How old is the average Magnum Maniac?

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How old are you?

0-10
No votes
11-20
3%
21-30
12%
31-40
24%
41-50
41%
51-60
10%
61-70
8%
71-80
No votes
81-90
1%
91-100 (now this has got to be pushing it, right?)
No votes
100+ (if you're voting this option, kudos to you!)
No votes

Total votes: 145

MagStache
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: How old is the average Magnum Maniac?

#81 Post by MagStache »

I'm mid 40's and originally watched when it was airing new episodes on cbs back in the day, although I don't seem to recall watching it a lot much earlier than about 83. I think because it was on too late on the local cbs channel and I was in junior high at the time :lol: I remember watching it a lot more during the summer of 83, the local cbs channel showed afternoon reruns of the previous season. Then during high school a year or so later watched it a lot more regularly in the evening, along with airwolf, street hawk, and eventually MacGyver (remember that one--another great show).
Later a local indy channel put magnum back on for about 1 1/2 years starting in summer 1994 to like spring '96 and I actually recorded all of them on vhs faithfully, all on ep vhs (bleh I know but hey, I didn't think they'd ever release it later on!). I even still have the tapes! :lol: I think the next time I saw it regularly before as of late was in the early 2000's I think on A&E or some DTV channel (seem to remember some kind of marathon on memorial day 2001 anyway). It's great that the 80's are hot again. Seriously hoping they get off their cans and make something while they still can. I think a tv movie or tv reboot (done right that is).
There can be no cash without the 'stache...

DogZy
Lieutenant

#82 Post by DogZy »

Wow, I can be a grandson to many of you :D

I'm the only one, for now, who has voted for 11-20 age group. I'm 19 years old.

Randy
Ensign

#83 Post by Randy »

I'm 24
You've got no place to go, no way to get there, and a real mean head wind.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#84 Post by Hawaii Winds »

54 Here....

trevor2448
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#85 Post by trevor2448 »

I turn 48 this June 2014. Ugh. lol!

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#86 Post by magnumette »

I'm a newbie here. just love the sight. Much thanks JJ. 47 years old. rewatching the entire series this summer . Own all the DVD's but LOVE COZI! I feel connected to other magnum fans who are watching it the same time as me.:)

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#87 Post by Kwai Bridge »

DogZy wrote:Wow, I can be a grandson to many of you :D

I'm the only one, for now, who has voted for 11-20 age group. I'm 19 years old.
I'm 21, and also from Croatia!

Who would have thought I'd find anyone from Croatia on these boards. :lol:

Turkey
Admiral

#88 Post by Turkey »

Been watching it for about 4 years or so - and I know pretty much no-one else who watches it around my age.
Make it two weeks.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#89 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Turkey wrote:32

Been watching it for about 4 years or so - and I know pretty much no-one else who watches it around my age.
There always seems to be some younger guys who come to the forum thinking they're the only ones their age watching the show. Look around and you'll find a number of guys your age and younger who are often as obsessed as us older folks! Welcome Turkey.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Turkey
Admiral

#90 Post by Turkey »

Styles Bitchley wrote:

There always seems to be some younger guys who come to the forum thinking they're the only ones their age watching the show. Look around and you'll find a number of guys your age and younger who are often as obsessed as us older folks! Welcome Turkey.
Ah, thanks for the welcome, Styles, but I'm not sure about the assumption? :D

I live in a pretty isolated area - I didn't hit the forum 'thinking I'm the only one my age watching the show' - but none of my friends or colleagues watch it. Few around here even know what it is, which is a damn shame really.
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#91 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:

Welcome Turkey.
That made me chuckle.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MikeS
Admiral

#92 Post by MikeS »

As the saying goes...

"I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth."
MikeS

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Little Garwood »

I was a few years younger when I first answered this question, but I'm 43 now.

As to the age-group-not-watching-old-stuff thing, I wonder if this is common. That is, the young people being oblivious to pop culture things before their time (unless it's re-used in a contemporary movie or show). When I was a kid *cue Ragtime music and sepia-toned colorization* my close friends--the "Rick" and "TC" of my youth, I suppose--were just as enthusiastic about the likes of Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and Lee Marvin as we were then-at-their-peak Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stallone. I don't think the other kids at school shared our admiration for 1960s movie heroes. After all, The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, and films like that--not to mention numerous '60s and '70s shows--were played regularly on TV. I never talked about my interests except with my three close friends but in talking with colleagues at work who are my age, they were not exposed to or even bothered with the stuff that came just before their lifetimes.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Turkey
Admiral

#94 Post by Turkey »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:

Welcome Turkey.
That made me chuckle.

AWESOME! :D
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#95 Post by Turkey »

Little Garwood wrote:

I was a few years younger when I first answered this question, but I'm 43 now.

As to the age-group-not-watching-old-stuff thing, I wonder if this is common. That is, the young people being oblivious to pop culture things before their time (unless it's re-used in a contemporary movie or show). When I was a kid *cue Ragtime music and sepia-toned colorization* my close friends--the "Rick" and "TC" of my youth, I suppose--were just as enthusiastic about the likes of Steve McQueen, James Coburn, and Lee Marvin as we were then-at-their-peak Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stallone. I don't think the other kids at school shared our admiration for 1960s movie heroes. After all, The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, and films like that--not to mention numerous '60s and '70s shows--were played regularly on TV. I never talked about my interests except with my three close friends but in talking with colleagues at work who are my age, they were not exposed to or even bothered with the stuff that came just before their lifetimes.
I think it is common to some extent - most teenagers and 20ish folks I've come across are pretty conservative in terms of their viewing/listening, sticking to a decade they're comfortable. Certainly not all, by no means all, but most.

The flip-side I've noticed is, once they get a bit older, they get curious about the stuff that influenced or preceded the stuff they like.
Make it two weeks.