Novel Recommendations

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mcmullan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Novel Recommendations

#1 Post by Mcmullan »

Hi guys. I would really appreciate some suggestions for authors with a similar protagonist/theme to Magnum. I've yet to read a Jesse Stone novel so I'm not sure if there is a strong resemblance. I guess an exotic location like Magnum would be preferable.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Novel Recommendations

#2 Post by Stelth »

Mcmullan wrote:Hi guys. I would really appreciate some suggestions for authors with a similar protagonist/theme to Magnum. I've yet to read a Jesse Stone novel so I'm not sure if there is a strong resemblance. I guess an exotic location like Magnum would be preferable.

I like the John D. MacDonald Travis McGee series; in fact I just finished reading the last of the 21 books yesterday. They are are set in Ft. Lauderdale but the main character travels to Mexico and other exotic locations as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rufener/

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

I second John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee series. He's one of my favorite authors. There's also Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer series of books that take place in SoCal. Highly recommended. And then there's Robet B. Parker's Spenser series and Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

My $0.02 ..... Nelson DeMille's John Corey character has a lot of traits similar to our man Magnum. Start with Plum Island.

From a little out of left field a character that was in the Navy, left and lives on a tropical isle and finds himself involved in crime sleuthing against his better judgement is Alex Rutledge. He lives in Key West and is written by Tom Corcoran. Start with The Mango Opera.

Finally Randy Wayne White's character, Doc Ford, is considered by many to be the heir to Travis McGee. Start with Sanibel Flats.

Enjoy!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mcmullan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by Mcmullan »

Thanks for all the great suggestions :)

I'm just finishing an Andy Mcnab novel called Firewall (ex-sas not sure if he's well known in the states) so will look out for some of these next.

Harold Farber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by Harold Farber »

Hi there,

Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series (late 70's - present day) is fantastic also (for the most part). Very much light reading but BR is a very entertaining Magnum-esque character/protagonist.

HF.