It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 am 
Maniac Emeritus

Magnum N.I. wrote:
Yes he does, and that's what's holding up the production. Nobody wants him, but they can't make the film without his approval. I don't think he has any legal claim, but the studio fears any bad publicity if he isn't happy. The reason they don't want him is probably because his agent will demand an exorbitant salary for his client and the movie would have to be the highest grossing film of all time for the studio to make what they feel would be an acceptable profit for them. I suspect that's the reason that Quentin Tarantino has cancelled his plans for making Kill Bill III in 2014. Uma agreed to do the film, but probably only in principal. Her agent no doubt demanded a fortune. Bear in mind, that Tarantino only paid David Carradine $250K for both Kill Bill I & II combined. Read "The Kill Bill Diary," by David Carradine.

I would suspect the reason would be that there is a major problem with finding a suitable script that does justice to the series and what it stood for. You can take it the purely comedic route and have Ben Stiller as Rick, Magnum be a one dimensional womanizer and have whomever plays Higgins as a complete jerk who stands in Magnums way. Or you could take it the super gritty route which ignores several humorous aspects of the show that made it what it was. The truth would have to lie somewhere in the middle.

I'm with Conch in that a TV movie would probably be the best route in terms of character exposition. I don't see that happening due to some comments from TS saying he DIDN'T want that to happen. (I may be wrong on that last part)

Last I heard, the guy who did Dodgeball (while a funny movie) was set to helm Big Screen Magnum. Treating it in that vein would be a disaster, and it would turn into a farce.

I think Magnum has a strong enough fan base that if the movie isn't done properly, there will be a bigger backlash than anything TS could say.. And to that point I think he realizes that moreso than the size of the payday. Plus the fact that he treats Magnum more as a reputation than a role.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:27 am 
Fleet Admiral

I would be happy with just a one-off TV movie. A few would be even better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 am 
Fleet Admiral

Stelth wrote:

Agreed.

The possibilities are virtually endless, but unless handled in the proper manor, could be a train wreck going somewhere to happen.

I don't think if any of the original cast members were even remotely invlolved, they'd ever let that happen though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 am 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Doc Ibold wrote:
Magnum N.I. wrote:
Yes he does, and that's what's holding up the production. Nobody wants him, but they can't make the film without his approval. I don't think he has any legal claim, but the studio fears any bad publicity if he isn't happy. The reason they don't want him is probably because his agent will demand an exorbitant salary for his client and the movie would have to be the highest grossing film of all time for the studio to make what they feel would be an acceptable profit for them. I suspect that's the reason that Quentin Tarantino has cancelled his plans for making Kill Bill III in 2014. Uma agreed to do the film, but probably only in principal. Her agent no doubt demanded a fortune. Bear in mind, that Tarantino only paid David Carradine $250K for both Kill Bill I & II combined. Read "The Kill Bill Diary," by David Carradine.

I would suspect the reason would be that there is a major problem with finding a suitable script that does justice to the series and what it stood for. You can take it the purely comedic route and have Ben Stiller as Rick, Magnum be a one dimensional womanizer and have whomever plays Higgins as a complete jerk who stands in Magnums way. Or you could take it the super gritty route which ignores several humorous aspects of the show that made it what it was. The truth would have to lie somewhere in the middle.

I'm with Conch in that a TV movie would probably be the best route in terms of character exposition. I don't see that happening due to some comments from TS saying he DIDN'T want that to happen. (I may be wrong on that last part)

Last I heard, the guy who did Dodgeball (while a funny movie) was set to helm Big Screen Magnum. Treating it in that vein would be a disaster, and it would turn into a farce.

I think Magnum has a strong enough fan base that if the movie isn't done properly, there will be a bigger backlash than anything TS could say.. And to that point I think he realizes that moreso than the size of the payday. Plus the fact that he treats Magnum more as a reputation than a role.

Just my two cents.

The gate keepers won't even look at my script.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 am 
Fleet Admiral

I HATE the Dragnet, Starsky & Hutch, A-Team, Charlie's Angels-type movie adaptations. They all sucked. It would be awful if Magnum P.I. received that kind of treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 am 
Maniac Emeritus

Stelth wrote:
I HATE the Dragnet, Starsky & Hutch, A-Team, Charlie's Angels-type movie adaptations. They all sucked. It would be awful if Magnum P.I. received that kind of treatment.

That's my #1 fear. I mean, I laughed at S & H, but it was more of a spoof than a true homage. Charlie's Angels was a little different becuause it wasn't trying to take itself seriously, ala the A Team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:05 am 
Fleet Admiral

Stelth wrote:

Hi Stelth,
The Rockford Files did that with a older James Garner and they turned out pretty well, though a paunchy Garner was really showing his age by then. Selleck is in much better shape.
An aside - at the National Firearms Museum they have a few Selleck donated guns plus 2 or 3 Magnum pistols Selleck had commisioned. I havent seen all the threads yet so I don't know if this has been brought up. I tried putting the link here but it won't work, but if you go to their online site and write 'sellecks guns" it will pop right up.
I am going to put the image of one of the pistols below, I hope it works and the image is here. Anyway, well worth checking out, it's a beaut weapon:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:20 am 
Fleet Admiral

Hi LnD,

Here is a gun thread from 2009.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1470

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:52 am 
Fleet Admiral

Sam wrote:
Hi LnD,

Here is a gun thread from 2009.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1470

Hi Sam,