More from Tom RE: Movie

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Danno »

The 30th anniversary of the shows premiere could be a good excuse for a press conference!
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by lutherhgillis »

Robspace,

You nailed it. The time has passed and the ship has sailed. Universal missed a huge opportunity. The mid to late 90s would have been perfect for a movie. MPI was still huge in syndication at that time and the actors were still in great shape.

Selleck is still in great shape and Mosley appears to be as well. Manetti is fat and Hillerman is older than dirt. Oh well, we still have the DVDs of the show...

LHG
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by robspace54 »

Reported on MSNBC Entertainment page that "The Rockford Files" will be getting a reboot on TV. Dermot Mulroney will play Jim Rockford.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35642815/ns ... elevision/

So maybe like Monty Python "I'm not dead yet!" - says Thomas Magnum
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

I recognize the name. I recognize the face. For the life of me though, I don't think I've ever seen him in anything. My first thought was, "he's too young"! A quick check on the IMDb reveals though that he is 47!

I'll be watching, that's for sure.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Wonder who'll be the new Lance White?

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MACattack »

Matthew Fox from LOST?
I just don't give a damn!

Buck
Captain

#22 Post by Buck »

MACattack wrote:Matthew Fox from LOST?
EXCELLENT PICK!!!!

Matthew Fox would make a great new Magnum. He is probably one of the few that could capture the younger years of Magnum.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

Buck wrote:
EXCELLENT PICK!!!!

Matthew Fox would make a great new Magnum. He is probably one of the few that could capture the younger years of Magnum.
Where's that vomit spewing emoticon? Sorry . . but I don't think Matthew has the "lightness" needed to be Magnum. He's good on LOST, but I don't think he has the range.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Buck
Captain

#24 Post by Buck »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Buck wrote:
EXCELLENT PICK!!!!

Where's that vomit spewing emoticon? Sorry . . but I don't think Matthew has the "lightness" needed to be Magnum. He's good on LOST, but I don't think he has the range.
I have never seen Lost, but I watched Party of Five when it was on. Matthew has a light side much like TS had in the early years.

PatBe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by PatBe »

I'm quite sure a movie could be great if Studios don't want to make a new movie, with new cast, new ferrari, new shoppers, and a full bunch of special effects..
If they take the old crew, do a story with it, including the fact that the time have go, and that they are now old (plenty of things can be imagined in a plot/tagline, if they don't want to do a "new" magnum with "new" people), it could be a big success.
2 generations now know and like Magnum, so, there is a real market.
Except if they give us a bad movie remake of a good tv show as was the "Wild Wildd West", for instance

Sullivan Magnum
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: More from Tom RE: Movie

#26 Post by Sullivan Magnum »

N1095A wrote:What sounds like part of a TS Phone interview regarding the movie.
http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/2009/0 ... -pi-movie/
I am relatively new to the site, and just learning my way around it.

I'm super glad I came across this phone interview with Tom talking about the Magnum P.I. Movie. I also loved the Star Trek analogy.

Personally, what I would love to see in the Magnum P.I. Movie is if they did what J.J. Abrahms did with his Star Trek Movie.

Reboot the franchise by casting younger versions of the original cast, along with modern day versions. Eg. Tom, Larry, Roger, and John as they are today.

STAR TREK (2009) to me was brilliant because it basically took Gene Rodenberry's original vision and updated it from the 1960's to today's technology and told the story of how they all came together.

Zachary Quinto's and Karl Urban's performances were stand out performances in the way that they captured the spirit/essence of the character throughout the TV Series by Leonard Nimoy and Deforrest Kelley.

My ultimate dream would be for the Movie to focus on the events that were touched on in Season 3's, "Did You See The Sunrise," when TM & TC are POW's and are tortured by Ivan and that it ends with them all ending up in Hawaii.

Bathurstfan
Commander

#27 Post by Bathurstfan »

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Seaver41 »

one problem with the plot idea on 2nd link.........Lily wasn't Asian......she's French/American. That would need a STRONG female to carry that weight...........Angelina Jolie? She's tough enough. A younger Sandra Bullock would have worked.....she has the wit.