Movie Idea?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

John.1962
Commander

Movie Idea?

#1 Post by John.1962 »

I realize there are probably a lot of plot ideas, but for my own edification here is an idea for a plot line (in my storyline John Hillerman is not available).
Here are few things that I consider essential:
1. Original cast
2. Anderson Estate is used

Okay, here we go:
Movie credits roll with traditional music with a narration from Magnum summarizing the last 20 or so years:
1. He had a successful stint in the Navy. He has retired. He has published his book on being a private investigator.
2. Lily has grown and is married. He has a good relationship with her.
3. Magnum lives close to Lily and is not working but enjoying retirement.
4. Magnum lives on the mainland. Has not been to Hawaii since the last episode.
5. He stays in touch with TC (still on islands with successful chopper business - his son flies for him now and he does more office and management) and Rick (still on islands and owns several clubs and is still married.)
6. He has not spoken with Higgins since he left except for an occasional Christmas card.

The movie opens with Magnum sleeping in and the phone ringing. He groggily wakes up and answers. It is TC and he tells Magnum he needs to come to Hawaii. Higgins is ill and doesn't have much time and he wants to speak with Magnum once last time.

Magnum decides to go and has some flashbacks to his relationship with Higgins. We learn that not telling if he was Robin Masters and being evasive had been difficult for Magnum.

Magnum arrives in Hawaii. TC is at the airport to meet him. His luggage does not arrive. He did not make it in time to see Higgins and he passed away (I really do want Higgins in the movie - but only John Hillerman will do! He has retired so this is the only way I would want the movie).

Magnum goes to the estate and TC drops him off and says he will see him later at the club.. Although the lads are second generation from Zeus and Apollo (still have the same names) they still instinctively are hostile towards Magnum. He gets to the guesthouse and is surprised no one has lived there since he did. In fact Higgins had it cleaned and kept up as if he knew Magnum would someday return. Since Magnum's clothes didn't make he goes to the closet - and you guessed it - the 80's shirts are there! He breaks the 4th wall and says something like, "I know what you are thinking, but I needed something to wear."

Magnum needs a car so he goes to the where the cars are and the only one there is - you guessed it again - the 80's Ferrari! So off we go!

There would need to be some kind of case which would draw in TC and Rick like the old days. Along with this would be some loose ends with Higgins. Higgins finished his memoirs and they were published, but with limited success. Robin Masters though took the memoirs and rewrote them into a series of "tawdry" romance novels that were a huge success.

Robin Masters does contact Magnum and ask him to help train a person he has coming to work at the Estate. This person would be younger, expereince in the military, not a reinvention of Magnum - but has some of his traits but more conservative.

Magnum thinks that the new guy is going to be the Major Domo - but he surprsied to learn the new guy will be the head of security. The new guy would break some basic rules at the Estate that are important to Magnum (like changing the settings on the cable TV so Magnum can't watch his baseball game). Magnum would find himself chewing out on a regular basis the new guy while the lads for some reason are warming up to Magnum. The new guy pokes fun at Magnum's age and acts like a know it all. Magnum tries to correct him and attempts to tell him a story about one of his cases. Thenew guy is bored and isn't interested. The climax would be when the new guy dents the Ferrari and Magnum starts to say, "OH MY GOD!", but catches himself. He understands what is happening, for some reason he is starting to show traits Higgins had.

At this time "Robin Masters" shows up at the Estate. Magnum learns that there is not a Robin Masters, but it is a pen name used by several writers that are hired by the Robin Masters company. Higgins was one of these writers so in a sense he was Robin Masters and he wasn't. The leadership of the Robin Masters group wants Magnum to consider running the Estate and becoming one of the writers.

Magnum says he needs time to think about it. He sits at Higgins desk and we hear the "Higgins music". The music fades and Magnum opens a drawer and there is a letter addressed to him from Higgins. Higgins tells him that Magnum meant as much to him as any of the lads he served with during his military career. He asks that Magnum take the role of running the Estate, taking care of the lads, etc.. Then Higgins goes off on a story which Magnum scans over without reading (This reminds me of the time...). The letter is signed with a P.S. to not abuse his priveleges with the wine cellar, tennis courts, etc.. and not to reveal the truth about Robin Masters.

Magnum is pondering this when he hears some commotion outside. The dogs are barking and there is yelling. He looks out the window and sees the new guy running for his life with the lads right behind him and chase him into a tree. Magnum calls the dogs off and walks over to the tree, "Hi guy, out for a little exercise?" The new guy climbs down and is yelling about the dogs. Magnum says, "When I was your age I could outrun the dogs" (and gives his smile). The new guy catches on to what Magnum is thinking, "No Magnum, you wouldn't!" The new guy tears off running, Magnum looks at the camera smiling, "Zeus..Apollo..Attack!". Freeze frame and we are left for a sequel!

Sorry this is long - hopefully I haven't borken the Magnum canon!

bigdave
Ensign

MPI movie idea

#2 Post by bigdave »

extensive! have you considered writing a script? Celtex is a great beginner program.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by robspace54 »

That is a really intersesting idea! Can you put some more flesh onto the bones?

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

John.1962
Commander

Thanks!

#4 Post by John.1962 »

I just downloaded Celtex last night and spent time reading how to write a screenplay. I've decided to go ahead and write it (enjoying the process). I also read up on screenplays - they have a language of their own!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by robspace54 »

Do you need to teach yourself to write a screenplay to put the story on paper?

You could write it out as a short story, if that would save time and be easier.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.