It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 am 
Founding Father

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... hey-625407

Quote:
...received an offer of $15 million against 15 percent of the backend to star in Universal and Imagine's big-screen take on Magnum, P.I.

:shock:

Looks like If he'd said yes there was a good chance the movie would have been made. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:29 am 
Maniac Emeritus

I think it's a good thing.

Not that I have a major issue with him playing Magnum, as I think he could definitely bring something to it. But I think he was right when the target chooses the arrow.

Probably a good move for him, as maybe the script was just horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:33 am 
Ultimate Magnum PI Fan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Doc Ibold wrote:
I think it's a good thing.

Not that I have a major issue with him playing Magnum, as I think he could definitely bring something to it. But I think he was right when the target chooses the arrow.

Probably a good move for him, as maybe the script was just horrible.

I think you're on to something with the horrible script. 2008, perhaps there was still a hangover from those Miami Vice / Starsky & Hutch movies?

I agree that of all choices I've heard McConaughey had the best potential.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:37 pm 
Fleet Admiral

it's fool's gold to do the movie. The actor is the character...and w/o him....you don't have a movie. You simply have a movie using names and places we are familiar with. Whatever the movie turns out to be.......it won't be Magnum PI......it will be some movie with a character of the same name. My guess is Matthew is smart enough to know this is not gonna work.

Some characters are iconic to the actor. That's just a fact of life. Does anyone really think making a Dirty Harry remake is gonna ever work? We didn't watch them for the sake of seeing Harry Callahan....we watch to see Clint Eastwood squint and blast bad guys....no matter his screen name. Think about it, was there much difference between the character in the Dirty Harry movies and the one he played in the Gauntlet? It was Clint, that's all we needed to know.

Another item...Star Trek. Do you know why the remake with a new Kirk worked? It's because between the time of Shatner acting and the new one, the Star Trek universe dwarfed the importance of any one single actor. That will never be the case with Magnum.

IMO, to make a Magnum movie is a cheap attempt to make a buck. They literally have to wait until Selleck is long gone before it may work...long enough for people to disassociate character....kind of like McGarrett and 5-O.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:48 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I hate McConaughey so I'm glad. To me he'll always be this guy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:12 am 
Maniac Emeritus

Who DOESN'T like Wooderson?

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:18 am 
Fleet Admiral

Doc Ibold wrote:
Who DOESN'T like Wooderson?

:wink:

http://youtu.be/6Wf-mRo7C2I

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:39 am 
Fleet Admiral

Massive respect to McConaughey for turning it down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:19 am 
Captain

Seaver41 wrote:
it's fool's gold to do the movie. The actor is the character...and w/o him....you don't have a movie. You simply have a movie using names and places we are familiar with. Whatever the movie turns out to be.......it won't be Magnum PI......it will be some movie with a character of the same name. My guess is Matthew is smart enough to know this is not gonna work.

Some characters are iconic to the actor. That's just a fact of life. Does anyone really think making a Dirty Harry remake is gonna ever work? We didn't watch them for the sake of seeing Harry Callahan....we watch to see Clint Eastwood squint and blast bad guys....no matter his screen name. Think about it, was there much difference between the character in the Dirty Harry movies and the one he played in the Gauntlet? It was Clint, that's all we needed to know.

Another item...Star Trek. Do you know why the remake with a new Kirk worked? It's because between the time of Shatner acting and the new one, the Star Trek universe dwarfed the importance of any one single actor. That will never be the case with Magnum.

IMO, to make a Magnum movie is a cheap attempt to make a buck. They literally have to wait until Selleck is long gone before it may work...long enough for people to disassociate character....kind of like McGarrett and 5-O.

Well put. Any mpi movie w/out Selleck might as well go straight to Netflix. Skipping theaters AND dvd rental.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 am 
Captain

Television was a big part of american's lives then. The internet has replaced it. Box office movies are far less influential now than ever. All we can do is be very glad to have grown up when we did watching cbs on Thursday nights one damned good show.