Magnum P.C.

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum P.C.

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

rasgards wrote:
BWheelz54 wrote:I cringe when people start tossing the "politically correct" bomb around. I hate when people use that term to describe anything that's new, and anything that doesn't tie to their expectations or to their norms. I also really hate it when people toss that term around like a crutch to excuse themselves from idiocy. Seems to me, the folks making this Magnum reboot are already using the idea of "inclusiveness" as a crutch with the expectation that people, especially Magnum fans, are just going to shrug at whatever garbage they toss on the screen
Hear! Hear! on using the term Politically Correct. I was disappointed with this entire thread and the shortsightedness of many of my fellow Magnum brethren. Thanks for speaking up.

As for the choice of actors for the new series, I really don't know much about him or his acting style. My hope is that he and the writers combs thru the episodes and really tries to understand what made the original great. I am keeping my expectations low with the hope that I can at least enjoy the show somewhat.
Unless I'm reading BWheelz54 words wrong, he's concerned, like I am, about Political Correctness "making changes for changes sake". Which, going by the Shiggins character, it seems they are doing. That change alone, to me, shows they don't "get" the show.

I had mentioned on another thread there's a tendency for Hollywood now to check boxes when casting as opposed to casting based on the content of character (or talent and abilities in this case). IMO, when casting for the movie came up a few years ago the closest modern actor I could see having the chops to play Magnum like Selleck - the charisma, the seriousness, the goofiness - would be Matthew McConaughey, but if someone would have said Denzel Washington (when he was in his prime) I can see how that would work as well. It has nothing to do with the "check box" it, to me, has to do with how well one can channel the character as we know him.

I'm bracing myself for the rest of the cast . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I already long ago predicted Rick would be Chinese. Now that they've got a Hispanic as Magnum, a Chinese Rick would fit their "diversity programming" goals.

Of course, they could leave Rick white and make him bumbling comic relief - fitting another goal of theirs to make white males into incompetent, clueless buffoons.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Magnum P.C.

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Created new Magnum P.I. Reboot category; Moved this thread from its original location.

This thread move went a lot smoother than the others. I figured out what I was doing wrong. :oops:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I already long ago predicted Rick would be Chinese. Now that they've got a Hispanic as Magnum, a Chinese Rick would fit their "diversity programming" goals.
LOL!

They even hinted at it in Season One's "Never Again... Never Again". :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/sushi_delivery.wav
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#20 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I'm sure one of the Main characters will be LGBT probably Higgins that would ensure a platonic relationship with the rest of the gang.
That reminds me of the time....