It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:39 am 
Offline
Fleet Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:44 pm
Posts: 526
Location: Portland Oregon
I, for one, do not like the idea of a new Magnum, PI TV show or movie! I watched the show from the beginning. And re-runs hundreds of times! I have a couple of VHS tapes from original broadcasts on CBS! The show cannot be copied or replaced! I believe anything would be a disappointment, and not stand-up to the original! Tom Selleck is Thomas Magnum, John Hillerman is Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Larry Manetti is Rick Wright, and Roger E Mosley is TC! They cannot be replaced! Poor Agatha and Mac are gone! Lt Tanaka, Ice Pick, Carol Baldwin, this is my Magnum,PI, and there is no way to improve it, or do it again! It was/is a once in a lifetime experience, that I will always treasure!

_________________
"pickled egg please"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:41 pm 
Offline
Fleet Admiral

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:46 pm
Posts: 388
MagnumILWU wrote:
I, for one, do not like the idea of a new Magnum, PI TV show or movie! I watched the show from the beginning. And re-runs hundreds of times! I have a couple of VHS tapes from original broadcasts on CBS! The show cannot be copied or replaced! I believe anything would be a disappointment, and not stand-up to the original! Tom Selleck is Thomas Magnum, John Hillerman is Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Larry Manetti is Rick Wright, and Roger E Mosley is TC! They cannot be replaced! Poor Agatha and Mac are gone! Lt Tanaka, Ice Pick, Carol Baldwin, this is my Magnum,PI, and there is no way to improve it, or do it again! It was/is a once in a lifetime experience, that I will always treasure!


when I came to the site I was all gung ho about getting as movie done with original cast only. I've now come to the realization that it can never be the same or as good as it once was......nor would it be given the kind of treatment needed to be a success. This I've accepted. Bottom line is the demogrpahics aren't there to pull it off. A good chunk of Magnum's crowd is gone and what is left is simply not enough for a movie studio to back a tv cast. It's just not a good gamble.

The only chance is to get it done is an A-list actor to carry the torch forward and somehow incorporate Selleck....but even that is thin. Sadly, the best chance of a Magnum movie happening is after Selleck is gone or incapable of reprising the role...........then maybe at that point the nostalgia for Magnum might get a movie done.........but we know it will never capture the magic of the original.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 pm 
Offline
Captain

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 74
Seaver41 wrote:
MagnumILWU wrote:
I, for one, do not like the idea of a new Magnum, PI TV show or movie! I watched the show from the beginning. And re-runs hundreds of times! I have a couple of VHS tapes from original broadcasts on CBS! The show cannot be copied or replaced! I believe anything would be a disappointment, and not stand-up to the original! Tom Selleck is Thomas Magnum, John Hillerman is Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Larry Manetti is Rick Wright, and Roger E Mosley is TC! They cannot be replaced! Poor Agatha and Mac are gone! Lt Tanaka, Ice Pick, Carol Baldwin, this is my Magnum,PI, and there is no way to improve it, or do it again! It was/is a once in a lifetime experience, that I will always treasure!


when I came to the site I was all gung ho about getting as movie done with original cast only. I've now come to the realization that it can never be the same or as good as it once was......nor would it be given the kind of treatment needed to be a success. This I've accepted. Bottom line is the demogrpahics aren't there to pull it off. A good chunk of Magnum's crowd is gone and what is left is simply not enough for a movie studio to back a tv cast. It's just not a good gamble.

The only chance is to get it done is an A-list actor to carry the torch forward and somehow incorporate Selleck....but even that is thin. Sadly, the best chance of a Magnum movie happening is after Selleck is gone or incapable of reprising the role...........then maybe at that point the nostalgia for Magnum might get a movie done.........but we know it will never capture the magic of the original.


I think there is enough interest in the original cast to make a movie or miniseries profitable.

Tom Selleck draws large viewership numbers for Jessie Stone movies and Blue Bloods. There is no reason to think Tom Selleck would not draw even larger numbers for the role that made him famous. If you want to get more younger viewers, pick any 18-25 year old female model or pop star from American Idol/Bachelor to be a guest star, and then put her in a bikini on the beach in Hawaii. A bimbo does not need to be a great actress to get the job done!

I doubt any new actors could satisfy Magnum fans who watched the show when it originally aired on TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:28 pm 
Offline
Fleet Admiral

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 456
Location: Hawaii
I foresee a Magnum PI movie along the lines of the Husky and Starch movie. A slight nod to the original, but with box office star power in place, set in Hawai'i of course... The demographics will always be there.
Plus, seems as if the studios are going down the list of old TV shows to make into moviehouse fare. Seems inevitable.
I for one am neither for nor against it. Because it is not my choice nor do I invest or produce or otherwise have any say in the greenlighting of such a project. But just as with the H50 redux series, I am all for anything that gives kama'aina more work. And a movie production would do this.

And if Ms. Andersen prefers not to allow her estate available for the setting, I nominate the Clarence H. Cooke/Marks' estate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:03 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Australia
MagnumILWU wrote:
I, for one, do not like the idea of a new Magnum, PI TV show or movie! I watched the show from the beginning. And re-runs hundreds of times! I have a couple of VHS tapes from original broadcasts on CBS! The show cannot be copied or replaced! I believe anything would be a disappointment, and not stand-up to the original! Tom Selleck is Thomas Magnum, John Hillerman is Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Larry Manetti is Rick Wright, and Roger E Mosley is TC! They cannot be replaced! Poor Agatha and Mac are gone! Lt Tanaka, Ice Pick, Carol Baldwin, this is my Magnum,PI, and there is no way to improve it, or do it again! It was/is a once in a lifetime experience, that I will always treasure!


I agree, when I heard of Matthew McConaughey being touted as the next TM I decided I wouldnt watch it, ditto with Macy as Higgins. Then I thought no-one could do TM because as you say TS is TM or maybe its vice versa. Anyone else trying to be like Sellect won't work. Likewise with someone trying to do a completely different TM, it will no longer be what made it, and most likely highly degenerative. Selleck was so unique in that role and I get the feeling he was almost being himself thats why it all came so naturally. I could see producers desiring a new TM being like the typical post millenium character - someone who looks rough, is brutal with females, a pseudo hard man.

_________________
St Damien of Molokai - Ora pro nobis!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:59 pm 
Offline
Fleet Admiral

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:46 pm
Posts: 388
I've always thought Gerard Butler could pull ioff the intended role of lighthearted comedy with action...........he's certainly tough enough (300) and has played light comedy roles as well.

Doesn't matter...........any remake will fail like the Miami Vice movie. Borrowing the names and places doesn't make Magnum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:34 pm 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:40 am
Posts: 72
Location: The Netherlands
Totally agree with you Seaver. Man Miami Vice was a BAD movie. The same goes for the A team movie. I hope they never screw up Magnum!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 pm 
Offline
Maniac Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:16 pm
Posts: 1738
Location: Detroit
If you're going to do it, it would have to be with Lily and the brood of the guys. Cameos from the original cast. I actually have a decent idea of how it would play out in my head.

You can't do Magnum as it was, and cannot replace the characters, but you can recapture the spirit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:31 am 
Offline
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm
Posts: 7
Doc Ibold wrote:
If you're going to do it, it would have to be with Lily and the brood of the guys. Cameos from the original cast. I actually have a decent idea of how it would play out in my head.

You can't do Magnum as it was, and cannot replace the characters, but you can recapture the spirit.



I agree. I believe if the right person took on this project, the spirit of the series would carry it. Nobody in the cast is a kid anymore :D . But I shudder to think what Hollywood would do if they replaced a Selleck in the Magnum role. He has to be there in some way, shape or form.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:11 pm 
Offline
Ultimate Magnum PI Fan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:19 pm
Posts: 1982
Location: Flemingo Key
Doc Ibold wrote:
If you're going to do it, it would have to be with Lily and the brood of the guys. Cameos from the original cast. I actually have a decent idea of how it would play out in my head.

You can't do Magnum as it was, and cannot replace the characters, but you can recapture the spirit.


I still think this is one of the best ideas.

_________________
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group