ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

I try.

I try to be diplomatic.

I try not to be "negative".

I try to be "open minded".

I don't want to be "someone who isn't looking forward". Whatever that means.

I especially do not want to be a voice that minimizes the influence of this site or reduces the perception people have of those who have invested their time and love of the show here.

Watching "Did You See the Sunrise" in honor of Mr. Selleck's birthday and I can't see how an episode like that could be made today. Language aside, which is offensive and yet integral, there's no way anyone would be in invested in these characters enough to care about their relationships which makes the whole story work.

I hope I'm wrong seeing that the pilot is already in the works, but I just need to vent.

Casablanca has not been remade but it has influenced many things that followed, including this show.

Now I'm not comparing Magnum PI to Casablanca (well, we'll argue that later) but I will say it's legacy is lasting, and if someone wants to truly honor the show, I'd prefer they do just that, honor the show. Not use name recognition for a ratings grab.

But I will (try to) keep an open mind.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

☨magnum.t
Admiral

Re: The Magnum PI reboot

#2 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Those feelings are mutual for all those who are here reading this, I assure you. Being an actual "fan" of the show and just someone who watches or watched it are two different things. My hopes for the reboot are simple, that its just good television I hope to see good writing, good plots, good casting and most of all some substance to it. We here at Magnum-Mania have an emotional investment to the one and only Magnum (Tom Selleck) and original cast and its an investment that can't ever be replaced. When the announcement to actually reboot our show came it was like a gut punch, all kinds of emotions flooding in like how can they do this to a great show, OUR show. But then the sting wears off and we realize it cant and never will replace our show, so we have to be optimistic and hope that maybe, miraculously we can just get good television. Other than the name of the show the reboot will be completely different "loosely based on the original" is the way I take it. All in all I hope for the best but I know I can always find comfort here on this site and forum with other true Magnum fans if it turns out horrible.
That reminds me of the time....

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:Watching "Did You See the Sunrise" in honor of Mr. Selleck's birthday and I can't see how an episode like that could be made today. Language aside, which is offensive and yet integral, there's no way anyone would be in invested in these characters enough to care about their relationships which makes the whole story work.
I just watched it last week, but I'll have to watch it again to see what you mean by language. I do, however, totally agree that such a pilot would not work today, and that it is the characters and their relationships that made the show work.

My wife probably gets tired of me talking about that last point. We all need a band of brothers, and that's what Magnum had, and it's one of the reasons why I love the show so much. And, being vulnerable for a moment, I sometimes cry during the episodes when the characters' love for each other comes through. They truly care for one another.

As tmagnumt said, I totally agree with all of your points. I'll try to be open-minded, but in the way that much of Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends and Influence People" no longer applies in today's postmodern world where people generally have less respect for authority and customs, I wonder how much a Magnum reboot can truly reflect the original.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think it's a mistake to think that a remake will take something away from the original. The original run is legendary and it stands on its own. A reboot, if anything, is a hat tip to the original: this was something awesome, let's see if we can do the same again for a new generation.

I'm a big fan of the original Star Wars trilogy. While the prequels were awful and the most recent instalment unenjoyable, none of that takes away from the originals. When some new artist covers one of my favourite songs, it doesn't take away from the original.

Let's see what they come up with and call it what it is, but I don't see it taking away from the original.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

I think done well, the reboot could work.

That being said - done well.

You would have to re-capture lightning in a bottle with the casting to make sure they have good chemistry, AND be able to do comedy, drama, action and slapstick.

If the first few episodes are slow, it’ll just be panned as another failed reboot. They need to start fast out of the gate with more cases and less military. It needs to be more Magnum and less NCIS... if that makes any sense.

ConchRepublican

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:I think done well, the reboot could work.

You would have to re-capture lightning in a bottle with the casting to make sure they have good chemistry, AND be able to do comedy, drama, action and slapstick.

If the first few episodes are slow, it’ll just be panned as another failed reboot. They need to start fast out of the gate with more cases and less military. It needs to be more Magnum and less NCIS... if that makes any sense.
Welcome back Doc!
CoziTV Superfan spot

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by rasgards »

It really does stress me out to think about the remake. My only reprieve is to keep my expectations at zero and to remember that I can't do much if anything about it anyway. I cannot think of a way, in the modern TV environment, for anyone to capture what the show was in the 80s, the stories, the friendships, the locale...etc. There just aren't characters like Tome Seleck's Magnum today, and, to me, that is what set the whole tone of the show. My only hope is that a true fan is deeply involved in the remake and they are much more creative than I.
Ras G

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:I think done well, the reboot could work.

Welcome back Doc!
Quite.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

For what it's worth, just because CBS ordered a pilot doesn't mean they'll order a series. Their schedule is pretty crowded and they've already got a bunch of "current or ex-military guys fighting crime" type shows including 3 with Navy SEALs. Plus, They get slammed by the entertainment press every Fall because their lineup is almost totally crime dramas. Maybe they'll realize that viewers are over saturated with reboots! There's even going to be a reboot of the Muppet Babies in the spring! :shock:

ConchRepublican

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:For what it's worth, just because CBS ordered a pilot doesn't mean they'll order a series. Their schedule is pretty crowded and they've already got a bunch of "current or ex-military guys fighting crime" type shows including 3 with Navy SEALs. Plus, They get slammed by the entertainment press every Fall because their lineup is almost totally crime dramas. Maybe they'll realize that viewers are over saturated with reboots! There's even going to be a reboot of the Muppet Babies in the spring! :shock:
Is there some voodoo doll I can make to help this possibility come to fruition?
CoziTV Superfan spot

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#11 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Seems CBS has an instagram that isn't quite as popular as one would assume @CBSTV is there handle they have about 150,000 followers and not many people comment on their posts, could be a good platform to reach out? Just a thought.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

ConchRepublican wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:For what it's worth, just because CBS ordered a pilot doesn't mean they'll order a series. Their schedule is pretty crowded and they've already got a bunch of "current or ex-military guys fighting crime" type shows including 3 with Navy SEALs. Plus, They get slammed by the entertainment press every Fall because their lineup is almost totally crime dramas. Maybe they'll realize that viewers are over saturated with reboots! There's even going to be a reboot of the Muppet Babies in the spring! :shock:

Try a rubber chicken! :magnum:

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#13 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

If CBS picks this up I could see Lenkov rolling this into a H50 replacement, much like the original MPI took over the production studios for Jack Lord's H50. The strange thing is that reboot Magnum, as described in the trade blogs, is basically the Alex O'Loughlin McGarrett. Maybe they'll introduce the reboot through H50? We've reached the point where there are more actors playing SEALS than there are actual SEALS.
Faith and Begorrah!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#14 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Yes it is getting out of hand with the Navy SEALS thing. And it will be the exact same character as Steve M. no matter what race or ethnicity the cast him as. Originality in network television is dead and it seems like it'll stay dead. Hopefully Netflix and Amazon Prime will continue to put out good shows.

ConchRepublican

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

Try a rubber chicken! :magnum:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot