I don't want to get hopes up . . .

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

I don't want to get hopes up . . .

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

But I just heard in passing, on WPLJ radio in New York, something about a Magnum reunion/movie featuring Selleck.

I had just switched over my internet feed at 9:00 AM, so I missed a part of the conversation, but I definately heard part of that. They also referenced the Las Vegas Magnum reunion they had. They continued talking about Selleck, what a good guy he is and little about the Jesse Stone movies.

I hope someone else heard more?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Let's hope this had legs! That would be awesome!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

A friend told me this;

Saw it last night on TMZ. There is a TV Land special awards show that is going to air with Magnum cast. Talk came up again about a reunion movie--Selleck says if it is written right he will do it!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sounds like nothing new. I wish someone would make it happen, but I don't think we are going to see it! Darn!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

They are still about 10 years late. This movie should have been made in the mid to late 90s with the original cast. But all they can do now is use the originals as best as they can. Let's hope they get off of their a@& and make the movie...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree. Higgins is out, and most of the regulars with smaller roles would be out as well. Too bad we couldn't have had a couple tv movies in the 90's.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#7 Post by Agatha »

I just wonder if the popularity of Jesse Stone has Hollywood re-thinking Tom's fan appeal and if MAYBE they'll be willing to go for a reunion movie after all!! Will be interested to hear what is said in these new interviews...although I think it's pretty clear that none of "our" guys have any say. But maybe they know something now...

Hoping...hoping...hoping...

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I do wish they realize that a Magnum with the original cast would be far surperior, and much more popular, than one with a new cast.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#9 Post by N1095A »

Question. Would you rather see a MPI movie with just Selleck and not the other cast members, A whole new cast, or no movie at all?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by lutherhgillis »

N,

I am a diehard. I appreciate accuracy, consistency, and talent. A Magnum PI movie without Selleck and the others would not be an MPI movie but a giant shark being jumped for the sake of bringing in a few bucks. Make a movie about a PI in Hawaii and call it something else but TS is Magnum and there will never be another.

Universal missed their opportunity. They should have made the movie in about 1995 with the entire big 4 returning and several of the other semi regulars. Now the bird has flown. The best they could do now is to have TM, TC, and Rick be background figures giving advice to a younger set of action characters while they try to grasp the thin thread of credibility being maintained...

Peace

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

If we can't have Selleck, Mosely, and Manetti all together I don't think there is any form of a Magnum movie I'd want to see.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

To answer Mike's question:

No, I don't want it with only TS. If LM and REM aren't included, I'd rather have no movie. But I seriously doubt TS would do it without them either!!! We've learned he'll do about anything for money, but I do NOT see him doing anything MPI-related without LM and REM. I think he would draw the line there.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#13 Post by Agatha »

I have to disagree luther. I think Tom and Roger and Larry are still very capable of taking the lead in an action movie. Maybe because I'm old...I think "age and experience wins out over youth and enthusiasm every time!"

Yes, it would have been better if they'd done it ten years ago. (Then we would be waiting for the second Magnum movie!) But I don't think you should sell our guys short!! Look how effective Jesse Stone is...and he's not a young whippersnapper either!! In fact, he's the same age as Thomas Magnum! :wink:

I think that Magnum PI IS Tom and Roger and Larry and John. I won't see a movie that doesn't have as many of our guys as are willing!

:)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by lutherhgillis »

Tom is in great shape and could pull it off. Roger is almost 70! Larry is fat.

Don't let nostalgic feelings cloud your common sense. The original cast is past its prime whether we would like to admit it or not. No one except the most loyal fans would pay top dollar to see the old guys play the lead in a big screen movie.

I think the movie wants to draw millions of viewers not dozens. Just my $0.02 :wink:

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#15 Post by Agatha »

Sigh!

:(