Magnum The Prequel idea

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

Magnum The Prequel idea

#1 Post by Mavrick »

I know most of the people here want to know what Magnum and the gang has been up too since he has been gone so long, Beleive me I do as well. Like I heard somebody eles say I don't want them to make one movie and be done Yes I am being greedy here my thought is this. Make a movie showing us how Magnum came to be, Like growing up in Norfolk , the relationship with his parents, when did he first discover that inner voice,, Him in boot camp and his naval carreer, his tours in Nam How he found Robin masters to get his job, mean while they could show us certain points of life with the other cast Like Higgings and some his back ground and how he ended up running the estate and Rick the sorta dealings he had to get conections with people like Ice pick and so forth with rest of cast, that would be movie one, Then Have a movie set in the 1980's that would sum up his whole P I carreer, Then the third movie the where is now movie the one we all want to see, If done correctly and in the same vien as the !980's show it might just start a reboot to the tv show too, and maybe we can have Magnum back on prime time with new shows I know lol Dream big or not at all.
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#2 Post by Mavrick »

well just out of curiosity who do all think would make a good magnum as kid and a Teenager?
[img][img]http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a42 ... a_full.jpg[/img][/img]
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by robspace54 »

Well the prequel plot line brought Star Trek back to the big screen, didn't it? I like the prequel IF it has to reboot the whole thing with new actors.

However, ahem, most of the magnum-verse wants to see the one the only Thomas Magnum in a movie!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#4 Post by Mavrick »

Well Yes and No,, It done right Tom Selleck could be in all Three The Start Movie The Middle And The what has he been up to Movie

In the Prequel yes It wd have diffrentpeople playing Magnum as Child Teenager and Young adult, But that don"t mean T S could not be the one narrating the movie,,Or Have T.S. in like he is telling a story to someone Like he is having Flash Backs I agree That T S needs to be Magnum in any movie that might come out

Bathurstfan
Commander

#5 Post by Bathurstfan »

Great idea the prequels

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Seaver41 »

for any prequel.........do what Star Trek did, find an unknown actor who can't be villified for trying to cash in on Magnum franchise. The key is he needs to be a look a like IF there is any hope to use Selleck at all. You can't have some redheaded young Magnum.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

As many of you know, a Star Trek prequel had been rumored and apparently in the works (off and on) for several decades. I'm glad that They waited until the time was ripe -- many of the original cast members were deceased, so it was clearly necessary to recast.

I could raise a few minor quibbles, but they really did it right. Most of the characters were straight from the canon, some of the casting was even better than the original (IMHO), and they used a couple of the original cast members (Leonard Nimoy, of course, and Majel Barrett as the computer voice, sadly for the last time). But the real genius of the Star Trek prequel is that they inserted a history-changing event right at the beginning, so that everything from that point on takes place in an alternative time-line.

This means that they can make as many sequels as they want without being overly concerned about contradicting anything in the original series. Hopefully, they will stick pretty closely to the canon, with just enough deviations to make for some interesting new stories.

Unfortunately, I don't think an alternative time-line would work with Magnum, so the writers would be stuck with the general curse of prequels -- you know how everything is going to turn out, which makes it awfully hard to work up any suspense. Of course, this is somewhat the case with any television series -- you assume that the lead characters will be back next week -- but at least the series writers have a pretty free rein as regards events.
Carol

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Seaver41 »

I think the biggest point to be made is that Star Trek is a HUGE franchise. Magnum was a tv show for 8 seasons and then nothing. There is no legion of fans to fall back on........many have probably died off.

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by wwmd »

Well, we're still here... :wink:

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

... all 719 of us. :?

I suspect there is a way to make a Magnum theatrical/TV movie that would satisfy us diehard old fans as well as the general movie-going / television-watching public -- but I do not think a prequel is it, not at this point. (If Magnum ever gets off the ground again, a prequel might be appropriate later on, after a string of successes.)
Carol

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Magnum The Prequel idea

#11 Post by BWheelz54 »

Thumbs up from me on this creative idea! I have thought that a "prequel" featuring Jonathan Higgins would be cool. Higgins' historic era and background are ripe with possibilities, and I fear a lot of younger people (Oh, my God! I just typed that. Means I'm old now) are losing touch with that history. I would love to see a "prequel" Jonathan Higgins show that's got a bit of that "Indiana Jones" and "James Bond" feel to it. If you could even mix those two together. :higgins: