Our "Magnum Mania" screen names

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Louise
Captain

Re: Our "Magnum Mania" screen names

#61 Post by Louise »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Louise wrote:Talking of names, and slightly off-topic, I just wanted to share some sad news. My cat Thomas had to be put to sleep about six weeks ago, he was sixteen and had a bowel tumour and was starting to get very unwell. He was, of course, named after TM (and TS)!

Louise, I'm so sorry for your loss. My wife and I adopt shelter cats so we have had too much experience with losing pets. It's not easy and 16 years seems long until it's over and then it's not nearly long enough. Take comfort in knowing you were there to accept his love and take care of him during his illness and that now he's happy and pain free, playing across the Rainbow Bridge, no doubt in a red Ferrari waiting for the time you guys meet again . . .

https://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm
Very belated Thank You, Conch. My Thomas was also from a rescue shelter and had been a stray - he was about two years old when I got him, so after that shaky start in his life, he had a very comfortable 14 years with me. The image of him in a red Ferrari made me smile - before he got ill, he used to like being outdoors as much as possible, and when it rained (as it did for most of last year here in the UK), he would sit on the roof of my car under the car-port. Or if the engine was warm, he liked to sit on the bonnet. So the roof, bonnet and windscreen of my car were always covered in mucky paw prints - I can just imagine Higgins' reaction if that happened to the Ferrari. OH! MY! GOD! :D

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by magnumette »

Hi guys. I am fairly new to the forum - 2 weeks. Sorry about your cat Loiuse- it has been a while but you have my warmest sympathy. Over the years I have lost a few cats... but the love they give and life they share is so wonderful I cant imagine life without them!As far as hanging around your car, my cat here in Miami does the same. I have a candy apple red TOYOTA full of mucky paw prints hahah but in my mind it is a red Ferrari....

As far as my screen name- I always wanted to be a female Magnum, I related to him so much . I also wanted a feminine name. I watched the originally aired Magnum as a young teen with my parents. I was born in America- but my parents were born in Yorkshire. We loved the American/ English relationship of Magnum and Higgins of course. And we often laughed at the culture clash together.

Artie Canoe cracked me up as well. Thanks for all the fun screen names . I like racking my brains for the references. I wanted to see "Tommy" as in Tommy is the name of a boy with an all day sucker ...........

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by charybdis1966 »

As this is my 100th post I thought what better time to explain my on screen name as I don't think I have yet.

I use Charybdis1966 for blogging on a variety of sites, mainly soccer(football) sites but it's origins are from a minor character (Karibdis, from the episode Murder on the Rising Star) from the series which I take my on screen avatar, namely the original Starbuck from classic Battlestar Galactica.

So now you know. :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#64 Post by Styles Bitchley »

charybdis1966 wrote:As this is my 100th post I thought what better time to explain my on screen name as I don't think I have yet.

I use Charybdis1966 for blogging on a variety of sites, mainly soccer(football) sites but it's origins are from a minor character (Karibdis, from the episode Murder on the Rising Star) from the series which I take my on screen avatar, namely the original Starbuck from classic Battlestar Galactica.

So now you know. :lol:
Never would have guessed that one!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by charybdis1966 »

Ha ha, the more obscure the better, I say.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#66 Post by Kwai Bridge »

I guess mine is pretty obvious, I named my profile after Higgins' replica of River Kwai Bridge. A little obscure, but still significant to the show. And on the avatar you can see Magnum detonating it. :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Louise wrote:Talking of names, and slightly off-topic, I just wanted to share some sad news. My cat Thomas had to be put to sleep about six weeks ago, he was sixteen and had a bowel tumour and was starting to get very unwell. He was, of course, named after TM (and TS)!
Louise, I'm so sorry for your loss. My wife and I adopt shelter cats so we have had too much experience with losing pets. It's not easy and 16 years seems long until it's over and then it's not nearly long enough. Take comfort in knowing you were there to accept his love and take care of him during his illness and that now he's happy and pain free, playing across the Rainbow Bridge, no doubt in a red Ferrari waiting for the time you guys meet again . . .
Hi Conch,
That was a touching post, you got heart, your wife too. Those cats are lucky to have people like you two around.
The people who post at Magnum Mania are genuinely nice, some places I have posted at degenerated into civil wars.
The only real clunker I have noted on the Boards I have read to date was that poor soul who presented himself as some
sort of militant Hawaiian Nationalist but turned out to be a white guy from California.
Kind of his own modern take on when people used to perform in Blackface.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#68 Post by Doc Ibold »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Hi Conch,
That was a touching post, you got heart, your wife too. Those cats are lucky to have people like you two around.
The people who post at Magnum Mania are genuinely nice, some places I have posted at degenerated into civil wars.
The only real clunker I have noted on the Boards I have read to date was that poor soul who presented himself as some sort of militant Hawaiian Nationalist but turned out to be a white guy from California. Kind of his own modern take on when people used to perform in Blackface.
Even in his absence, Kimo will live forever to us long-timers....

Those were some crazy times.

:higgins:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#69 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: Louise, I'm so sorry for your loss. My wife and I adopt shelter cats so we have had too much experience with losing pets. It's not easy and 16 years seems long until it's over and then it's not nearly long enough. Take comfort in knowing you were there to accept his love and take care of him during his illness and that now he's happy and pain free, playing across the Rainbow Bridge, no doubt in a red Ferrari waiting for the time you guys meet again . . .
Hi Conch,
The only real clunker I have noted on the Boards I have read to date was that poor soul who presented himself as some sort of militant Hawaiian Nationalist but turned out to be a white guy from California. Kind of his own modern take on when people used to perform in Blackface.
Even in his absence, Kimo will live forever to us long-timers....

Those were some crazy times.

:higgins:
Doc, Methinks you mean haoles ..... :wink:

LnD - thank you for the kind words. You are correct about this site, it is full of some of the nicest people I've met on the interwebs. I like to think that's a testament to the show.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#70 Post by KingKC »

Autumn Warrior wrote:I’m new to this forum, so I’m seeing the screen names for the first time. There are many good names. (e.g., IslandHopper, Italian Ice, VMO2, Frodoleader, etc.) I agree that Artie Canoe might be the most clever. I particularly like HiHo, kudubuck, rubber chicken, and tidal pool. (I would trade the Ferrari for access to the tidal pool.)

I’m surprised that some names are not in use. Robin’s Nest or King K (or KK Club) come to mind.

I failed to check the member list before I chose my screen name. If I had, I would have seen that there were already three versions of Mad Buck. (my apologies)

I would change it if I could. I might pick Scrungo. (sp?)
Well I guess I am about seven years too late to satisfy Autumn Warrior. Actually my screen name is a convenient derivative of KKC - King Kamehameha Club and a screen name I frequently use called King Coyote. In both you will see the word King and the initials KC. They reflect my desire to rule (lol) and the city of Kansas City (Missouri) which is where I moved to in early 1981 and became a MPI fan on Thursday nights along with Simon and Simon and Hill Street Blues. Those were great years in the early eighties with MPI and KC. It all just fit for me.

KingKC

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#71 Post by MHTR »

MHTR:

M - Magnum
H - Higgins
T - T.C.
R - Rick

Not very creative, but easy to remember!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by KingKC »

MHTR wrote:MHTR:

M - Magnum
H - Higgins
T - T.C.
R - Rick

I would call it creative!!

KingKC

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#73 Post by ConchRepublican »

MHTR wrote:MHTR:

M - Magnum
H - Higgins
T - T.C.
R - Rick

I was wondering, nice!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

TSM308
Captain

#74 Post by TSM308 »

TSM308 - probably not too hard to decipher that one. I'm surprised it was available actually. That's what happens when you take years to register!
"Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Mine's pretty obvious: a cross between Mad Buck and Kudu Buck - and my avatar looks a bit like a goat version of Mad Buck, with brown beard and everything. :D

I also have plans to get a couple brown & black goats and call them "the lads". I even considered getting a couple brown pigs and call them "the pig lads", but then it would get a bit confusing having "Pig Zeus" and "Pig Apollo" and having everybody patrol at once.