Who should play Magnum in the movie?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Waltstasz
Admiral

Who should play Magnum in the movie?

#1 Post by Waltstasz »

Well, what does everyone think? Unfortunately, it appears that Selleck won't be in the movie so it looks like we'll have to settle for somebody else. But who? Most of the actors that I've heard suggested for the role don't seem like they would be a good fit: George Clooney, Ben Afflack :shock:, Vince Vaughn. Matthew McConaughey might be able to pull it off, IMDB lists him as 5'10" though :P.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Vince Vaughn would be my (second *) pick - he has the height, the acting chops, he does comedy very well, and he's athletic enough for the action scenes.

* Selleck, of course, is still my first pick. :wink:

KC
Lieutenant

#3 Post by KC »

Clooney would be my pick. Even though he's been voted "The Sexiest Man Alive" I still feel he possesses the self deprecating style as Selleck. Vaughn doesn’t come off as macho enough to portray a former Naval Intelligence office, i.e. SEAL and McConaughey annoys me.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#4 Post by Waltstasz »

That's what so difficult about picking the right actor. They have to be relatively fit and believable as a military guy, but still be able to be funny and sort of, well, bumbling, for lack of a better term. It'll be hard to find someone that can pull off the balance that Selleck seemed to achieve so effortlessly. I'm starting to think that it would be better to find some 'unknown' actor for the part.

And don't even get me started on Higgins. Hillerman played that character brilliantly.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

I think the main audience for a Magnum P.i. movie would still prefer to see Selleck back in the role. Otherwise, it would really just be another action/comedy using the Magnum name.

KC
Lieutenant

#6 Post by KC »

I agree but I also don't think a studio would green light a feature film with a 62 year old Tom Selleck reprising a role last seen 19 years ago. It could work as a series of television movies, which we've seen Selleck flourish in recently. The Jesse Stone movies, his TNT westerns; Last Stand at Saber River, Crossfire Trail & Monte Walsh prove his talents are most effective on television.
A feature film would be best, in my opinion, if it took the same characters but moved them into current times. I think Michael Mann’s new vision of Miami Vice is a good template to use, he took a series that is indelibly linked to the 80’s and modernized it, beefed it up to fit into today’s world. Magnum could be terrific with this sort of formula but of course it would be less violent and much, much funnier.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

I agree that a movie with the original cast would probably best be suited to the small screen. There, it would surely have great ratings and a better chance of reaching its core audience of older viewers (who don't tend to rush out on opening weekends).

The only difference between Magnum and other recent tv films is that Selleck truly made the character his own. Shows like Starsky and Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Miami Vice, etc. didn't really feature characters that could only be played by a certain actor. For example, the most important aspect of Miami Vice was not the actors, but the sense of style it conveyed.

In this respect, it's almost similar to Shatner as Kirk, Stallone as Rocky, or Ford as Indy. In such cases, the actors are so heavily identified with the roles, that audiences really don't care how old the actors are. Of course, it's unlikely that the studios will consider this, preferring instead to market the film to younger audiences that do not remember the original show. (Which is understandable).

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, great feedback guys.

I've been pulling for a made-for-tv movie for years. It's perfect for that kind of format. The Rockford Files, a show closely associated with Magnum for a variety of reasons, successfully made several made-for-tv movies, as has many other TV shows from that era.

I know Selleck was offered several chances to make a television movie of Magnum (with the original cast, too), but rejected them because he wanted to hold out for a major motion picture release, which ultimately never happened for him. Long time MPI producer Chas. Floyd Johnson recently reiterated this fact in an interview. I can sort of see why Selleck did it, but man that's tough to swallow! There could have been a movie .... with the original cast!

:cry:

Oh well, at least we will always have the episodes!

KC
Lieutenant

#9 Post by KC »

I'm still holding out hope of a TV movie because of the success CBS has had with Selleck's Jessie Stone movies but I have read that the major networks have all but dropped TV movies for good. However, IMDB does shows another Jessie Stone movie in the works, so who knows, maybe we will see our favorite PI, I mean private investigator, on the small screen once again.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#10 Post by Shermy »

I can understand Selleck holding out for a theatrical release back in the 90's, especially back when he had Tom Clancy willing to lend support. But ironically, now it looks as though his best chance will be if a big screen version falls through. Perhaps then we will be able to see the original cast back- if only on the small screen.

I'm also a little surprised that Selleck isn't interested in the next best thing: a series of made-for-cable films. This way, the film would not only debut with multiple airings, but would certainly be repeated more often than network tv. Selleck's westerns did very well on cable, and he was obviously pleased with the amount of support they received.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#11 Post by Waltstasz »

As much as I would have liked to see the original cast in something, I personally don't want to see a reunion movie (made for television or not) at this point any more than I want to see a modern 'spoof'. The problem with using the original cast now is that although the actors could probably pull it off, I think the movie would seem like it was being done more for the sake of nostalgia and a nod to the past then anything else. Even it there was a viable story it wouldn't come across that way to most people. And it also doesn't seem very likely to happen. From what I understand, there were offers to make TV movies in the past and Selleck wasn't interested; he wanted the big screen or nothing. Maybe he felt they had done all they could with the show with a television budget and format. I've never heard any definitive explanations.

Whatever the reasons, what we are left with is the opportunity to see something done that reintroduces Magnum to a new audience in a modern setting. To take the same basic elements that made the show work (nice list here) and incorporate them into a modern story. None of which gets me any closer to an opinion on who should play Mangum, though. :? Although I have to admit that while the actors will be important to the overall quality of the film, they are just one element of what will make it work.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

At this point in the game, I tend to agree with you Walt (Do you mind I call ya 'Walt'?). I'm certainly not against a modern take on the show.

The tv movie (either network or cable) really needed to be done back in the 90s, before Hillerman retired. Even if by some miracle they green-lighted a tv movie with the original cast, I'm not so sure Hillerman would do it. The guy is pushing 75 and has been retired for years. Having 3 of the 4 main cast members would almost be worse than nothing at all!

As long as everyone's still alive, I guess there is still a small, minute chance, however. Never say never! ;)

KC
Lieutenant

#13 Post by KC »

It seems Selleck has moved on. He's found success with the Jesse Stone TV films and probably doesn't want to go back to the Magnum role if possible. I was thinking the other day that I would like to see him and Sam Elliott do another Western together. They did The Sacketts and The Shadow Riders back in the late 70's and early 80's and I would love to see them on screen together again.
But getting back to the main reason for this board, which actor should play Magnum in the feature? If the character stays true to the television version the actor should be funny, but not goofy, dramatic, athletic and be able to carry a movie...plus being a name star wouldn't hurt. So I thought Brendan Fraser might work. He can do the action thing like in the two Mummy films, which were very Indian Jones like, and we all know that Selleck was the original choice to play Indie. He's tall and athletic plus he's got comedic chops, his short role on NBC's Scrubs was terrific.
Whadda think?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#14 Post by Shermy »

I agree a reunion film should've really happened in the 90's, although given a choice, I'd still prefer to see the original cast. (Hillerman's age does make the prospect less and less likely, though.) I've just always found sequels more interesting than prequels, reboots, or remakes.

Plus, one problem with a modern update is that it robs the character of a very essential ingredient: Vietnam. It wasn't just war, but being forced to go to war that led Magnum into a state of arrested adolescence. Yet today, it's not that uncommon to see a carefree, unmarried guy in his thirties who still enjoys childish pursuits (such as videogames; etc.). So they not only need to worry about finding the right actor, but also updating the character so that it contains the same amount of depth.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#15 Post by Waltstasz »

James J. Walters wrote:Do you mind I call ya 'Walt'?
Not at all. :)
KC wrote:If the character stays true to the television version the actor should be funny, but not goofy, dramatic, athletic and be able to carry a movie...plus being a name star wouldn't hurt. So I thought Brendan Fraser might work.
The more I think about it the more I like this idea. He definitely could make it work. He's 6'3" and will be 40 in 2008 so that fits. He can do action scenes, comedy and dramatic acting. If anybody doesn't think he has the dramatic skills, you need to rent Gods and Monsters. This is an excellent idea; I'm officially putting Brendan Fraser as my #1 choice (but I reserve the right to change my mind later. ;))