Movie Idea

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rubberchicken
Ensign

Movie Idea

#1 Post by Rubberchicken »

Hello, all! New to the site, so I apologize if someone has already posted this movie idea but here goes and I'll try to be brief:
- I'd like to see the movie reboot the franchise, with other movies following it

- perhaps a prequel to the series? Similar to how "Batman Begins" rebooted the Batman franchize. The movie could detail how Magnum and friends end up in Hawaii (perhaps helping Rick with something Icepick related?) but take place before the t.v. series takes place.

-This movie needs to be set in the 1980s, but not a movie poking fun at the original series or spoofing the 80s

-New actors will be necessary, sad but true. I think MM is still the best choice for Magnum, Victor Williams(Deacon from King of Queens) as T.C., Paul Giamatti as Higgins. I still haven't figured who should play Rick.

Anyway, lived in Hawaii when Magnum taped, and miss the show very much. Thank you to all who contribute to this site! It's the only thing filling the void of a Magnumless world, right now!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MACattack »

I agree with Paul Giamatti as Higgins. In fact I suggested him 4 months ago, much to a lot of chagrin from different people.

Nobody could ever replace Tom Selleck, though... I don't feel it's possible.
I just don't give a damn!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hey Rubberchicken, welcome aboard!

Frankly, the "prequel" wouldn't be that bad of an idea. It's never really been explained HOW Magnum got onto Robin's Nest... only that he did something for him.

You could make an entire movie out of that initial first case, and at the end, have him end up at Robin's Nest.

It's been established that in DITHSH (Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii) that Magnum had been out of the Navy for a year prior to that case. What happened in that year?

What caused Magnum to leave the Navy? The whole "33 and not being 23" story is mysterious enough in its origins. There HAD to be a catalyst.

The more I write this.... the more I might put pen to paper. (Pipe Dream... but might be having a LOT more free time in the near future).

It fulfills several different levels.

a) You can have a younger Magnum and not rely on the original cast. (I have to be a Debbie downer... but it ain't gonna happen, sorry forum peeps!).

b) You get the early Navy aspect and the transition to Private Investigator. (The missing year, and you get the military aspect without getting all Tom Clancy Jack Ryanish high espionage and intrigue... which I felt would be a HUUUGE disappointment to fans and moviegoers alike. If you want to see what that Movie would be like, watch Season Six's "Blood and Honor". Magnum is many things, but boil it down to this..... Hawaii, Ferrari, Humanity, Humor, Friendship.. in no particular order. Lose that... lose the movie.

c) You can meet Rick, TC, and Higgins for the first time. Rick and TC assisting (reluctantly) on the case, and Magnum being over at Robin's Nest, much to the chagrin of Higgins - cementing their adversarial, yet mutually respectful relationship due to Magnums unorthodox, yet ultimately successful methods.

THUS, when the initial episode happens, you understand why Higgins and Magnum have the relationship that they do.

d) And this is where the boo-birds come out.....

:D

No Michelle, no Lily. A completely tangential subplot that can be better addressed elsewhere... Plus, at the time, Magnum believed Michelle to be dead. Makes no sense to have them in there. No Ivan. No high intrigue.

We can leave that for the sequel

Mac, Agatha, Buck Greene... all can have bit roles.

WOW. I have to get started on this!!!

Thanks Rubberchicken!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm feeling that Doc! I'm feelin' it real strong! Do it! Just don't forget to include a KGB-trained "Attack Macaw"! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Danno »

Yes!

I would see that in a flash...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

eeyore
Admiral

#6 Post by eeyore »

I agree the only way to make this palitable with new actors would be making a prequel. Then bring the original characters back for a scene at the very end in "present day" for an epilogue.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eeyore wrote:I agree the only way to make this palitable with new actors would be making a prequel. Then bring the original characters back for a scene at the very end in "present day" for an epilogue.
Wow! There's a name I haven't seen in a while! Where've you been hiding eeyore?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eeyore
Admiral

#8 Post by eeyore »

Thanks for missing me! LOL I've been lurking and quite frankly my visits have been more infrequent so I am in catch up mode. Sneaking on at work today and some of the images in the posts are broken and some not,so hoping when I log on later at home I can see everything. Like the beach photos and the Rare Photos thread.
Football season has started so my workload has stepped up and my freetime is dwindling. My time is my own again in February! :)

Radaen
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Radaen »

J.J. Walters wrote:I'm feeling that Doc! I'm feelin' it real strong! Do it! Just don't forget to include a KGB-trained "Attack Macaw"! :)
That gave me a pretty good laugh. LOL.

Sullivan Magnum
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by Sullivan Magnum »

Doc Ibold wrote:Hey Rubberchicken, welcome aboard!

Frankly, the "prequel" wouldn't be that bad of an idea. It's never really been explained HOW Magnum got onto Robin's Nest... only that he did something for him.

You could make an entire movie out of that initial first case, and at the end, have him end up at Robin's Nest.

It's been established that in DITHSH (Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii) that Magnum had been out of the Navy for a year prior to that case. What happened in that year?

What caused Magnum to leave the Navy? The whole "33 and not being 23" story is mysterious enough in its origins. There HAD to be a catalyst.

The more I write this.... the more I might put pen to paper. (Pipe Dream... but might be having a LOT more free time in the near future).

It fulfills several different levels.

a) You can have a younger Magnum and not rely on the original cast. (I have to be a Debbie downer... but it ain't gonna happen, sorry forum peeps!).

b) You get the early Navy aspect and the transition to Private Investigator. (The missing year, and you get the military aspect without getting all Tom Clancy Jack Ryanish high espionage and intrigue... which I felt would be a HUUUGE disappointment to fans and moviegoers alike. If you want to see what that Movie would be like, watch Season Six's "Blood and Honor". Magnum is many things, but boil it down to this..... Hawaii, Ferrari, Humanity, Humor, Friendship.. in no particular order. Lose that... lose the movie.

c) You can meet Rick, TC, and Higgins for the first time. Rick and TC assisting (reluctantly) on the case, and Magnum being over at Robin's Nest, much to the chagrin of Higgins - cementing their adversarial, yet mutually respectful relationship due to Magnums unorthodox, yet ultimately successful methods.

THUS, when the initial episode happens, you understand why Higgins and Magnum have the relationship that they do.

d) And this is where the boo-birds come out.....

:D

No Michelle, no Lily. A completely tangential subplot that can be better addressed elsewhere... Plus, at the time, Magnum believed Michelle to be dead. Makes no sense to have them in there. No Ivan. No high intrigue.

We can leave that for the sequel

Mac, Agatha, Buck Greene... all can have bit roles.

WOW. I have to get started on this!!!

Thanks Rubberchicken!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum though I've been checking out the website for the past 2 years.

Based on what I've read and heard about the MAGNUM P.I. Movie it is going to take place before the TV Series began.

My ideal MAGNUM P.I. Movie would be inspired by Season 3 Episode 1 & 2 "Did You See The Sunrise," in which Thomas and T.C. are P.O.W's and Rick later joins the team.

I would make some "adjustments" to the original back story of the series.

Because the movie is going to be a reboot of the franchise set in modern day, and take place before the TV Series began, I would have Thomas, Rick, and T.C. be in the war in Iraq.

Instead of having Thomas Magnum's father fight and die in the Korean War, I'd have him be MIA in Vietnam. Then in the movie I'd have Thomas and his Navy SEAL Team have to rescue a high ranking Counter Terrorist Intelligence Officer who just happens to be Thomas Magnum's dad.

That way they can have a younger Magnum AND the original cast in the movie. Worked for J.J. Abrahms STAR TREK Movie, why not MAGNUM P.I.?

Jaspera
Ensign

#11 Post by Jaspera »

Great idea. Its such a awesome. I like it and i hope all users are like your idea. Thanks to share your idea.