Suggestion for the Higgins role

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#16 Post by Stelth »

Buck wrote:
wind4fuel wrote:I think you could just use John Hillermans voice narrating the movie. :?:
I would rather have 50 seconds of Hillerman than 50 minutes of anyone else. He is Higgins. Nobody else will do.
+1

I'd rather NOT see a new Magnum project if it is recast. In fact, if they made one with new actors I wouldn't see it.

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Suggestion for the Higgins role

#17 Post by BWheelz54 »

I think a couple of ideas for a recast Higgins for a movie are terrific ones. I really like the idea of Michael Palin playing Higgins' role in a movie. That actor has a real sense of history. I loved the travel show he used to do. I think Michael Palin would really nail that sense of Higgins as a kinda "sad, old warrior looking back at what's left of the old British empire" - if that makes sense to anyone but me. Just think that Mr. Palin would nail it if given a mustache. And like Hillerman, who got his start in a comedic background, Mr. Palin first cut his test with comedic Monty Python - so I think that would translate very well. Now that I think of it, I have a very enjoyable novel written by Mr. Palin titled "Mr Hemingway's Chair," and so maybe that experience as an author would work great if we want to pursue the elements of the writing life that were so prevalent in the television show. :higgins:

Though I really dig the idea of Mr. Palin playing the role in a movie, I must say that I feel nobody new gets to play the parts on any television kind of return or reunion. As far as I am concerned, any ideas for any possible recasting are only for a movie idea. These posts continue to be terrific. Continue to be thrilled to be a part of this community!

LutherGillis
Ensign

#18 Post by LutherGillis »

I nominate John Hodgman for the role. He bears a striking resemblance, and he has a naturally posh air about him. He even mentioned the possibility in his comedy special "Ragnarok".Image

Robert
Lieutenant

#19 Post by Robert »

When the Ben Afflick rumours were in full swing, the first thought in my head was "Great, Who's going to play Higgins, Tim Curry?"

MiniMag
Lieutenant

#20 Post by MiniMag »

In my idea for the re-make of the television series, the role of Higgins is once again played by John Hillerman. Upon the death of Robin Masters, the estate is left to Higgins, but under one stipulation-he continues to write novels on behalf of Robin. This task, much like it did for Robin, consumes a lot of Higgin's time. So, again, much like Robin, Higgins is rarely seen...locked away on the second floor of the estate in his office adjacent to his bedroom. A walk down the hallway and you can hear through the door, Higgins tapping away on his typewriter fulfilling Robin's last wish. And possibly working on his memoir, which has yet to be published.

So, you wonder.....if the short Sergeant Major is busy writing, who runs the estate? Why, that would be Higgin's niece, recently retired from a Catholic boarding school in England, and every bit as brash and regimented as the Sergeant Major himself.