How old is the average Magnum Maniac?

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How old are you?

0-10
No votes
11-20
3%
21-30
12%
31-40
24%
41-50
41%
51-60
10%
61-70
8%
71-80
No votes
81-90
1%
91-100 (now this has got to be pushing it, right?)
No votes
100+ (if you're voting this option, kudos to you!)
No votes

Total votes: 145

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: How old is the average Magnum Maniac?

#91 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Turkey wrote:32

Been watching it for about 4 years or so - and I know pretty much no-one else who watches it around my age.
Welcome Turkey.
That made me chuckle.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MikeS
Admiral

#92 Post by MikeS »

As the saying goes...

"I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth."
MikeS

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Little Garwood »

Been watching it for about 4 years or so - and I know pretty much no-one else who watches it around my age.
I was a few years younger when I first answered this question, but I'm 43 now.

As to the age-group-not-watching-old-stuff thing, I wonder if this is common. That is, the young people being oblivious to pop culture things before their time (unless it's re-used in a contemporary movie or show). When I was a kid *cue Ragtime music and sepia-toned colorization* my close friends--the "Rick" and "TC" of my youth, I suppose--were just as enthusiastic about the likes of Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and Lee Marvin as we were then-at-their-peak Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stallone. I don't think the other kids at school shared our admiration for 1960s movie heroes. After all, The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, and films like that--not to mention numerous '60s and '70s shows--were played regularly on TV. I never talked about my interests except with my three close friends but in talking with colleagues at work who are my age, they were not exposed to or even bothered with the stuff that came just before their lifetimes.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Turkey
Admiral

#94 Post by Turkey »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:

Welcome Turkey.
That made me chuckle.

AWESOME! :D
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#95 Post by Turkey »

Little Garwood wrote:

I was a few years younger when I first answered this question, but I'm 43 now.

As to the age-group-not-watching-old-stuff thing, I wonder if this is common. That is, the young people being oblivious to pop culture things before their time (unless it's re-used in a contemporary movie or show). When I was a kid *cue Ragtime music and sepia-toned colorization* my close friends--the "Rick" and "TC" of my youth, I suppose--were just as enthusiastic about the likes of Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and Lee Marvin as we were then-at-their-peak Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stallone. I don't think the other kids at school shared our admiration for 1960s movie heroes. After all, The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, and films like that--not to mention numerous '60s and '70s shows--were played regularly on TV. I never talked about my interests except with my three close friends but in talking with colleagues at work who are my age, they were not exposed to or even bothered with the stuff that came just before their lifetimes.
I think it is common to some extent - most teenagers and 20ish folks I've come across are pretty conservative in terms of their viewing/listening, sticking to a decade they're comfortable. Certainly not all, by no means all, but most.

The flip-side I've noticed is, once they get a bit older, they get curious about the stuff that influenced or preceded the stuff they like.
Make it two weeks.

Hawaii
Ensign

#96 Post by Hawaii »

Im 19
At my place there is noone my age that knows about Magnum PI,sad but true.
I watch Magnum because im "nostalgic" about 80's 90's and thats why i watch Miami Vice too :)
Higgie baby!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#97 Post by marlboro »

Welcome to the board!

It would be interesting to rewatch the series from a young person's point of view. Looking forward to your opinions on individual episodes.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome Hawaii!

Are you? (in Hawaii, i.e. :) )

Agree with above, always good to see new folks, and especially youngn's, as it does offer the potential for a new perspective on an "old" favorite.

I know young people that enjoy old classic movies too, so it's not like it's un-heard of or something, just interesting to see/hear the thoughts of those who are seeing for the first time, that which some of us consider old favorites.

Hope to see many posts by you as you go through the series.

Hope you have checked out the main page, VAST amount of info there, and don't forget rubber chickens' guide, it's great!

Stick around, look around, have fun and let us hear your impressions. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Robert
Lieutenant

#99 Post by Robert »

What I've always found interesting is TV shows from the 1980's seem to have a stronger fan base in Europe, etc then the US based on posts I've seen. Not just Magnum but Miami Vice and others.
(I've lived in the US since age 7 so not sure I count even. :D )

Harold Farber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#100 Post by Harold Farber »

35 and until the release of the DVD's, I only remembered the show from my childhood when my folks would watch it. Revisiting as an adult for the first time was mind-blowing and heart-warming all at once, why don't they make shows like this anymore??? Anyway, I go through the entire series every year at least once and usually enjoy the experience alone (because my mates aren't really into old TV shows :( ) but stumbling upon the Mania site and these forums will hopefully make this time a little more fun.

HF.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by 308GUY »

G'day Harold Farber, and welcome to MM.

Stumbling onto this site was the single best thing you could ever do to make watching MPI more "fun". It will make it many other things as well, but the experience will never be the same again!

You will spend many hours perusing the entire site, then when you think you've seen all there is, you'll discover something new!

If you haven't already, be sure to check out all the features on the main page and rubberchickens site guide.

Welcome aboard! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Harold Farber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#102 Post by Harold Farber »

308GUY wrote:G'day Harold Farber, and welcome to MM.

Stumbling onto this site was the single best thing you could ever do to make watching MPI more "fun". It will make it many other things as well, but the experience will never be the same again!

You will spend many hours perusing the entire site, then when you think you've seen all there is, you'll discover something new!

If you haven't already, be sure to check out all the features on the main page and rubberchickens site guide.

Welcome aboard! :magnum:
Thanks for the greeting and tips, looking forward to it!

Tesza
Lieutenant Commander

#103 Post by Tesza »

I guess I'll pull the average age down a bit again by just having turned 22. 8)
Good to know I'm neither the very youngest one nor the only Magnum maniac born several years after the end of the series, considering most people of my age I know (not all, but the majority) would ask, "Magnum? We're talking about ice cream, right?" :D
(I know. You would never have expected to hear this.)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by KingKC »

Tesza wrote:I guess I'll pull the average age down a bit again by just having turned 22. 8)
Good to know I'm neither the very youngest one nor the only Magnum maniac born several years after the end of the series, considering most people of my age I know (not all, but the majority) would ask, "Magnum? We're talking about ice cream, right?" :D
(I know. You would never have expected to hear this.)
Don't worry...I just pulled the average age back up since I am 64.

KingKC

Rick66
Lieutenant

#105 Post by Rick66 »

I'm 68 and still enjoying Magnum P.I.!!!!!!!!