NO to a movie reboot, Yes to a tv show revival

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ohmygod
Lieutenant Junior Grade

NO to a movie reboot, Yes to a tv show revival

#1 Post by ohmygod »

After lurking for a bit I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents. And maybe it's already been suggested but I do not think a movie of any kind is a good idea. Look at the quality of movie let alone tv show you get these days. Unless you have someone willing to throw a ton of money behind it you will get a substandard story. Even the star wars prequels weren't very good on story, just flashy special effects.
TV is the way to go, whether it be a new tv movie/pilot like the original, or a revival of the series. I think the way this could work is perhaps, if all the original cast were available still, would be to pick up with Selleck's own idea on the movie, and re-enter the PI business in some way, if not the head of a company that does govt contract work of some sort (perhaps like the foundation from knight rider, or the firm from airwolf). There's a lot of other things that could be worked in, but one way or another he ends up back at the estate. Perhaps in a twist of fate, magnum himself "inherits" the estate or the majordomo responsibilities higgins previously had, and being 20 years or so older, ironically finds himself more and more becoming like higgins. Maybe eventually he meets someone (perhaps a younger version of himself?) who he invites to live in the guest house, where he now resides in the main house, and that way you could have a tie-in to the original series while keeping magnum and the original players. Higgins occasionally offered advice and shared stories (to the point of overkill usually) to magnum on his cases, and even became loose friends with rick and tc, perhaps the same could happen to magnum and a younger protege of sorts, who knows? Just imagine magnum yelling out in frustration "oh my god!" And maybe rick could even become the new ice pick :)
Anyway I think a tv show revival is the way to go and could be done if handled correctly with the right writers/directors and producing. Just look at the new Hawaii Five O - It has survived past 3 seasons now, and originally it looked like it may be cancelled within the first. And if it were to appear on the same network, you could even have a crossover episode(s) to the new Hawaii Five O. I think in fact in the original magnum, McGarrett was actually mentioned early on!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: NO to a movie reboot, Yes to a tv show revival

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

ohmygod wrote:After lurking for a bit I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents. And maybe it's already been suggested but I do not think a movie of any kind is a good idea. Look at the quality of movie let alone tv show you get these days. Unless you have someone willing to throw a ton of money behind it you will get a substandard story. Even the star wars prequels weren't very good on story, just flashy special effects.
TV is the way to go, whether it be a new tv movie/pilot like the original, or a revival of the series. I think the way this could work is perhaps, if all the original cast were available still, would be to pick up with Selleck's own idea on the movie, and re-enter the PI business in some way, if not the head of a company that does govt contract work of some sort (perhaps like the foundation from knight rider, or the firm from airwolf). There's a lot of other things that could be worked in, but one way or another he ends up back at the estate. Perhaps in a twist of fate, magnum himself "inherits" the estate or the majordomo responsibilities higgins previously had, and being 20 years or so older, ironically finds himself more and more becoming like higgins. Maybe eventually he meets someone (perhaps a younger version of himself?) who he invites to live in the guest house, where he now resides in the main house, and that way you could have a tie-in to the original series while keeping magnum and the original players. Higgins occasionally offered advice and shared stories (to the point of overkill usually) to magnum on his cases, and even became loose friends with rick and tc, perhaps the same could happen to magnum and a younger protege of sorts, who knows? Just imagine magnum yelling out in frustration "oh my god!" And maybe rick could even become the new ice pick :)
Anyway I think a tv show revival is the way to go and could be done if handled correctly with the right writers/directors and producing. Just look at the new Hawaii Five O - It has survived past 3 seasons now, and originally it looked like it may be cancelled within the first. And if it were to appear on the same network, you could even have a crossover episode(s) to the new Hawaii Five O. I think in fact in the original magnum, McGarrett was actually mentioned early on!

Hi OMG,

Welcome , great 1st post.

The next Coops or Old Dusseldorf is on me !
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Welcome aboard! I'm in agreement with you.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

How about a TV movie, instead? ;)

I just can't imagine Magnum P.I., any kind of Magnum P.I., without John Hillerman. Hillerman is 81 and retired, living the good life in Houston, Texas. There is no way he comes back to shoot a television series in Oahu. None. Nada. Zip. The only hope was a movie, and even then his part would have to be toned back quite a bit. I say was, because at this point I think even the prospect of Hillerman appearing in movie (TV or theatrical) is slim to none. 10 years ago, sure. 5 years ago, maybe. 2014? I don't think so.

I suppose they could attempt a show without him, or worse yet, replace him with somebody else, but it just wouldn't feel right (even with Selleck, Mosley and Manetti on board).

I've reluctantly come to accept this new reality over the last year or so. But you know what, it's ok. Magnum will forever live in our hearts as a one-of-a-kind show, a show set in 80's Oahu. The DVD's and reruns will live on... 148 one-hour episodes, 7 two-hour episodes; ~ 122 hours of glorious footage. And nothing can change that. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GUY »

"Quite".........here-here J.J.....well said!

Sadly, I'd have to agree, although, how old was Elisha Cook Jr. when he was guesting in the show?

But alas, I don't think JH would be up for it. Don't know his health situation, but going just on past sentiments expressed by him, I don't think he'd be anxious to be involved, however......I've been wrong before :lol:

Welcom OMG, your scenario is very similar to what I've come up with in my mind a few times as well. Love to see it happen, but again, I believe the forum founder has pegged reality once again.

It is what it is, and they can't take that away!
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ohmygod
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by ohmygod »

J.J. Walters wrote:How about a TV movie, instead? ;)

I just can't imagine Magnum P.I., any kind of Magnum P.I., without John Hillerman. Hillerman is 81 and retired, living the good life in Houston, Texas. There is no way he comes back to shoot a television series in Oahu. None. Nada. Zip. The only hope was a movie, and even then his part would have to be toned back quite a bit. I say was, because at this point I think even the prospect of Hillerman appearing in movie (TV or theatrical) is slim to none. 10 years ago, sure. 5 years ago, maybe. 2014? I don't think so.

I suppose they could attempt a show without him, or worse yet, replace him with somebody else, but it just wouldn't feel right (even with Selleck, Mosley and Manetti on board).

I've reluctantly come to accept this new reality over the last year or so. But you know what, it's ok. Magnum will forever live in our hearts as a one-of-a-kind show, a show set in 80's Oahu. The DVD's and reruns will live on... 148 one-hour episodes, 7 two-hour episodes; ~ 122 hours of glorious footage. And nothing can change that. :)
I agree totally, it would not be the same show without Higgins because the character became so central to the overall show and was there from the beginning. And absolutely there should not be an attempt to replace anyone if at all possible especially Higgins or Magnum. That's why I think the idea of Magnum eventually taking over the estate is one way to go. I too agree JH could not handle perhaps a whole new series, but perhaps just a first season or at least long enough to set things up. I think the way it could be done is that Magnum comes back to the estate one way or another, perhaps just even for a visit, and finds an ailing Higgins. He fills in for him eventually and then either directly or indirectly inherits his former responsibilities. Perhaps even it could turn out his theory of Higgins really being RM was true after all and he ends up being willed the estate. I know JH could not do an entire new series, but possibly could at least handle an episode or two. Even just a new tv movie which if enough interest follows, could become the pilot for a series revival. Obviously there's a lot of other things that would have to be set up correctly as well. Basically I just don't see the show being done correctly as a big screen picture. Perhaps a compromise could be a mini series/series of tv movies. Then if things go right, perhaps and we get lucky, it could become a new series, even for just a few seasons would be great. :)

ohmygod
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by ohmygod »

308GUY wrote:"Quite".........here-here J.J.....well said!

Sadly, I'd have to agree, although, how old was Elisha Cook Jr. when he was guesting in the show?

But alas, I don't think JH would be up for it. Don't know his health situation, but going just on past sentiments expressed by him, I don't think he'd be anxious to be involved, however......I've been wrong before :lol:

Welcom OMG, your scenario is very similar to what I've come up with in my mind a few times as well. Love to see it happen, but again, I believe the forum founder has pegged reality once again.

It is what it is, and they can't take that away!
Thanks! (and thanks to Terry for the beer) :magnum:

Yes I agree JH could not do a new series entirely, but perhaps if done right as a mini series or a series of made for tv movies, he could appear in the first few and that could set up the scenario where Magnum inherits Higgins role. Possibly RM decided to will the estate to Higgins and Mag, or M's theory that Higgins was really RM turns out to be true, and he inherits it from Higgins, I'm not sure what would be the best thing. I thought that would be a way to go because I know JH could never long term reclaim his role and I think it would be ironic and entertaining to see magnum slowly morph into "higgins" so to speak. Yes I imagined I would not be the only one to think of this scenario, but it would be one way to get everyone else involved again while facing the reality of JH's age and health. Maybe he could even have a voice over as well like RM did, where it's his voice. They better do something soon before it's too late though, because it would better to have JH in a few episodes or even a tv movie, than not have him there at all.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

I could see Higgins doing a scene over the phone talking to Magnum from England after he retired from Robin's Nest. Just to add some closure and set up the premise of the show. This way JH could stay in Texas. Having said that, I agree with JJ that this ship has most likely sailed into the sunset, but it is always nice to dream.

ohmygod
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by ohmygod »

KENJI wrote:I could see Higgins doing a scene over the phone talking to Magnum from England after he retired from Robin's Nest. Just to add some closure and set up the premise of the show. This way JH could stay in Texas. Having said that, I agree with JJ that this ship has most likely sailed into the sunset, but it is always nice to dream.
That's probably the way to go for Higgins character, by phone/voice over ala RM in the original series. Maybe it is too late. I just thought given that they had the new Hawaii Five O series reboot and worked that tie in to the original, that it could maybe work somehow, especially since there was similar doubts about the new Five O before it aired and after the first season.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:How about a TV movie, instead? ;)

I agree with this as well. Maybe I'll do some advance work to "nudge"...

:magnum:

Fitzy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by Fitzy »

A new Magnum P. I
Ahhh, a TV series revival! Now you have my interest indeed!!! :D

As huge fan of the show I would love to see it's return. Return is the key word here. There are soooo many ways to pick up where it left off, and to not try to “remake” the series. The talk of a feature film, and "who would play who", doesn't have the appeal of a really good serial drama. God knows we need one! (Blue Bloods aside)
The key here is to ‘Evolve’ from what has been paved from the 80’s show into what could be some of the best TV drama of our current time.

The bottom line is the Magnum P.I can only be Tom Selleck. Selleck is without any doubt an incredibly talented and brilliant actor. He made the show what it was in the 80's. Without Selleck, the original series would have only lasted a couple of years. Yes I accept that there was an amazing bunch of writers and actors that went along with it, but Selleck is Magnum!
The guy is capable of playing the serious to the jovial-larrikin if still need be. He undoubtedly has many years left in his career as an actor and incredible screen presence.

Everybody appears to throw their two cents in for a comeback comment, so I will do mine here.

This is What I would suggest for the First episode to kick off the evolution process:

Thomas Sullivan Magnum
Can only be played by Tom Selleck. That's a given!
TM, soon to be retiring as a Vice Admiral (Navel Intelligence), returns to Hawaii after many years of being away and serving on the mainland. His early return is instigated by receiving information from Rick that his daughter, Lilly Catherine Magnum, has not been seen or heard for a few months. (More on that later - I’m in the process of a screenplay for first 4 episodes - I have some creative time on my hands)
TM’s character would of course be a little older and wiser, but with the same hints of minor delinquent behaviour that we all remember in his character. His career in the navy could have gone higher, but often clashed with the political aspirations of others.

Lilly Catherine Magnum
Perhaps played by Haley Atwell (right age and certainly great appeal. She can pull of the accent too)
Lilly Magnum is a serving officer in Navel Intelligence at Pearl Harbor. She is missing after an, off-the-books, personal investigation into corruption and misappropriation of govt funds by navel contractors. More on that later.
Background:
Lilly had moved into the guesthouse at the estate some years ago, while her father was living on the mainland. She developed a special bond with JQ Higgins prior to his retirement and his move back to the UK. She has been fathered by JQ Higgins, Rick and TC in TM’s absence in the recent years. She has developed close friendships and bonds with Rick and TC's children over the years.
Much like her father, Lilly Magnum doesn't always follow the rules and often sways outside of 'protocol'. Her behavior, and clashing with the "navy way", ultimately leads to her resignation of Navy duty near the end of the first episode. Lilly decides that her new career path, much to her fathers dislike, will change to that of a private investigator.

Higgins
Sadly due to Hillerman's age, (god love him -he also made the show what it was! Sheer Brilliance!) he is probably reluctant to kick off the first episode. With that said, there could be room for Hillerman to do the odd 'read letter voice over' etc, for the show if he was up for it.
The void of the “Higgins” character would certainly need to be filled.
Jonathan Quail Higgins, in his retirement, returns to the UK to live at the family (Higgins) Estate back home after the death of his older brother. The eldest niece of JQ Higgins, Pippa Jane Higgins, is the daughter of JQ’s elder (now deceased) brother.
PJ Higgins comes out from the UK to look after the "The Estate" and take over JQ's role. There would still be some questions as to who is the owner of the estate which comes about in later episodes. (more of that later)
A female in this role would work really well when you think about it. Somebody like Helen Mirren would be amazing, or at least somebody of that caliber and age. She would need to portray that strong, Brittish-siff-upper-lip attitude. A female could certainly bring across a real ‘love-hate’ relationship with TM, perhaps a small ‘awkward flame’ down the track to make things interesting. I see the new PJ Higgins as still being very patriotic to the Queen and having a colourfull past within the military and MI-6. This adds to the confidence and interesting past of her character.
I also see this female version of Higgins as building a ‘mother hen' style relationship with Lilly. This would add real depth to the series.

TC and Rick
Bring back Larry and Roger.
Without going into the first four episodes, I could see the return and odd appearances of Rick and TC in some episodes. I would certainly envisage Rick and TC’s children as regulars and close friends with Lilly. (more on that later)

The introduction of Lilly as a full time investigator, and the relationship she has with TM would provide some incredible dynamics and interesting TV drama. The concept of a father-daughter investigative team is very new and also brings a captivating angle. This would give some writers an interesting backbone for creative drama beyond that of the normal cop and crime shows. It will certainly open up some interesting perspectives and dialogue amongst the characters to say the least.
Perhaps a cameo written episode by Chris Abbott would sneak it’s way in. Hmmm.

There are definitely a few other things from the old series that would need to return.
The original Ferrari, reshoot at the Anderson’s Estate (come on CBS, buy it for god sake, it’s an icon and should be restored to its original form) and a couple of Doberman of course!
Without a doubt, the priceless ‘coy look’ into the camera by TM and Lilly, and self narration by the two (perhaps almost banter like with, “I know what your thinking” statements.) Priceless!

That’s my two cents worth.

Ahh come on CBS a return will make you millions and certainly bring happiness to all that enjoy good TV drama!
Perhaps Tom could produce too.

Fitzy.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome Fitzy. :magnum:

Certainly an interesting first post!

I like much of what you propose for an opener, and agree, we need something different, more like "the good ole' days" on tv, as opposed to most of what passes for entertainment today,(BB excluded, and a "few" others).

There have been quite a few ideas presented, here and elsewhere, many of which would fly very well, if pulled off correctly by the right people.

Don't know if it'll ever happen with any of the original cast, and that in itself may prevent it from ever coming to fruition in any form.....time will tell.....but I'd watch it! :higgins:

Either way, check out the entire site, JJ has provided an incomparable place for all us Magnum maniacs to share our thoughts, experiences and ideas.

Long live MM! :magnum:

(They're gonna need a car....lemme' see what I can find! 8) ... of course the original 308 will still be there with a couple inches of dust on it, but it can be brought back as well!)
Here we go!...........actually, it's not a real Ferrari yet, and may never be, but it is a gorgeous design and TM would look soooo good behind the wheel! Hope the link works....
http://www.beautifullife.info/wp-conten ... ept-20.jpg
Last edited by 308GUY on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi and welcome, Fitzy!

Wow, I love your ideas! What a wonderful concept!

Two things would be important to me as a viewer...

1) Tom Selleck is the star and not Lily (& friends.) I really like Blue Bloods but what keeps me from loving it is that they made Selleck’s role too much of a supporting character for me. I would want him as the main character, and I would bet other Magnum faithfuls would agree. I assume you’re bringing in Lily & friends for the younger audience (and for depth), which is understandable, but I’d really want to see Selleck as the main character.

2) This is minor, but TM would move back into the guesthouse when he returns, and Lily could maybe move to the main house? He just has to live in the guesthouse! :wink:

I love your father-daughter private investigator team idea, love a female Higgins with that “awkward flame” thing with TM, and really love Larry & Roger returning!

Great ideas, Fitzy! Would love to read more!

Have fun here!

~RG

Fitzy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by Fitzy »

Thanks RG for you comments

Ok, we put TM back in the Guest House. Still must have those impromptu interruptions by Higgins!

I wouldn't imagine TM not being the star. He is Magnum of course!
Like most viewers, I feel having Selleck in Blue Bloods is a big draw card. There probably should be more of him.

I would imagine that Lily would share the lead though. It's a massive physical, and no doubt mental strain to take a full lead roll by yourself. Heaps of long days shooting and remembering lines.Having a dual lead would take that pressure off and hopefully provide Selleck with more stamina do do more years in the series.

I still see Rick as the 'go to guy' for information, probably taking on a little more of Ice Pick's who-is-who roll (the island knowledge base), but without the shady element. Rick was always a good guy!
Perhaps TC's just runs the aviation business and His son does more of the flying. (Must have a chopper in the series)

The introduction to the younger generation is important to take on the bulk of the roll playing and bullet dodging during various cases. It also opens up lateral story lines during the series.

Fitzy

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Thanks, Fitzy. I forgot about the physical demands of a TV series with the long hours etc. Guess I’m just being selfish and don’t want any other character stealing screen time from Magnum. I find myself feeling resentful toward the Danny character on BB (and it's not even MPI!), so I’ve already got my back up about Lily! :wink: