CBS orders Magnum PI pilot!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: CBS orders Magnum PI pilot!

#1 Post by eagle »

I was thinking more along the lines of: If you're desperate to relive the 1980s, buy some Magnum PI DVDs. :)

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#2 Post by Hawaii Winds »

I would love to see who they use as Magnum.... :shock:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

Hawaii Winds wrote:I would love to see who they use as Magnum.... :shock:
It certainly is hard to get any information on that. If they are aiming for the 2018/2019 season they must be in the casting phase if they are going to shoot this spring or summer........

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#4 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I just hope who ever they get has a counter-culture vibe to him. They keep putting emphasis on the Ex-Navy SEAL part of his character and I would hate to see this become another action hero, military style, shoot em up type show. If the guy playing Magnum can be somewhat anti establishment with out clearly acting that way it would go along way with most fans.
That reminds me of the time....

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

☨magnum.t wrote:I just hope who ever they get has a counter-culture vibe to him. They keep putting emphasis on the Ex-Navy SEAL part of his character and I would hate to see this become another action hero, military style, shoot em up type show. If the guy playing Magnum can be somewhat anti establishment with out clearly acting that way it would go along way with most fans.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with this statement. TS once said that he likes playing roles where the character has a flaw and that was clearly the truth with TM and his financial irresponsibility and juvenile sense of humor. He also plays the role of Jesse Stone real well displaying his battle with alcoholism and the failed marriage. I also do not want any reboot to be so technologically advanced that a computer program solves everything nor do I wish to see the episodes be constantly about international terrorism. I just wonder how they will possibly do any of the lighthearted episodes. Any recurring theme needs to be somewhat muted like the theme of Michelle, the long lost wife or the experiences in Nam. As you can tell, I have serious reservations about this one.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

Mr. Selleck, from my observation at least, has a propensity to insert some of himself into whatever character he is playing. I certainly think this was the case with TM....sooooo....wouldn't it just make sense to have his input as an integral part of the shows production?

He could be a "technical" consultant..or an executive producer..or continuity (to the original show at least) consultant..or just a plain consultant.

If he is not to be actually cast in the show and a part of it on screen, at least occasionally, I do believe he should be involved in some fashion.

Even though D.P.B. and G.L. might have been the creators of the series...it seems fairly obvious that T.S. had more than a little influence during it's development and progression into what, in my opinion, is one of the best series ever presented on the small screen.

I think all of us, here at least, would love to see him included on screen with any new attempt at reviving the show, but barring that, aren't they, (the "new guys" doing the show), smart enough to realize he HAS to at least be onboard, if not directly involved, for it to be even mildly successful? :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#7 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Yes Tom Selleck must be involved and his word should be taken for gold in production and direction. I hope there isn't to much animosity though with it being a knock-off of his great work. As far as stories go there are so many great ideas for cases because most shows these days focus so much on the massive world problems, people forget about the little guy or the under dog (like babysitting a little girls goat). :higgins: Hopefully they stick to small scale cases solved with expert deductive reasoning and help from his reluctant friends. I'm interested to see what kind of fashion trends out new Mags will follow, short shorts are coming back in style among college frat guys with brands like "Chubbies" and in the military we wear "Ranger Panties" or "Silkies" :magnum:

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Coligion »

I, for one, am happy a reboot is happening. Gives us fans of the original the best shot in a long time to get the entire series released stateside on Blu-ray. Studios love their tie-ins for these kinds of releases, so if we can get a wider Blu-ray release out of it, I'll be a happy camper. :magnum:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by eagle »

Coligion wrote:I, for one, am happy a reboot is happening. Gives us fans of the original the best shot in a long time to get the entire series released stateside on Blu-ray. Studios love their tie-ins for these kinds of releases, so if we can get a wider Blu-ray release out of it, I'll be a happy camper. :magnum:
I would definitely be down with that. I'm glad to have the DVDs, but some of the episode transfers are of horrible quality.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Coligion wrote:I, for one, am happy a reboot is happening. Gives us fans of the original the best shot in a long time to get the entire series released stateside on Blu-ray. Studios love their tie-ins for these kinds of releases, so if we can get a wider Blu-ray release out of it, I'll be a happy camper. :magnum:
I love how Coligion just pops in once every year or two with a comment - for more than ten years! Nice to see an old timer still engaged.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by Nikita70 »

My thinking exactly. I’ve been watching my DVDs and if they would just remaster them they would look way better. I want a US Blu-ray set with English subtitles and no more than 4 episodes per disc please. France is now getting a Blu-ray of Magnum. Hopefully we’ll get ours. Day one preorder for me.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by Core 4 »

Snippets from Spoiler TV about Magnum P.I. Pilot. Fortunately, there are many characteristic things from the original.
Higgins is female in this reboot and butts heads with Magnum over everything, but they work together when a friend's life is on the line. Their relationship thaws as the episode continues but it will still be cantankerous.

Higgins is also ex-MI6, but was disavowed.

There's still 2 dogs like in the original show.

Magnum still drives a 308 GTS Ferrari like the original, although Higgins doesn't want to let him use it.

Magnum has some history with a woman named Hannah. It didn't end well, but she was his CIA contact and girlfriend for a mission in North Korea years ago that Robin uses in his new book. There is a Plot Twist here.

Someone dies and someone is shot in the pilot.

Magnum and Lt. Tanaka of the HPD do not get along - some backstory there.

The pilot mentions FIVE-0, they are both shot in Hawaii, and the showrunners are from Hawaii 5-0, so there may be a crossover here. No way to tell at this early stage.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/02/magnu ... ippet.html

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#13 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Magnum drives a 30 year old car that would get smoked by some minivans today? Sounds ridiculous.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

☨magnum.t wrote:Magnum drives a 30 year old car that would get smoked by some minivans today? Sounds ridiculous.
And stands out even more than it did back then! I'm not totally against it, however. It never really made sense for a PI to drive around in a flashy car.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:Magnum drives a 30 year old car that would get smoked by some minivans today? Sounds ridiculous.
And stands out even more than it did back then! I'm not totally against it, however. It never really made sense for a PI to drive around in a flashy car.
A character named Hannah..... Selleck's daughters name. Either someone is taking wild guesses or the producers are trying to keep TS happy.