Real Progress Report

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#21 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think there'd be a better chance of a small screen reunion show if Selleck weren't doing so well on other projects.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Steve »

Time is flying by and I am thinking that perhaps the only way an original cast, small screen reunion/story would be green lighted is to incorporate the cast into a two part Hawaii 5-0 episode. Of course Blue Bloods is getting in the way now but I think if they could somehow pull that off the ratings would be record breaking for both the new H 5-0 and create interest in a few MPI shows............

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Seaver41 »

strangely enough, the idea of a parody is about the only thing left that could sell. Think about it, Starsky and Hutch was 35-40 years ago on TV, yet they went with current stars and for fans of the show were the nods throughout the movie.

Fact of the matter is, Magnum is Selleck. This isn't Batman or Sherlock Holmes where the character is bigger than any actor..........the actor made the character and beyond that, a private investigator in Hawaii is not exactly an iconic superhero.

Point is you don't compete with the past, you pay homage to it. The Miami Vice movie didn't understand that.....they tried to plug in new actors to the same roles and it bombed.

The guy to play Magnum would be VINCE VAUGHN

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Coops »

Guys guys guys...I think you're looking at this all wrong. Or at least I think CBS is if that's what they're thinking, like you. Selleck has done nothing but good things for CBS; Magnum, Jesse Stone, Blue Bloods...if ANYTHING his recent TV successes should make CBS WANT to do a Magnum movie. Think about it. They're stupid if they don't. Talk about passing up a golden opportunity.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Seaver41 »

Selleck always refused the idea of small screen

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by No need to know! »

They are doing a new Dallas series next year with a mix of new actors and the old stars Hagman/Duffy. If it goes well, you never know. How old is Hagman? 82?
I still think they can do something with Magnum P.I and the old cast.
A totally new Magnum a la Hawaii five-o? No thanks not for me.
Onion´s extra?

Bathurstfan
Commander

#27 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hi Everyone

With so many fans like us, does anyone have any news of when they will finally make the Magnium P.I. movie? Personally I can not wait.

My preference would be a movie followed up by a new TV series like the current Hawaii Five O. Maybe history repeating itself if the current Hawaii Five O winds up, Magnum the next year or run them at the same time.

Oh well all the best and I would love good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bathurstfan
Commander

#28 Post by Bathurstfan »

Steve wrote:Time is flying by and I am thinking that perhaps the only way an original cast, small screen reunion/story would be green lighted is to incorporate the cast into a two part Hawaii 5-0 episode. Of course Blue Bloods is getting in the way now but I think if they could somehow pull that off the ratings would be record breaking for both the new H 5-0 and create interest in a few MPI shows............

The above is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Seaver41 »

the issue hasn't been about CBS.......it's the studio who owns the show. They were the roadblock when Tom Clancy and Selleck came up with a movie idea.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just saw the 21 Jump Street movie over the weekend and it reinforced to me the fact that any Magnum movie on the big screen will not feature the original cast in their original roles. 21 Jump Street was a parody in many ways but was actually a good modern movie as well. If they had to make a Magnum movie with a new cast and had sufficient nods to the original show including prominent and extended cameos (as Jump Street did) I could live with that.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

HANS
Ensign

#31 Post by HANS »

A Movie with all original Casts must come up in the next years ... could be something like "Born to be wild (2007)" - ?

Bathurstfan
Commander

#32 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hi Guys

With Hawaii Five O doing ok on tv at least in Australia, who thinks they may repeat history and give us a whole new TV series to follow on and continue using facilities they use for Hawaii Five O?

Surely the guys responsible for the movie could have got it off the ground by now, unless the potential for a TV series or other prevents it

I noticed in one episode of Magnum they show the Wo Fat restautant Wo Fat Mc Garretts nemisis was apparently named after, can anyone remember the episode?

What do you all think?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Just saw the 21 Jump Street movie over the weekend and it reinforced to me the fact that any Magnum movie on the big screen will not feature the original cast in their original roles. 21 Jump Street was a parody in many ways but was actually a good modern movie as well. If they had to make a Magnum movie with a new cast and had sufficient nods to the original show including prominent and extended cameos (as Jump Street did) I could live with that.
I think the problem with that idea is that the "nod" we want would be the characters themselves that are being replaced. TM, Rick, TC, Higgins . . . they all have to be replaced, and then how do you include them at the same time?

I still think one of the better ideas was proposed in this forum, with a grown Lily becoming a focus, with the Magnum crew working support. TC's got kids as well, they getting involved in situations with the parents supporting, bailing them out, running something opposite them due some misunderstanding or being played by the bad guy . . . I think that's the way to go.

You get the original cast for we die-hards, and a younger cast, say Jessica Alba and Damon Wayans Jr. or Donald Faison and Gabrielle Union to pull in the younger set and make people (read:studio) feel better about the possibility to proceed with sequels.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Just saw the 21 Jump Street movie over the weekend and it reinforced to me the fact that any Magnum movie on the big screen will not feature the original cast in their original roles. 21 Jump Street was a parody in many ways but was actually a good modern movie as well. If they had to make a Magnum movie with a new cast and had sufficient nods to the original show including prominent and extended cameos (as Jump Street did) I could live with that.
I think the problem with that idea is that the "nod" we want would be the characters themselves that are being replaced. TM, Rick, TC, Higgins . . . they all have to be replaced, and then how do you include them at the same time?

I still think one of the better ideas was proposed in this forum, with a grown Lily becoming a focus, with the Magnum crew working support. TC's got kids as well, they getting involved in situations with the parents supporting, bailing them out, running something opposite them due some misunderstanding or being played by the bad guy . . . I think that's the way to go.

You get the original cast for we die-hards, and a younger cast, say Jessica Alba and Damon Wayans Jr. or Donald Faison and Gabrielle Union to pull in the younger set and make people (read:studio) feel better about the possibility to proceed with sequels.

Yes!!! Or as I have been shouting for about four years, Mila Kunis as Lily............Let's see how Dallas does tonight mixing a young cast with the originals.I'm predicting a hit............

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by erock308 »

I have stated before that a new series was the the best way to go, and the idea would be that Lily is all grown up and following in her fathers foot steps as a p.i.

Hot girl kicking but, living on the estate, driving a new Ferrari and shot in hawaii... Now that's something I think we would all watch... Plus, we could always have a few cameos from original cast members and a lot of story tie-ins to the original show.

Perhaps the show starts with Robin Masters funeral and he leaves everything to Lily. After all Higgigins/Robin would have done that I'm sure ;-)
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."