NO to a movie reboot, Yes to a tv show revival

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Estate resident
Captain

Re: NO to a movie reboot, Yes to a tv show revival

#16 Post by Estate resident »

ohmygod wrote:After lurking for a bit I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents. And maybe it's already been suggested but I do not think a movie of any kind is a good idea. Look at the quality of movie let alone tv show you get these days. Unless you have someone willing to throw a ton of money behind it you will get a substandard story. Even the star wars prequels weren't very good on story, just flashy special effects.
TV is the way to go, whether it be a new tv movie/pilot like the original, or a revival of the series. I think the way this could work is perhaps, if all the original cast were available still, would be to pick up with Selleck's own idea on the movie, and re-enter the PI business in some way, if not the head of a company that does govt contract work of some sort (perhaps like the foundation from knight rider, or the firm from airwolf). There's a lot of other things that could be worked in, but one way or another he ends up back at the estate. Perhaps in a twist of fate, magnum himself "inherits" the estate or the majordomo responsibilities higgins previously had, and being 20 years or so older, ironically finds himself more and more becoming like higgins. Maybe eventually he meets someone (perhaps a younger version of himself?) who he invites to live in the guest house, where he now resides in the main house, and that way you could have a tie-in to the original series while keeping magnum and the original players. Higgins occasionally offered advice and shared stories (to the point of overkill usually) to magnum on his cases, and even became loose friends with rick and tc, perhaps the same could happen to magnum and a younger protege of sorts, who knows? Just imagine magnum yelling out in frustration "oh my god!" And maybe rick could even become the new ice pick :)
Anyway I think a tv show revival is the way to go and could be done if handled correctly with the right writers/directors and producing. Just look at the new Hawaii Five O - It has survived past 3 seasons now, and originally it looked like it may be cancelled within the first. And if it were to appear on the same network, you could even have a crossover episode(s) to the new Hawaii Five O. I think in fact in the original magnum, McGarrett was actually mentioned early on!
Ohmy - that is easily the best idea I've heard so far re: MPI!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re: NO to a movie reboot, Yes to a tv show revival

#17 Post by Seaver41 »

for those who remember Hardcastle and McCormick........I can see that angle.......older mentor with the younger actor doing the heavy lifting........but Selleck is not hurting for work and my guess is that wouldn't suit his interests.