The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Created new Magnum P.I. Reboot category; Moved this thread from its original location.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

#17 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I think you lost something in the move. My post count went down by 3. Not that I care about whatever posts I lost, but that might mean other things were lost too.

Edit: Ah, I just saw the other thread where you said things were lost. Well... there it is.

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#18 Post by beerhappy »

I do not think anyone of us old fans will like this reboot. It will be designed for the millennial generation, so we will probably hate it lol. The actor that was selected to play Magnum, seems more or less like a PC maneuver. I know it is tough finding a naturally friendly likable actor like Selleck, but they could have dug a bit deeper in that actor pool. I imagine it will be like the other reboots, with only the characters names being intact and everything else going out the window. At least I will always have my box collection of the series.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

beerhappy wrote:I do not think anyone of us old fans will like this reboot. It will be designed for the millennial generation, so we will probably hate it lol. The actor that was selected to play Magnum, seems more or less like a PC maneuver. I know it is tough finding a naturally friendly likable actor like Selleck, but they could have dug a bit deeper in that actor pool. I imagine it will be like the other reboots, with only the characters names being intact and everything else going out the window. At least I will always have my box collection of the series.
I completely agree on all points, beerhappy......my thoughts exactly. And welcome! Love your handle...beer makes me happy too. :D

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by K Hale »

beerhappy wrote:I imagine it will be like the other reboots, with only the characters names being intact and everything else going out the window.
My question is, if they want to make a show about a male PI and female ex-SAS agent, why not just MAKE one? That isn't a bad concept. Why do they want to try and shoehorn it into the trappings of something else??
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by Bat22 »

While I disliked the Michael Bay Transformers and TMNT, one silver lining is that the modernized outings led to more coverage of the vintage material. Sure, you had merchandise based on the Bay films but there were also more toys - or collectors' items - going around of the classic designs.

While I don't want the Magnum reboot to be a bust, there's a decent chance that marketing will also keep the original series' fans in mind.

Carol
Ensign

#22 Post by Carol »

K Hale wrote:
beerhappy wrote:I imagine it will be like the other reboots, with only the characters names being intact and everything else going out the window.
My question is, if they want to make a show about a male PI and female ex-SAS agent, why not just MAKE one? That isn't a bad concept. Why do they want to try and shoehorn it into the trappings of something else??
They think that they will draw in fans of the original show, and people curious to see if it will be as good as the original. They are banking on a ready made audience.
"If there`s an answer, it`s just that it`s just that way"

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

K Hale wrote:
Yes, why don't they do that? If they want to make a show about an ex-military, hispanic guy becoming a P.I., then make that show and set it some place unique, like the southwest. It could even be kind of a modern western. It might be good! What is the point of P.C. casting if they are going to give him a name like Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV? What would be wrong with Hernandez, P.I. or something similar? If the networks really wanted to make some kind of statement, that's what they would do. Instead they want to re-create their classics, but at the same time they degrade their classics like the show was somehow "wrong" for being what it was.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

There is nothing new about male-female PI shows. Moonlighting and Remington Steele quickly come to mind. And a show from Canada is being brought to US by ION TV called Private Eyes. I, for one, have no desire to reboot MPI at all much less in the fashion they are proposing.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by 308GUY »

I have to wonder if Lenkov really "gets" the dynamic of the original.

He's obviously no "slouch" given the success of his other projects, but just the idea of a YOUNG Higgin's character, not to mention FEMALE, just leaves me curious how it's going to come close to recreating the relationship between JQH and TSM.

A younger character, even being a woman/girl just could not accumulate the world experience that JQH has to his credit. Granted, people in general are starting their careers and adventures younger than ever, but c'mon.....

As others have mentioned, somebody like Judy Dench or Helen Mirren....maybe...but a lady that is the same age or even younger than TM???

Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it's dealt with.

The car....hard to tell with the cover on it. Can't really see enough of the right rear wheel to make a determination..but that front nose line.....Enzo maybe....458?
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/ ... nd|660:439
Again....just have to wait and see.

Also wondering how the pilot will be unfolded. Will they use the same or similar story as DPB...or depart completely from what we know and love?

Well, this thread is titled..."thoughts"...so there's a couple....but there are so many floating around!

My little voice is saying....."Wait and see is the order of the day." :magnum:

Are we gonna get Luthor added to the Smilies roster? :?:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:
A younger character, even being a woman/girl just could not accumulate the world experience that JQH has to his credit. Granted, people in general are starting their careers and adventures younger than ever, but c'mon.....

As others have mentioned, somebody like Judy Dench or Helen Mirren....maybe...but a lady that is the same age or even younger than TM???
Thinking outside the box, maybe they will portray her character as older? Maybe not the same age gap as Higgins & Magnum, but perhaps they can portray Juliet older than Magnum. This is her in 2012...

Just lay off the botox etc.
308GUY wrote: Are we gonna get Luthor added to the Smilies roster? :?:
Yep, JJ is on it! Thanks for asking 308GUY! Image

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:
The car....hard to tell with the cover on it. Can't really see enough of the right rear wheel to make a determination..but that front nose line.....Enzo maybe....458?
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/ ... nd|660:439
Again....just have to wait and see. :

Hi 308GUY
I would be stunned if they use an Enzo.....I'm thinking 458, but hoping for a 488 Spider in RED!
Watch there be a Lamborghini under there....it better be a Ferrari Lenkov!!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote: Watch there be a Lamborghini under there....it better be a Ferrari Lenkov!!!!
I think it's safe to bet it's a Ferrari, Kenji... Lenkov has multiple Ferrari "hints" on Instagram.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote: Watch there be a Lamborghini under there....it better be a Ferrari Lenkov!!!!
I think it's safe to bet it's a Ferrari, Kenji... Lenkov has multiple Ferrari "hints" on Instagram.
OK all Ferrari experts... which one is it?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by 308GUY »

Sorta looks like a 488....Spider. :magnum:

(Been wrong before....but that's what it looks like from that pic.)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"