reunion show

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

the apprentice
Lieutenant Commander

reunion show

#1 Post by the apprentice »

if the og cast will not be in the film, at least i would hope they would do a reunion show , for us diehard fans.
magnum, i do say

the apprentice
Lieutenant Commander

#2 Post by the apprentice »

how can the producers ignore that magnum p.i was the highest rated show in its heyday, and jesse stone beats out the competition in the rateings? its beyond me....
magnum, i do say

the apprentice
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by the apprentice »

no thoughts :( surely if the o.g cast is not in a movie , they can grace us with a reunion....somebody needs to contact t.selleck...
magnum, i do say

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think these guys will do want they want despte what Magnum fans want. It seems like they are going after a younger demographic not the Magnum fan base.

Carmen
MPI

#5 Post by Carmen »

Hey, the youngest Magnum fan in my family is 4 years old!! And my nearly 19 year old son would def. pay for watching a movie with the original cast. Okay, maybe we aren`t representative :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Seaver41 »

tv might be more realistic..................if say an average movie ticket is $8.00..........do you realize how many need to be sold to make the movie a worthwhile venture? Not knowing the production costs......let's just say a $50,000,000 box office take (gross)for the movie would put them in the black.....and that might not be enough........and to get that you need roughly 6.25 million customers to get it. What was the average viewership each week? Can the fanbase alone support a movie?

let's say they need a gross intake of $100 million at the box office.....now you're talking double digit millions in customers. Can that be done?

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#7 Post by Agatha »

My personal opinion is that making movies in this country has deteriorated to "scam" levels...like a lot of things these days. I'd RATHER see a TV movie of the same caliber as the Jesse Stone movies than have ANYBODY pay what it costs to make a "real" movie!

Does anybody know how much the "rights" cost? Maybe if we each kicked in a dollar...

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
My personal opinion is that making movies in this country has deteriorated to "scam" levels
I think you may be on to something, Agatha. I hate to be a buzz-kill, but I think that what you stated coupled with the climate in Hollywood regarding "older" stars, the possibility of getting a Magnum anything made is nearly impossible. With the exception of Harrison Ford, Sean Connery and Michael Caine, very few male stars have a long career in Hollywood because of the "youth factor." I'm sure that the only reason TS isn't on TV more is because of his conservative politics and by Hollywood standards, he's considered a "has-been" in many circles. (He's not a has-been in MY circle!!) Sorry to burst anyone's bubble...but it's JMHO!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#9 Post by Agatha »

And my point is...if he's not a has-been in your circle...or mine...or the many people who just plain like Tom Selleck and the many, many people watch Jesse Stone movies...WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY LISTEN TO US???

I think you're right...there's probably not much chance that we'll have a Magnum movie starring the original cast (or as much of it as is willing). And I think you're right that it must be politics...because there are A LOT of movies that are made and don't turn out to be blockbusters. I can't believe that a Magnum reunion movie would make any less money than some of those.

But I hate to give up. I hate to stop hoping...for SOMETHING. Maybe we need to hope that someone will write a screen play that ISN'T Magnum...but is about four older men who have been friends for a long time and shared lots of experiences...who get together after many years and share another experience. Maybe the older man has died and the other three are re-uniting at his funeral....

:wink:

And maybe this TV movie will star Tom Selleck, Roger E Mosley and Larry Manetti!!!

:D

And then Hollywood can take their rights to Magnum and...and...and...STUFF 'em!!

:lol:

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
And then Hollywood can take their rights to Magnum and...and...and...STUFF 'em!!
Woohoo!!! My sentiments exactly!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#11 Post by Agatha »

8)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Seaver41 »

Agatha wrote:And my point is...if he's not a has-been in your circle...or mine...or the many people who just plain like Tom Selleck and the many, many people watch Jesse Stone movies...WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY LISTEN TO US???

:lol:
for one..........people don't pay to watch Jesse Stone..........so you have to bring in the fanbase and new viewers in order to make it worthwhile. Odds are against it.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#13 Post by Agatha »

I know, Seaver41, but "worthwhile" is in the eye of the beholder. People spend LOTS of money making movies that I don't enjoy. It's hard for me to accept that a Magnum reunion show would earn...or lose...any more...or less...money than some of those movies. But I'm sure you're right about odds being against it.

And there can't even be a TV Magnum reunion movie unless whoever has the rights decides to do that, right? So I'm pinning my hopes on a TWS production of a well-written TV movie "about four older men who have been friends for a long time and shared lots of experiences....."

I just CAN'T give up on the idea of getting them back together again.

PS - I didn't give up on the Beatles either...until John was killed!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Steve »

I have said it before and I will say it again. If Hollywood is worried about the "older" demographics of the original cast, the fan base and the ticket buyers, concentrate on casting and marketing the Lily character. Lily would be in her mid to late twenties so cast her with a hot draw actress (Jessica Alba, Mila Kunis, well you get the point). Have Lily living the "Magnum" lifestyle in the guesthouse, taking care of an aging and ailing Higgins when some type of Col. Ki or Ivan crisis takes place, bringing back the originals to save the day........Just my idea on getting the original cast into a big screen movie project..........

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#15 Post by Agatha »

Another good idea, Steve! I feel better just realizing that there ARE possibilities! And that what WE want isn't necessarily in the hands of people who apparently don't "get it"!

Hoping...hoping...hoping...