More from Tom RE: Movie

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steadylads
Ensign

#11 Post by steadylads »

I was recently in Las Vegas attending a collectors show. I happened to see Mr Selleck there. Very nice man!! I asked him about the movie and if he was going to be in it. Sadly, he said they aren't going to do the movie.

I hope this situation changes and I hope he could play the role. He still looks plenty fit. Maybe a reunion show could still be done some day with the original cast. I hope so.
Steady Lads

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Seaver41 »

so it sounds dead...........or at least until the point Selleck is incapable of pulling it off even in the eyes of the fans. His Jesse Stone movies only add ammo to the argument he can do it. They'll have to wait until the original actors are either dead or in a retirement home.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by robspace54 »

Tom Selleck is 64 (born 1945)

Jonathan Hillerman is 77 (born 1932) and it is claimed he has retired. "Higgins" was "born" in 1918 which would make the character 91!

Larry Manetti is 62 (born 1947)

Roger Mosley is 71 (born 1938)

In 1988 at the end of the shows run TS was 43. But you never know. It seems like the door has closed, doesn't it? :-/

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Danno »

As much as I wish it wouldn't happen this way, I think if a movie is made it won't be with the original cast. The new A-Team movie sets this in stone for me. Time to move on. : (
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#15 Post by Italian Ice »

I wouldn't mind so much at this point no matter what. It would be nice to make it official at least somehow if there won't be an original cast movie. If there will be a new cast, at least let us know. It's a common theme these days for all of the shows in that era. Whether they make a movie (A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard etc) or a continuation series (Knight Rider), I would be at least somewhat satisfied.

One thing I wish the cast would do is at least hold a reunion press conference. The cast of Greatest American Hero did it recently at Comic Con in their works to revive the show (and they're making a movie and an animated internet series). I've posted the short interview on the thread under "other tv shows" if anyone wants to take a quick look. It's something like THAT I wish I could see the 4 main characters do, just to say "hello" to all of us...wouldn't you agree?
Last edited by Italian Ice on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Danno »

The 30th anniversary of the shows premiere could be a good excuse for a press conference!
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by lutherhgillis »

Robspace,

You nailed it. The time has passed and the ship has sailed. Universal missed a huge opportunity. The mid to late 90s would have been perfect for a movie. MPI was still huge in syndication at that time and the actors were still in great shape.

Selleck is still in great shape and Mosley appears to be as well. Manetti is fat and Hillerman is older than dirt. Oh well, we still have the DVDs of the show...

LHG
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by robspace54 »

Reported on MSNBC Entertainment page that "The Rockford Files" will be getting a reboot on TV. Dermot Mulroney will play Jim Rockford.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35642815/ns ... elevision/

So maybe like Monty Python "I'm not dead yet!" - says Thomas Magnum
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

I recognize the name. I recognize the face. For the life of me though, I don't think I've ever seen him in anything. My first thought was, "he's too young"! A quick check on the IMDb reveals though that he is 47!

I'll be watching, that's for sure.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Wonder who'll be the new Lance White?

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MACattack »

Matthew Fox from LOST?
I just don't give a damn!

Buck
Captain

#22 Post by Buck »

MACattack wrote:Matthew Fox from LOST?
EXCELLENT PICK!!!!

Matthew Fox would make a great new Magnum. He is probably one of the few that could capture the younger years of Magnum.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

Buck wrote:
EXCELLENT PICK!!!!

Matthew Fox would make a great new Magnum. He is probably one of the few that could capture the younger years of Magnum.
Where's that vomit spewing emoticon? Sorry . . but I don't think Matthew has the "lightness" needed to be Magnum. He's good on LOST, but I don't think he has the range.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Buck
Captain

#24 Post by Buck »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Buck wrote:
EXCELLENT PICK!!!!

Where's that vomit spewing emoticon? Sorry . . but I don't think Matthew has the "lightness" needed to be Magnum. He's good on LOST, but I don't think he has the range.
I have never seen Lost, but I watched Party of Five when it was on. Matthew has a light side much like TS had in the early years.

PatBe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by PatBe »

I'm quite sure a movie could be great if Studios don't want to make a new movie, with new cast, new ferrari, new shoppers, and a full bunch of special effects..
If they take the old crew, do a story with it, including the fact that the time have go, and that they are now old (plenty of things can be imagined in a plot/tagline, if they don't want to do a "new" magnum with "new" people), it could be a big success.
2 generations now know and like Magnum, so, there is a real market.
Except if they give us a bad movie remake of a good tv show as was the "Wild Wildd West", for instance