ABC's new series Magnum Revival

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fitzy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ABC's new series Magnum Revival

#1 Post by Fitzy »

Well after hearing about ABC taking up the series featuring Lilly is exciting.
The idea of having a new star replace Tom Selleck would have been very disappointing indeed.
A new character taking up the part of Lilly is what I have always been hoping for. Eva Longoria is a good choice. Not bad ABC
Lets hope they push for Tom to be included. I still believe he is a massive draw card and would love to be included.
Blue Bloods is gong well, but even interviews with Selleck, there is only one Magnum.
The farther daughter team would make for amazing and dynamic television indeed.
I still reckon Helen Mirrem needs to be the new Higgins.

Interesting times.

Fitzy :)

MDCustom
Ensign

Re: ABC's new series Magnum Revival

#2 Post by MDCustom »

I know this is an old post but i have been thinking lately about a remake of the show. Here is my thought process:

It's fairly common knowledge that the show was originally proposed as a way to keep the production facility on O'ahu operating once Hawaii Five-O wrapped filming its' 12th season.
Hawaii Five-O suffered in the last two seasons from weak writing. So much so that most of the main characters failed to return to the show on the final season.
The new Hawaii Five-0 is entering its 8th season and is losing two main characters (Chin Ho and Kono). If H50 fades away in the near future it would be nice to see a Magnum P.I. remake in some form or another. can history repeat itself?

Here is the premise of the show (as I see it):

Tom Selleck still plays the role of Thomas Magnum. But, he is running the estate as Higgins once did. Higgins has gone off to England to write his memoirs without distractions (read: Thomas!). The estate, btw, was willed to Thomas by Robin Masters/ or in Higgins' absence TM was asked to fill his shoes for Robin. Either way can lead to interesting dynamics.

Magnum has aged and matured, only slightly, of course. The rubber chicken and Gorilla mask still make appearances.
There is a new young guy running security for the estate. He also happens to be an aspiring private investigator. Thomas takes him under his wing but being the veteran, gets riled much like Higgins did. Especially when the young guy takes out the Ferrari without permission.

T.C.'s son has taken over the Island Hoppers business. T.C. (Roger Mosley) still makes appearances and "borrows the chopper" from his son because TM has promised to cover all the expenses. Makani Kai helicopters still use the same model helicopter for their business. They also supply helicopters for the current Hawaii 5-0.

Rick, still the bachelor, continues to run The KKC. But now he owns it. Many meetings are had in the club. Maybe Rick overhears the young guy and reports back to TM?

It is a pretty slim idea bu,t I am sure that writers in the business have done more with less!

The show was a favourite of mine during my high school years. I have been to O'ahu many times and have been by the estate in Waimanalo often- both from the road and from the beach.
For what is worth, about three years ago (2014 or 2015?) the estate was listed for sale for a paltry 15 million US. Some lucky buyer bought it for a massively reduced priced around the 8.3 million dollar area. If I had the cash, I would have snapped it up and approached the production company myself!
In fact, the original Hawaii 5-O filmed quite a few episodes at what was to become the Robins' Nest!

Any thoughts/contributions to the idea?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: ABC's new series Magnum Revival

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome MDC!

Whether you just popped in to share your idea, or you stick around for the duration...welcome to the Mania!

I, for one, really like your idea. I had envisioned something along the same lines, with TM "inheriting" if not the estate itself, the role of major domo in JQH absence due to either retiring to GB, or going to his "reward". I'd rather see him retire, then show up occasionally for a visit where he straightens everything TM has screwed up (according to him..) out. Everything else you mention is just about identical to thoughts I've had about a "revival" of the original show.

Don't really think the odds are very good for it happening, but one can always dream...right?

"Life is for putting wings on your dreams.." Not sure who said it originally, but if not solidly based in "reality"..it at least leaves room for optimistic speculation for the future!

"Change is the only constant in the universe.." speaks for itself.

I don't think your idea is "slim" but probably the chances of it being implemented could be described that way.

Another little "spin-off" based on the same premise, has TM heading up a private version of the NIA..with the estate being the base of operations...delving into clandestine activities all over the globe...international espionage..mystery..intrigue...you know...Ian Flemming "ish"... :lol:

Oh well...."Those who can do...those who can't.. dream...or teach..or something like that!" LOL 8)

Stick around, lots of good folks here...all of them love the show and TM & the "guys". :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"