Must see spots in Oahu for an upcoming trip

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

walken1974
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Must see spots in Oahu for an upcoming trip

#1 Post by walken1974 »

Just trying to map out a driving tour where I can hit the most spots without backtracking. (using the great rubber chicken guide for my planning) What would you and the other board members think would be on your must see spots and maybe some more obscure ? ( Mine are Robin's Nest, Elks bar, Waialae Beach Park, Maki Research Pier, Church where he meets lily and catherine, Hotel st, Makapuu Lighthouse, Bydoo temple, Kapena falls) Two other spots I would like to see but I don't believe the public has access to is the Walker Estate and the cliff Buck Gibson hand-glides off (one of my favorite episodes) Love to see what others would have on their list.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Must see spots in Oahu for an upcoming trip

#2 Post by Sam »

Welcome aboard Walken,

The Makapuu cliff hang gliding is not off limits you will however have to hike it.You can find the info here..good luck

http://www.unrealhawaii.com/2010/10/mak ... tom-trail/

Sam

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Sam wrote:Welcome aboard Walken,

The Makapuu cliff hang gliding is not off limits you will however have to hike it.You can find the info here..good luck

http://www.unrealhawaii.com/2010/10/mak ... tom-trail/

Sam
Great link Sam!
I've always wanted to go up there, but thought it was all private land.........it's on the list for next time!
Thanks

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

I just found this on Youtube......type in Makapuu Launchpad Lookout....posted by Kahanaohana and he shows you the easy way up AND he zooms in on Robin's Nest.....now I really want to hike this trail!!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

I was just trying to upload a picture of the gate from the Google street view and suggest that I would take that approach.In fact in the streetview photo the gate is open.I don't think much would be done other than tossing you.How do the hang gliders get the equipment up there?

Just Google
1336 Kamehame Drive, Honolulu, HI

The only thing that would concern me would be who unlocked the gate and where are they? Just before you get to the top on the right is the Holly Fox radio station.If the gate unlocker is there you could get locked in.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Sam wrote:I was just trying to upload a picture of the gate from the Google street view and suggest that I would take that approach.In fact in the streetview photo the gate is open.I don't think much would be done other than tossing you.How do the hang gliders get the equipment up there?

Just Google
1336 Kamehame Drive, Honolulu, HI

The only thing that would concern me would be who unlocked the gate and where are they? Just before you get to the top on the right is the Holly Fox radio station.If the gate unlocker is there you could get locked in.
KENJI wrote:I just found this on Youtube......type in Makapuu Launchpad Lookout....posted by Kahanaohana and he shows you the easy way up AND he zooms in on Robin's Nest.....now I really want to hike this trail!!!
I hiked this trail a few weeks back and REALLY enjoyed the views from the launch area looking down on Pahonu.
No hang gliders, but a few people were up in kites sailing in the wind so that was an added bonus.
The views of Rabbit Island and the Makai Pier were excellent! Neat to see a puka up there which made for a few good pics.I also drove up to the gate just to check it out and the gate was locked with signs stating no hiking, trespassing etc..
I'm glad I hiked it and didn't take this short cut -well worth it!!!
Take LOTS of water, sunscreen and a camera. I would say it's a bit of a Billy Goat trail which makes it even more fun AND there were a few goats up there to support this description. Along the way I noticed a cactus or two and a few starfish plants which were interesting to see as well.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by 308GUY »

Great hearing of your recent experience KENJI...just one question....where's the pics??? :magnum:

I can only imagine the exhilaration one gets from being there in person, having the images from the show firmly implanted in your mind, while seeing it all up close and personal. Thanks for sharing.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

I'll pick out a few and post them soon.
It was really windy up there so trying to keep the camera steady was a challenge in a few spots. For that reason I took WAY more pics than needed just to be safe. Stay tuned!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:I'll pick out a few and post them soon.
It was really windy up there so trying to keep the camera steady was a challenge in a few spots. For that reason I took WAY more pics than needed just to be safe. Stay tuned!

Looking forward to it.

Take your time....we'll be here. :magnum:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

Ok, I started sorting and deleting to come up with a few and decided a few more won't hurt.

More later!
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by 308GUY »

Really enjoying seeing the pics KENJI, thanks for sharing.

DogZy
Lieutenant

#12 Post by DogZy »

What a view! :shock:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KENJI »

Glad you liked the pics!
The view is INCREDIBLE from up there. I could've stayed all day, very peaceful and really windy which actually helped with the heat, but made taking pics a bit of a challenge.

I have a short video clip that I'm trying to post, but for some reason it won't attach. Any suggestions out there?

DogZy
Lieutenant

#14 Post by DogZy »

Umm,have you tried to post a yt link with a url code in it? Or just copy-pasted the yt link in the post? Don't know other solutions on how the problem could be solved.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

KENJI wrote:I have a short video clip that I'm trying to post, but for some reason it won't attach. Any suggestions out there?
Upload it to Youtube and then post a link to the Youtube post.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.