Must see spots in Oahu for an upcoming trip

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Must see spots in Oahu for an upcoming trip

#11 Post by 308GUY »

Really enjoying seeing the pics KENJI, thanks for sharing.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

DogZy
Lieutenant

#12 Post by DogZy »

What a view! :shock:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KENJI »

Glad you liked the pics!
The view is INCREDIBLE from up there. I could've stayed all day, very peaceful and really windy which actually helped with the heat, but made taking pics a bit of a challenge.

I have a short video clip that I'm trying to post, but for some reason it won't attach. Any suggestions out there?

DogZy
Lieutenant

#14 Post by DogZy »

Umm,have you tried to post a yt link with a url code in it? Or just copy-pasted the yt link in the post? Don't know other solutions on how the problem could be solved.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

KENJI wrote:I have a short video clip that I'm trying to post, but for some reason it won't attach. Any suggestions out there?
Upload it to Youtube and then post a link to the Youtube post.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

walken1974
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#16 Post by walken1974 »

Hi everyone just got back from trip and it was great. I really enjoyed locating various magnum pi sites with the assistance of the rubber chicken's guide. The highlight of my trip was the "magnum experience" helicopter ride and spending a day swimming and relaxing at Robin's Nest tidal pool. I have another trip planned next year and hope to spot some more locations. I have attached some photos: Image
PIPELINE BAR
PIPELINE BAR
KAPENA FALLS
The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u
Image[

LOW SURF HOTEL Father Paddy
[url=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/walken1974/media/205_zps98052f25.jpg.html]Image

ITALIAN ICE

LEMON BRAWL
NAVAL INTELLIGENCE

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by 308GUY »

Great pics! :D

Looks like you had a fantastic visit and recorded it all to share....thank you for ALL of it!

What a great experience to be able to share with your family, looks like your son is having the time of his life too.

Very grateful to all who get to go and share the experience with the rest of us through your pictures and stories.

Thanks for sharing! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This is delightful. Thanks so much for sharing, dude.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by KENJI »

Hi Walken1974,

Thanks for sharing your great pics!
I have to say that the shot of you and your son in the chopper while wearing the Island Hopper t-shirt is one of the best shots any MPI fan could ask for! I hope you are framing that one!! Where did Paradise take you on your tour?
Now you need to get a shot of you and your son in a 308 while wearing the Birds of Paradise shirt.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#20 Post by Doc Ibold »

Those are fantastic pics... Talk about the ultimate magnum vacation!

Great great work!

walken1974
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by walken1974 »

Paradise took us on an island circle tour (including flying over Robin's Nest and Maki Research Pier). We also landed at Honolulu airport so that we could take off and fly over Waikiki low and slow. The pilot Josh (nice guy) is a magnum pi fan and he told me about flying with Roger Mosely during the opening promotion and how he could still fly pretty good even though he hadn't flown in over 20 years. The whole staff at Paradise Helicopters could not have been any friendlier and I definitely would recommend doing this magnum pi fan or not. (expensive but well worth it) It was great to swim and hangout at Robin's Nest Tidal Pools however it was kind of sad seeing the poor condition of the estate. (I fear whoever buys it is going to tear it down) On a positive note it appeared some kind of construction work was occurring on the main house so maybe the estate won't be torn down. I know I have hardly posted on this site however I am a big fan and my trip was really enhanced by the info on this website so thanks again to all.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi w1974,

You may not have posted often but if there was a BAFTA, EMMY or OSCAR for best Red Socks vacation post and best MPI family in a supporting role ............ you guys would get my vote !

:magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Frodoleader »

Awesome Walken, awesome!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Fat Jack
Captain

#24 Post by Fat Jack »

KENJI wrote: I hiked this trail a few weeks back and REALLY enjoyed the views from the launch area looking down on Pahonu.
No hang gliders, but a few people were up in kites sailing in the wind so that was an added bonus.
The views of Rabbit Island and the Makai Pier were excellent! Neat to see a puka up there which made for a few good pics.I also drove up to the gate just to check it out and the gate was locked with signs stating no hiking, trespassing etc..
I'm glad I hiked it and didn't take this short cut -well worth it!!!
Take LOTS of water, sunscreen and a camera. I would say it's a bit of a Billy Goat trail which makes it even more fun AND there were a few goats up there to support this description. Along the way I noticed a cactus or two and a few starfish plants which were interesting to see as well.
Just heard some sad news about a young female hiker who just fell to her death on this trail. Kenji, are you familiar with the "puka" section of the trail? Was it a treacherous part? http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2883 ... -tom-trail

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by KENJI »

Fat Jack wrote:
KENJI wrote: I hiked this trail a few weeks back and REALLY enjoyed the views from the launch area looking down on Pahonu.
No hang gliders, but a few people were up in kites sailing in the wind so that was an added bonus.
The views of Rabbit Island and the Makai Pier were excellent! Neat to see a puka up there which made for a few good pics.I also drove up to the gate just to check it out and the gate was locked with signs stating no hiking, trespassing etc..
I'm glad I hiked it and didn't take this short cut -well worth it!!!
Take LOTS of water, sunscreen and a camera. I would say it's a bit of a Billy Goat trail which makes it even more fun AND there were a few goats up there to support this description. Along the way I noticed a cactus or two and a few starfish plants which were interesting to see as well.
Just heard some sad news about a young female hiker who just fell to her death on this trail. Kenji, are you familiar with the "puka" section of the trail? Was it a treacherous part? http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2883 ... -tom-trail
Hi Fat Jack,

I know the Puka section well. It is an excellent spot to take pics (refer to the pics in your link with the puka (hole) in the rock with the ocean view) and safe enough, so long as you use common sense and stay on the mountain side of the hole. I saw one guy climb inside the puka which is fine, BUT he then decided to go onto the ocean side of the hole which is REALLY dangerous, and a borderline death wish/reckless move!!! It is pretty close to a sheer drop on that side with a very tiny ledge for someone to sit on and cling with a death grip to get that great pic. One slip and you are done!!! :shock: Two others climbed on top of the puka and that is not as dangerous, but there is risk involved. If you are not paying attention and slip or stumble on the rock, you will take a header. There were a few other spots on that section where you are pretty close to the edge while you are climbing the rock where one could fall, but if you take your time and watch your footing it's safe enough. It's a shame that someone lost their life that day. It will be interesting to hear more about what happened in the days to come.