and rescue the daughter, while she's doing her own efforts (a la Ashley Judd in "Kiss the Girls" and the female FBI agent in "Along Came a Spider") to thwart the kidnapper/killer.

Just throwing out ideas here. As though anyone actually making the movie would actually pay any attention to any suggestions from the general lay public . . . .

golf

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi golf, welcome to MM!

I like some of your suggestions for the movie. A Fraser-Perry-Rickman combo would be VERY cool.

Not sure I'd get into a gritty serial killer/kidnapper story for Magnum though! A little too dark for a Magnum story, for my liking. I like the idea of a "Beverly Hills Cop" vibe, good action/good comedy.
golf wrote:Could Lucy Lui be the grown daughter, as wasn't Michelle's daugher Amerasian (though if that were the case, we'd really need someone who looks more like Nancy Kwan, but I don't know of a current actress who looks Caucasian with only a slight Oriental influence the way Nancy Kwan did)? But was she supposed to be TSM's daughter, not the General's? The child who played the part did not look like a cross of Thomas and Michelle to me.
Lily is Michelle & Magnum's daughter. Michelle is French.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#18 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, golfmobile you sure have put a lot of thought into the Magnum Movie and I wholeheartedly agree with you, now that I've read your comments. What you've come up with is as good or better than anyone in Hollywood would come up with, given their profit-driven movie scripts and poorly written episodic TV shows. And don't get me started on the supposed "reality" TV shows! I'm so OVER all of them except "Dog the Bounty Hunter". I guess I just can't get away from those Hawaii-based TV shows!

Baseball only lasts a summer, however long that summer lasts. ~Magnum to Mad Buck Gibson

grundle
Admiral

#19 Post by grundle »

If they don't have Phoebe Cates play Magnum, then there's no reason for me to see this movie.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:The sticking point for casting, other than TSM, of course, is the critical Higgins character. Though he wouldn't fit the "body type" of the original JQH, I think Alan Rickman (who has a history with TS in "QDU") could pull off the British persnickety-ness and condescension to TSM, yet be there to pull through when needed.
Although I do not want to see an MPI movie unless the original cast is in the movie, but as far as Higgins' character goes, I think Anthony Hopkins would be a good choice for that role. However, being an MPI purist, I still would want to see John Hillerman as JQH.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#21 Post by golfmobile »

I'm trying, I'm really trying, but I just can't see Anthony Hopkins saying, "Oh, MY GAHD!!" I feel there's a certain degree of camp comedy to the Higgins character, and I just can't see AH pulling that off. Yes, he is a wonderful actor . . . . .but . . . . maybe he'd like the fun of doing a "different" role of this type?

But all this is TOTALLY academic now, because the movie has been cast, hasn't it? Our little suggestions/contributions enterain only us, don't they?

More's the pity . . . .

Is there any CHANCE that Tom Selleck EVER follows this site and its forums to any degree? Or has he moved so far beyond MPI that it's a "dead horse" to him?

golf

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#22 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:But all this is TOTALLY academic now, because the movie has been cast, hasn't it? Our little suggestions/contributions enterain only us, don't they?
Has the movie been cast already? I must have missed this. If it has already been cast, who is in the MPI movie?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

Actually the movie has NOT been cast. It's only casting RUMORS. The last big casting claim came in Jan. '07 from what now appears to be a dubious source:

Magnum - Matthew McConaughey
Higgins - William H. Macy (!)
Rick - Steve Zahn
T.C. - Tyrese Gibson

Five months later, none of this has been confirmed. As of right now, the movie is still in pre-production limbo with no cast.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

grundle
Admiral

#24 Post by grundle »

They should have Phoebe Cates play Magnum, in the tidal pool, in the same bathing suit that Tom Selleck wore.

Gerry
Ensign

Casting Magnum

#25 Post by Gerry »

Unknowns that match the originals as close as possible. Not a charicature, but they need to be very similar.
Gerry :)

HiHo
Commander

#26 Post by HiHo »

Hi, Guys...

Short time lurker, first time poster...long time Magnum fan.

Here's my pics for the cast:

MAGNUM: Aaron Eckhart

He's he right age. He can do the full spectrum required by Magnum: Romantic, tough guy, easygoing...and goofy when need be. And he's got the build, rugged quality. That and he grins a lot. 8)

HIGGINS: Michael Palin

Palin speaks for himself. And he's a bona-fide world traveler, which would bring a real authenticity to the character.

My pics for TC and Rick were mentioned early on during this films loooong development, and they've really stuck with me.

RICK: Mark Wahlberg

T.C.: LL Cool J

What'cha guys think?
"I know what you're thinking..."

Waltstasz
Admiral

#27 Post by Waltstasz »

Great suggestions! I've not seen Eckhart in anything that I can remember, but I like the suggestion for Palin as Higgins.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by eegorr »

I doubt if they could get Palin to do it, but the rest of them would be great!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#29 Post by IslandHopper »

Your choice of Mark Wahlberg and LL Cool J are right on, but I don't remember seeing Aaron Eckhart in anything. However, he looks exactly like my brother. Uncanny. :shock:

I still firmly believe that the original cast should play in the movie. I understand this will not happen, but I don't think I will watch Magnum P.I., the movie, otherwise. :(

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#30 Post by SelleckLover »

I'm with you Island Hopper! Prolly won't go see it if McConaghy or Eckhart get the part. I do like the idea of Wahlberg and LL Cool J though. I think Anthony Hopkins would be the only actor that could do Higgins justice. Hillerman's a tough act to follow in my opinion.