Tom wants to be Magnum again?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Tom wants to be Magnum again?

#16 Post by Doc Ibold »

Stelth wrote:I HATE the Dragnet, Starsky & Hutch, A-Team, Charlie's Angels-type movie adaptations. They all sucked. It would be awful if Magnum P.I. received that kind of treatment.
That's my #1 fear. I mean, I laughed at S & H, but it was more of a spoof than a true homage. Charlie's Angels was a little different becuause it wasn't trying to take itself seriously, ala the A Team.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Stelth wrote:I would be happy with just a one-off TV movie. A few would be even better.
Hi Stelth,
The Rockford Files did that with a older James Garner and they turned out pretty well, though a paunchy Garner was really showing his age by then. Selleck is in much better shape.
An aside - at the National Firearms Museum they have a few Selleck donated guns plus 2 or 3 Magnum pistols Selleck had commisioned. I havent seen all the threads yet so I don't know if this has been brought up. I tried putting the link here but it won't work, but if you go to their online site and write 'sellecks guns" it will pop right up.
I am going to put the image of one of the pistols below, I hope it works and the image is here. Anyway, well worth checking out, it's a beaut weapon:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Sam »

Hi LnD,

Here is a gun thread from 2009.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1470

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Sam wrote:Hi LnD,

Here is a gun thread from 2009.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1470
Hi Sam,
Thank you for the heads up.
Mike

"May you live to be 100 years old and the last voice you hear is mine"
Irish Toast

Magnum N.I.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#20 Post by Magnum N.I. »

false alarm

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#21 Post by marlboro »

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#22 Post by ConchRepublican »

Magnum N.I. wrote:Yes he does, and that's what's holding up the production. Nobody wants him, but they can't make the film without his approval. I don't think he has any legal claim, but the studio fears any bad publicity if he isn't happy. The reason they don't want him is probably because his agent will demand an exorbitant salary for his client and the movie would have to be the highest grossing film of all time for the studio to make what they feel would be an acceptable profit for them. I suspect that's the reason that Quentin Tarantino has cancelled his plans for making Kill Bill III in 2014. Uma agreed to do the film, but probably only in principal. Her agent no doubt demanded a fortune. Bear in mind, that Tarantino only paid David Carradine $250K for both Kill Bill I & II combined. Read "The Kill Bill Diary," by David Carradine.
Who else was paying David Carradine anything?

I got the sense it was a bit of a pity/hero casting ...
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:Image
That's .......disturbing ......
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Magnum's moustache
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by Magnum's moustache »

Stelth wrote:I HATE the Dragnet, Starsky & Hutch, A-Team, Charlie's Angels-type movie adaptations. They all sucked. It would be awful if Magnum P.I. received that kind of treatment.
Totally agree on this. I think the movie would be very very disappointing.
Higgins: Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
Magnum: Of course I am.
Higgins: Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.

{Unless you treat failure as part of the journey, you're never going to get anywhere.} ~ Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Magnum's moustache wrote:
Totally agree on this. I think the movie would be very very disappointing.
Hi Guys,
I generally agree with the above, though I have to disagree in regards to the 3 Dragnet movies. The 1954 Dragnet is a pretty darn good flick, with Jack Webb as Friday and Ben Alexander as his partner. The late 1960's version with Webb and Harry Morgan wasn't bad at all, though I'm not sure if it was a tv movie or theatrical release.
The Tom Hanks 1987 Dragnet is a send up that for the first hour is a lot of fun but then loses its way.
Another tv series to film effort that worked well was The Fugitive, also The Addams Family.
McHales Navy spawned 2 post series films that were pretty funny, though mostly with the original cast which would not be the case with a Magnum movie.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
marlboro wrote:Image
That's .......disturbing ......

Whoa nelly!!!!.......Magic Magnum/Reagan XXL

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by MHTR »

Stelth wrote:
I HATE the Dragnet, . . . . type movie adaptations.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
The Tom Hanks 1987 Dragnet is a send up that for the first hour is a lot of fun but then loses its way.
I think it was okay. It can't really be compared to the TV show (I'm only familiar with the 60s/70s version of the show). It was written as a parody and as such it came across quite well. (I think parodies are a very big compliment; ask any musician who's had their stuff parodied by Weird Al Yankovic and I'd think they'd agree.) Although, I did not like the ending much. Very anticlimactic.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Stelth »

I was only referring to the Dragnet movie with Tom Hanks. Anything with Jack Webb is good stuff AFAIC

geoff baker
Ensign

#29 Post by geoff baker »

G'Day, I am a diehard MPI fan, have been for years. I have all of the episodes on hard drive and regularly watch them as i work in Papua New Guinea as a FIFO on night duty so have plenty of time on my hands, but live in Aussie.
Re the remake of MPI i believe it would not succeed with out TS, he has aged fantastically and could still pull it off with perhaps his daughter as his side kick.
As classic cars are all the go now why not have his Ferrari rebuilt as a classic and he still then uses it, i drive a 1979 Camaro so why not hey. My wife and i will be in Honolulu in April and would love to catch up with some Magnum Maniacs.
Cheers
Geoff Baker.