Surprised

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Surprised

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Newish to the board although have posted a bit.

Was surprised so many people are receptive to the reboot.

Thought a lot more Magnum fans would be upset.

I still don't know if I'm gonna watch it. And if I do, how I will react.

Just feels so wrong anyone else being called 'Thomas' or 'Magnum' in that roll.

I am very interested in people's takes once it airs though.

P.S. I'll probably break down and watch the pilot.
Last edited by T.Q. on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

Re: Surprised

#2 Post by Core 4 »

T.Q. wrote:Newish to the board although have posted a bit.

Was surprised so many people are receptive to the reboot.

Thought a lot more Magnum fans would be upset.
Most of the time the reebot was criticized strongly here. But I think that recently people have noticed that most things from the original will be preserved, besides the creator of the reebot is a fan of the original, so it's a bit more positive.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#3 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Still very against it haha If it had been done as a sequel series it would have been great but redoing old shows just proves that original ideas in television are impossible to come by. Everyone seems to like Lenkov because he's a fan of the original but I'm unconvinced and like Tom Selleck himself said Magnum PI is timeless and the original can still be watched with relevance today.
That reminds me of the time....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#4 Post by marlboro »

FWIW, I'm completely pessimistic about the reboot. If enough of the older fans tell me the new one is great, I might eventually check it out.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I am not enthused about a reboot at all. The whole thing makes me want to barf. :(

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

My mother always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, say it anyway!"

I have decided not to listen to my mom. :-)

I made my feelings known early on and since have tried to steer clear of the conversation since I doubt I'd offer anything constructive.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by T.Q. »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I am not enthused about a reboot at all. The whole thing makes me want to barf. :(
I just feel Magnum too iconic.

Would be like doing a new M*A*S*H with new Hawkeye or whatever.

Some shouldn’t be touched.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Core 4 »

T.Q. wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I am not enthused about a reboot at all. The whole thing makes me want to barf. :(

You know fans of originals of Hawaii Five-O thought the same way. And the reebot is the big hit. On the days should be announced season 9. You can not live only in the past. Not every reebot is bad. After all, the original will not be removed. This is just new take on Magnum P.I. If you do not like it, you still have the original series.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

Core 4 wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

You know fans of originals of Hawaii Five-O thought the same way. And the reebot is the big hit. On the days should be announced season 9. You can not live only in the past. Not every reebot is bad. After all, the original will not be removed. This is just new take on Magnum P.I. If you do not like it, you still have the original series.
Well, not here to argue. Was probably a lot of that early on.

Just learned of the reboot last week.

Just my personal feelings about it. Others may not agree.

Can’t speak for original H50 as I don’t remember it. Too young.

However, I have never heard it impacted young boys in the 70s the way Magnum did in the 80s.

Started watching the series again when John Hillerman died.

Told my wife ‘even episodes I think are cheesy I watch for the interactions (scenes) between Magnum, Higgins, Rick and T.C. which always made each episode extra special’.

I’m pretty convinced there is no way to recapture that magic.

Again, JMHO.

Cheers.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#10 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Yep the original H5O was never that good imo. And it definitely wasn't Magnum quality. I watched the first season of the reboot and gave it up, the writing was just too bad and the action is wayyy to over the top. I need more to a show then flashy shiny things explosions and car chases. I want the actors to actually act and have believable relationships with the other characters.
That reminds me of the time....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I have defended the H50 reboot lots of times. I admit I've never been a fan of the original. I don't hate it or anything, but it was just a straight procedural crime drama. It was easy to update and reboot. The current H50 is not a masterpiece, but it's a fun watch mostly because of Alex O'Loughlin and the setting.

MPI was a totally different kind of show. It really was not even a crime drama. It was a character driven show about a group of veterans (including Higgins) living the sweet life in Hawaii while they sorted out their war experiences and issues. The mysteries were only there to give the characters something to play off of with the "who dun it?" aspect completely secondary.

Like Conch, I've stopped commenting in the other threads about it because I have nothing positive to say except for this: the set design and decorations will be much better on an updated version. As much as I love the show, I always thought the indoor sets' decor and coloring (excluding the guest house) were bland and dull.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KingKC »

Do not care for the reboot at all!!!!!

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by No need to know! »

Well i will watch the pilot of course. But since it is called Magnum p.i and really isn´t Magnum p.i i am so sure i will hate it. We all know the magic of the original, the chemistry between the actors. No way in hell this will be the case again.

I think it will bomb no matter what. Maybe they pick it up for a season or two, but it will bomb.
Onion´s extra?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote:My mother always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, say it anyway!"

I have decided not to listen to my mom. :-)

I made my feelings known early on and since have tried to steer clear of the conversation since I doubt I'd offer anything constructive.
This is where I'm at. I don't like the idea, the concept offends me on some deep level that I can't even articulate, and some of the timing is shockingly bad. It's all been hashed over. My plan going forward is just to keep quiet about it and Let People Enjoy Things, as the famous meme says, but no, I am not watching any of it.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Majordomo »

I have always been a staunch believer that a reboot would never equal what the original was was able to do.

However, all of the energy that is around this reboot has me optimistic that it will, at least, be entertaining. I think Linkov (sp?) is one of us. I mean, if I had the opportunity to be a part of a Magnum PI show (reboot or sequel) I would jump at it! Even if it was not the ideal situation, it would be hard to turn down. Seeing his Instagrams and his enthusiasm has helped so much. I hope he keeps doing this more throughout the series. It kinda makes me feel like I am an insider with special access to the MPI world (thanks to all of the folks on here providing these links). If he was not providing this insight, I think I would still be pretty discouraged about the project.

I guess the thing that hurts my heart is that this reboot takes away my hopes of seeing a sequel series/movie; as most of us have always wanted. I wanted to see an old Thomas Magnum and I wanted to see him with his old buddies doing what made the show awesome. I guess we now know that is not happening.

With that said, I remain cautiously optimistic that this show will be fun.
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."