It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 am 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

After lurking for a bit I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents. And maybe it's already been suggested but I do not think a movie of any kind is a good idea. Look at the quality of movie let alone tv show you get these days. Unless you have someone willing to throw a ton of money behind it you will get a substandard story. Even the star wars prequels weren't very good on story, just flashy special effects.
TV is the way to go, whether it be a new tv movie/pilot like the original, or a revival of the series. I think the way this could work is perhaps, if all the original cast were available still, would be to pick up with Selleck's own idea on the movie, and re-enter the PI business in some way, if not the head of a company that does govt contract work of some sort (perhaps like the foundation from knight rider, or the firm from airwolf). There's a lot of other things that could be worked in, but one way or another he ends up back at the estate. Perhaps in a twist of fate, magnum himself "inherits" the estate or the majordomo responsibilities higgins previously had, and being 20 years or so older, ironically finds himself more and more becoming like higgins. Maybe eventually he meets someone (perhaps a younger version of himself?) who he invites to live in the guest house, where he now resides in the main house, and that way you could have a tie-in to the original series while keeping magnum and the original players. Higgins occasionally offered advice and shared stories (to the point of overkill usually) to magnum on his cases, and even became loose friends with rick and tc, perhaps the same could happen to magnum and a younger protege of sorts, who knows? Just imagine magnum yelling out in frustration "oh my god!" And maybe rick could even become the new ice pick :)
Anyway I think a tv show revival is the way to go and could be done if handled correctly with the right writers/directors and producing. Just look at the new Hawaii Five O - It has survived past 3 seasons now, and originally it looked like it may be cancelled within the first. And if it were to appear on the same network, you could even have a crossover episode(s) to the new Hawaii Five O. I think in fact in the original magnum, McGarrett was actually mentioned early on!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:35 am 
Fleet Admiral

ohmygod wrote:
After lurking for a bit I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents. And maybe it's already been suggested but I do not think a movie of any kind is a good idea. Look at the quality of movie let alone tv show you get these days. Unless you have someone willing to throw a ton of money behind it you will get a substandard story. Even the star wars prequels weren't very good on story, just flashy special effects.
TV is the way to go, whether it be a new tv movie/pilot like the original, or a revival of the series. I think the way this could work is perhaps, if all the original cast were available still, would be to pick up with Selleck's own idea on the movie, and re-enter the PI business in some way, if not the head of a company that does govt contract work of some sort (perhaps like the foundation from knight rider, or the firm from airwolf). There's a lot of other things that could be worked in, but one way or another he ends up back at the estate. Perhaps in a twist of fate, magnum himself "inherits" the estate or the majordomo responsibilities higgins previously had, and being 20 years or so older, ironically finds himself more and more becoming like higgins. Maybe eventually he meets someone (perhaps a younger version of himself?) who he invites to live in the guest house, where he now resides in the main house, and that way you could have a tie-in to the original series while keeping magnum and the original players. Higgins occasionally offered advice and shared stories (to the point of overkill usually) to magnum on his cases, and even became loose friends with rick and tc, perhaps the same could happen to magnum and a younger protege of sorts, who knows? Just imagine magnum yelling out in frustration "oh my god!" And maybe rick could even become the new ice pick :)
Anyway I think a tv show revival is the way to go and could be done if handled correctly with the right writers/directors and producing. Just look at the new Hawaii Five O - It has survived past 3 seasons now, and originally it looked like it may be cancelled within the first. And if it were to appear on the same network, you could even have a crossover episode(s) to the new Hawaii Five O. I think in fact in the original magnum, McGarrett was actually mentioned early on!

Hi OMG,

Welcome , great 1st post.

The next Coops or Old Dusseldorf is on me !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 am 
Maniac Emeritus

Welcome aboard! I'm in agreement with you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:44 pm 
Founding Father

How about a TV movie, instead? ;)

I just can't imagine Magnum P.I., any kind of Magnum P.I., without John Hillerman. Hillerman is 81 and retired, living the good life in Houston, Texas. There is no way he comes back to shoot a television series in Oahu. None. Nada. Zip. The only hope was a movie, and even then his part would have to be toned back quite a bit. I say was, because at this point I think even the prospect of Hillerman appearing in movie (TV or theatrical) is slim to none. 10 years ago, sure. 5 years ago, maybe. 2014? I don't think so.

I suppose they could attempt a show without him, or worse yet, replace him with somebody else, but it just wouldn't feel right (even with Selleck, Mosley and Manetti on board).

I've reluctantly come to accept this new reality over the last year or so. But you know what, it's ok. Magnum will forever live in our hearts as a one-of-a-kind show, a show set in 80's Oahu. The DVD's and reruns will live on... 148 one-hour episodes, 7 two-hour episodes; ~ 122 hours of glorious footage. And nothing can change that. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:13 am 
Fleet Admiral

"Quite".........here-here J.J.....well said!

Sadly, I'd have to agree, although, how old was Elisha Cook Jr. when he was guesting in the show?

But alas, I don't think JH would be up for it. Don't know his health situation, but going just on past sentiments expressed by him, I don't think he'd be anxious to be involved, however......I've been wrong before :lol:

Welcom OMG, your scenario is very similar to what I've come up with in my mind a few times as well. Love to see it happen, but again, I believe the forum founder has pegged reality once again.

It is what it is, and they can't take that away!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 am 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

J.J. Walters wrote:

I just can't imagine Magnum P.I., any kind of Magnum P.I., without John Hillerman. Hillerman is 81 and retired, living the good life in Houston, Texas. There is no way he comes back to shoot a television series in Oahu. None. Nada. Zip. The only hope was a movie, and even then his part would have to be toned back quite a bit. I say was, because at this point I think even the prospect of Hillerman appearing in movie (TV or theatrical) is slim to none. 10 years ago, sure. 5 years ago, maybe. 2014? I don't think so.

I suppose they could attempt a show without him, or worse yet, replace him with somebody else, but it just wouldn't feel right (even with Selleck, Mosley and Manetti on board).

I've reluctantly come to accept this new reality over the last year or so. But you know what, it's ok. Magnum will forever live in our hearts as a one-of-a-kind show, a show set in 80's Oahu. The DVD's and reruns will live on... 148 one-hour episodes, 7 two-hour episodes; ~ 122 hours of glorious footage. And nothing can change that. :)

I agree totally, it would not be the same show without Higgins because the character became so central to the overall show and was there from the beginning. And absolutely there should not be an attempt to replace anyone if at all possible especially Higgins or Magnum. That's why I think the idea of Magnum eventually taking over the estate is one way to go. I too agree JH could not handle perhaps a whole new series, but perhaps just a first season or at least long enough to set things up. I think the way it could be done is that Magnum comes back to the estate one way or another, perhaps just even for a visit, and finds an ailing Higgins. He fills in for him eventually and then either directly or indirectly inherits his former responsibilities. Perhaps even it could turn out his theory of Higgins really being RM was true after all and he ends up being willed the estate. I know JH could not do an entire new series, but possibly could at least handle an episode or two. Even just a new tv movie which if enough interest follows, could become the pilot for a series revival. Obviously there's a lot of other things that would have to be set up correctly as well. Basically I just don't see the show being done correctly as a big screen picture. Perhaps a compromise could be a mini series/series of tv movies. Then if things go right, perhaps and we get lucky, it could become a new series, even for just a few seasons would be great. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 am 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

308GUY wrote:
"Quite".........here-here J.J.....well said!

Sadly, I'd have to agree, although, how old was Elisha Cook Jr. when he was guesting in the show?

But alas, I don't think JH would be up for it. Don't know his health situation, but going just on past sentiments expressed by him, I don't think he'd be anxious to be involved, however......I've been wrong before :lol:

Welcom OMG, your scenario is very similar to what I've come up with in my mind a few times as well. Love to see it happen, but again, I believe the forum founder has pegged reality once again.

It is what it is, and they can't take that away!

Thanks! (and thanks to Terry for the beer) :magnum:

Yes I agree JH could not do a new series entirely, but perhaps if done right as a mini series or a series of made for tv movies, he could appear in the first few and that could set up the scenario where Magnum inherits Higgins role. Possibly RM decided to will the estate to Higgins and Mag, or M's theory that Higgins was really RM turns out to be true, and he inherits it from Higgins, I'm not sure what would be the best thing. I thought that would be a way to go because I know JH could never long term reclaim his role and I think it would be ironic and entertaining to see magnum slowly morph into "higgins" so to speak. Yes I imagined I would not be the only one to think of this scenario, but it would be one way to get everyone else involved again while facing the reality of JH's age and health. Maybe he could even have a voice over as well like RM did, where it's his voice. They better do something soon before it's too late though, because it would better to have JH in a few episodes or even a tv movie, than not have him there at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:58 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I could see Higgins doing a scene over the phone talking to Magnum from England after he retired from Robin's Nest. Just to add some closure and set up the premise of the show. This way JH could stay in Texas. Having said that, I agree with JJ that this ship has most likely sailed into the sunset, but it is always nice to dream.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:23 pm 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

KENJI wrote:
I could see Higgins doing a scene over the phone talking to Magnum from England after he retired from Robin's Nest. Just to add some closure and set up the premise of the show. This way JH could stay in Texas. Having said that, I agree with JJ that this ship has most likely sailed into the sunset, but it is always nice to dream.

That's probably the way to go for Higgins character, by phone/voice over ala RM in the original series. Maybe it is too late. I just thought given that they had the new Hawaii Five O series reboot and worked that tie in to the original, that it could maybe work somehow, especially since there was similar doubts about the new Five O before it aired and after the first season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 pm 
Maniac Emeritus

J.J. Walters wrote:

I agree with this as well. Maybe I'll do some advance work to "nudge"...

:magnum: