I don't want to get hopes up . . .

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Carmen
MPI

#16 Post by Carmen »

Tom is in great shape and could pull it off. Roger is almost 70! Larry is fat.

Don't let nostalgic feelings cloud your common sense. The original cast is past its prime whether we would like to admit it or not

Luther, why do you have to be so realistic?! :wink:

Oh, btw there are some BS movies with Tommy Lee Jones, who was born in 1946, as 'Space Cowboys' or 'Men in Black' , I guess there are more 'older' actors who did some big screen movies, just can`t remember more names...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

HiHo
Commander

#17 Post by HiHo »

I can’t believe you guys aren’t making a bigger deal about the fact that it was McConaughey who presented the award. Not a mere coincidence. Expect an announcement soon that he’s Magnum….
"I know what you're thinking..."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#18 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

You could be right HiHo. We'll see what happens with this.

PhatCat
Admiral

#19 Post by PhatCat »

HiHo wrote:I can’t believe you guys aren’t making a bigger deal about the fact that it was McConaughey who presented the award. Not a mere coincidence. Expect an announcement soon that he’s Magnum….
You're right. That was not by chance.

Keep crossing your fingers.

HiHo
Commander

#20 Post by HiHo »

I know a lot of people put him down, but they could do far worse for Magnum (Ben Affleck, Nic Cage!?...yikes!)

"I know what you're thinking..."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#21 Post by Agatha »

Thanks for the "HoHum" pictures, HiHo! Sorry, but the boy just doesn't make my motor race!

You may be right and Matthew McConaughey may play the Magnum role in a Magnum PI movie but Matthew McConaughey is NOT Magnum! Tom Selleck is Magnum!

Yes...you're probably right. I'm a stubborn old broad!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

I agree with Agatha that the original four are the only ones who can play thise parts. Unfortunately, to have them play the same parts as sexigenarians and septagenarians would be silly. (I hope I spelled those correctly)

To make a MP movie with other actors would be a jump...

Carmen,

I am realistic because chasing windmills yields nothing but disillusionment. :wink: It would be great if 2 + 2 = 5 but it ain't that way, baby!

Do you think people besides us would pay $20 to see 4 old farts play the lead roles in a major motion picture about a carefree PI in Hawaii who tries to live like a 30 year old? I don't think so either... :cry:

But then again, what the heck do I know? I'm just a gum shoe from St Louie...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#23 Post by Agatha »

luther said..."Do you think people besides us would pay $20 to see 4 old farts play the lead roles in a major motion picture about a carefree PI in Hawaii who tries to live like a 30 year old?"

Two things: 1) Maybe this is where expectations go in different directions, luther.

The ORIGINAL premise was a carefree PI in Hawaii who tries to live like a 30-year-old. After all these years...and after 8 seasons of that premise...the movie would NOT be about a carefree PI in Hawaii who tries to live like a 30-year-old. It would be about re-uniting that formerly carefree PI with the friends that were part of his life back then...and some kind of a situation that would allow them to make things right...again...and get the bad guys...again...and work together as a team...again. I still say that age and experience wins out over youth and enthusiasum every time!! And that just because the "action" wouldn't be as physical or as extreme, doesn't mean that our guys can't still get the job done!

2) $20 for a movie???? Has it been THAT long since I've gone to a movie????

:)

PS - 2 + 2 doesn't equal 5? Hmmmmm. :wink:

PS again - I'd be "beholden" if one of you nice people would give me a "box" lesson. :)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

I appreciate what you are saying Ag but realistically, people in general will not go to a nostalgia fest built around Magnum PI and the geriatric years.

Hollywood makes movies to sell tickets, lots of tickets. A MPI movie made today would be a blow up, shoot up, and sex up deal. Not a geratol fest.

Let's face it. Time has marched on since MPI went into moth balls. That is the shear, honest truth. What we would like to see is just not realistic. There are only a few dozen of us at best... Maybe James will fund the budget for a MPI reunion movie? :wink:

Peace
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

The only chance the orginal cast has is with the small screen. Big screen will never happen with the O.C. (for reasons pointed out by Luther and others). The success of Jesse Stone should be enough to convince "the suits" that a TV movie is viable, and will rake in some advertising dollars!

The big unknown for me is - is it possible to have a big screen release (with a new cast) AND a small screen release with the original cast?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#26 Post by Agatha »

I know, luther...I know you're right! I just don't WANT you to be right!! :(

And James...you have a point, too. If they do a big screen Magnum, even I can see that a TV Magnum movie would seem like "too many" Magnum movies.

So HOW are we going to get our guys together in SOME kind of a reunion show?

Sigh...

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

9 words...

#27 Post by N1095A »

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#28 Post by Agatha »

What about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, N1095A?

:?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#29 Post by ConchRepublican »

HiHo wrote:I know a lot of people put him down, but they could do far worse for Magnum (Ben Affleck, Nic Cage!?...yikes!)

I agree. Of all the names I've heard, if they are going to "modernize" the franchise/name, he's got the most possibilities.

First, I like him.

Second, I think he's talented. He came to fame not as a beach bum slacker wannabe Woody Harrelson type, but in a serious lead role in A Time to Kill (great book, BTW). I think he has the range to pull off the Magnum slack while being serious as well.

Clooney, Cage, Affleck, they all had the wrong smarmy vibe. He just might be able to pull it off. Felt that way first time I heard it.

Good connection to make HiHo about the torch passing. Don't know how I missed it. I guess i got caught up in the possibility.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Steve »

I say if not the original cast I could see doing far worse that picking Matthew Mcconaughey. The only big drawback I see is that it has become an inside joke that he seems to find the need to take his shirt off in every movie (ever see Matt Damon's hilarious impression of McConaughey talking to a director about this being a great spot in the movie to take his shirt off)....I still like the guy and I also like George Clooney, but I keep saying use the original cast and pick a great twenty-something actress to play Lily and write a script with Lily living in the guest house, taking care of Higgins and the originals all come back to save some type of predicament she is in.Wala..You have the originals for us fans and a hot draw twenty-something actress (Jessica Alba, Mila Kunis?) to appease the younger demographic.........