The Welcome Wagon

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Gordon Katsumoto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The Welcome Wagon

#281 Post by Gordon Katsumoto »

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Long time lurker, first time poster (obviously!).

I've been a Magnum P.I. fan ever since it was first broadcast in France (sometime around the early-mid eighties). I was a wee lad back then.
I've laughed and cried over the years watching this fantastic series which by the way made me a fan of Tom Selleck forever... Well, that and Mr. Baseball! As a matter of fact, I thought of taking the Jack Elliott username. But that's another story.

I know that Det. Gordon Katsumoto is not a favorite around these parts (I just re-read the thread dedicated to This Island Isn't Big Enough... :D ), but I've always liked this over-the-top character.

I'm currently rewatching the 6th season for the umpteenth time. And I'm having a whale of a time as usual... as Higgins would say, when Magnum P.I. is on, "the birds are singing and the lads are frolicking."

This place is simply fantastic.

Turkey
Admiral

#282 Post by Turkey »

Welcome!! :)
Make it two weeks.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#283 Post by KingKC »

Welcome Gordon. I hope this site brings back as many good memories for you as it has for me.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#284 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome to our obsession! :lol:

Sounds like you've got the "bug" about the same level as myself. Can never get enough. Maybe someday...but not in the immediate future, that I can see.

If you've been looking around for some time, you already know the vastness of the information and level of commitment that exists here.

If you were in France in the 80's and are in Japan now, are you a frequent traveler, in the military, or just jumped countries once?

Maybe a better question is...have you been to "the island"...and do you have any new stories/pictures from the visit you'd care to share?

Also.....do you own/rent/have the "use" of a Ferrari 308GTS/GTB or any other version thereof? :D

Ok, enough of my rambling, hoping you have a sense of humor.....I've met some who don't! :lol:

Always good to see new folks join the ranks...kind of reinforces the belief that others share the same reaction to something that has grabbed and held on to ourselves.
I haven't been here all that long myself, compared to some of the long time posters, but the ones who stuck around are some of the best bunch of people you'll find anywhere on the "net" or I'd guess in the world. JMHO :magnum:

Welcome to you...glad to see you here. :higgins:

Great Higgin's quote about the birds..and the lads....just great! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Gordon Katsumoto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#285 Post by Gordon Katsumoto »

Thank you for the kind words, Pilgrims (I've got to get into character somehow).

I sadly have no particular stories to share. Never been to the Island, never driven a Ferrari (let alone approached one), never even bought any Magnum P.I. memorabilia (I know that's unacceptable)... Although I'd love to have that mug TS once brought to a David Letterman show. :D

I'm quite a bore to be perfectly honest. :wink:

But I can't get enough of Magnum P.I.

:magnum: :higgins: Where are the TC and Rick Smilies? And what about the lads? :(
I hate that place! :wink:

308GUY wrote: ...
Great Higgin's quote about the birds..and the lads....just great! :magnum:
Magnum's reaction to that line is priceless.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#286 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Hello! Been on here since February but neglected to introduce myself.

I knew about Magnum since I was a child but didn't watch it regularly until I was about 16-ish. Then MeTV (then KVOS) took it off their schedule and I got into other interests for the next few years. Then in 2013 I had eight teeth removed in preparation for jaw surgery the next year, and I had about a week in the summer to recover. That's when I got back into Magnum from its beginning.

My dad, who in sunglasses back in the 80s looked like a heavier, starting-to-bald, Canadian version of TS :P, went to Hawaii in 1986, caught a mahi mahi (I'm guessing a non-hideout-locating one :P), and even saw TS himself driving the Ferrari :D. Dad's a huge fan of Blue Bloods, Jesse Stone, and TS's other stuff too. :)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#287 Post by KingKC »

A belated welcome Chickinthemiddle. I have seen your postings. Keep up the good work.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#288 Post by 308GUY »

KingKC wrote:A belated welcome Chickinthemiddle. I have seen your postings. Keep up the good work.
Seconded.

Like the story about your dad.

Too bad he didn't get a picture of TS in the 308! :magnum: (not that there aren't any around.... :lol: ...but it'd have been neat to have a "fan's" spur of the moment version too!)

See ya in the funny papers! :higgins:

Sean
Ensign

#289 Post by Sean »

HI GUYS!

I am one of those freak MPI fans who was born during the show's run (just before season seven actually). My folks were fans of TS and now that they are both passed on - Dad in 2005, Mum in 2015 - I have found the show a great way to escape from grief/depression, etc. My Dad was sort of Glasgow's answer to TS and was a adult-life-long moustache (sorry!) and frizzy hair wearer. Watching MPI makes me feel closer to him. I didn't always get on with my Dad and his alcoholism basically ruined his life and my parents' relationship. I vaguely remember him watching An Innocent Man on the TV back in the early 90s.

As a result of my parents' opinion of TS, I always felt positive towards him, although MPI was not shown much in the UK. Back in 2012, I luckily caught the Jesse Stone movies on Channel Five and thought they were excellent, even if they have tailed off a little since they went off Parker. Jesse is actually much closer to my Dad's personality than TM, but I knew I wanted to see MPI for myself. After a few years of badgering my mother to watch Jesse Stone, she finally relented in early 2015 and enjoyed them very much. Her sudden death a few months before Lost in Paradise aired almost destroyed me.

Fortunately for me, ITV4 had started showing MPI in 2012. I recorded and watched as many as I could. I lurked on here for more information and to see what the opinion was on the episodes. I was annoyed that ITV4 kept going up to the start of the sixth season, then going back to the beginning. After a few years, they eventually showed season seven and eight.

Five weeks after my mother died, I started a 12 month apprenticeship. It was very tough emotionally, for obvious reasons. After a few months I was laid low with an illness and watched MPI to keep my spirits up. It worked and I then bought all eight seasons on DVD so I could have them to hand any time. It's almost like therapy! I have watched them though several times in the past year or so.

I have also seen Ike, which was almost a proto-prequel to the Jesse Stone series, given the production crew. It's pretty much the only time that TS went 'method-actor' and it worked really well. I also think it was a shame that TS' film career never really took off. He probably should have shaved the 'stache for his earlier films to better separate TM from his movie characters. By the time he did so in the 90s, it was too late. I haven't caught Blue Bloods yet, but plan to. Though I understand that TS is much more like Jesse and he's not really the main focus of the show.

So, on MPI; I like seasons 2-4 and 7-8 very much. I also like season 1, but preferred the slightly mellower version of Higgins from later seasons. I think Hillerman steals the show. I love the odd-couple/father-son dynamic between Magnum and Higgins. It's great to see them evolve over the series. I don't think Higgins is Robin either, but agree with some on here that it was an interesting way to spice up the relationship between the pair and with Welles dying, they may as well try Higgins-is-Robin for laughs even though we KNOW different. On the 'serious-silly spectrum', I do lean toward the serious episodes.

I do agree with the majority here that seasons five and six of MPI are the 'least best' and I am now finding it harder to get through re-watches and easier to skip episodes when I reach those seasons.

I enjoy reading the episode threads and I hope to see you around.

:magnum:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#290 Post by 308GUY »

Hello Sean.....and WELCOME!

I'm always amazed by those like yourself, that came upon MPI after reaching adulthood and find it interesting/entertaining enough to keep tuning in. Just seems that allot of the "youth" crowd (under 30?) have anything but a 30 year old made for TV detective show on their minds. But I think it exemplifies what "classic" means: like the books music and art that cultures look at as being "classic". Not in the same sense of "very refined" and/or "dignified" or "high-brow", but having an allure and message that transcends the generation it was created in. Maybe that's pushing the envelope a little bit, but I do find it interesting that many of the folks here were not around when the show first aired.

You express yourself very well, I enjoyed reading your synopsis.

Sorry about your folks, I don't think it's ever easy for any of us, but something we all must deal with at some point.

Your assessment of the overall series pretty much agrees with my own, but I find it hard to skip any of the episodes, as there seems to always be "something" in every one that is note-worthy or memorable for me. Granted, there are more than a couple I find hard to watch start to finish! :lol: But, as I said, for me, each and every one has some redeeming value.

Looking forward to seeing more from you, great to have another guy from across the pond....or anywhere, for that matter!

Stick around, and again, welcome aboard! :magnum:

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#291 Post by Stelth »

Welcome Sean!

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#292 Post by Danny Lin »

Hi everyone!

It´s Danny Lin.

Searching for air dates of the great documentation of all the cases of Thomas Magnum who once helped to save my life, which I´m still very thankful for, I came across this website, where so many people meet who Magnum had to do with during his career as a p.i.

I also found some offers to purchase the whole documentation on Magnums cases, which I did.

I´ll be starting to view them from the very beginning soon and I´m looking forward to talk and discuss on here once in a while.

Having watched some of Magnums cases on TV lately, from the fourth year of his career, there are some topics I´m going to post on in the episodes section soon.

See ya´ll there...

From Jororo with love,

Danny Lin
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#293 Post by 308GUY »

A very hearty "Welcome" to you DL! :lol:

Clever introduction...looking forward to hearing/seeing, more from you as you peruse and savor each installment.

Be sure to check out the main page and ALL the nooks and cranny's of the site, it seems never ending at times!

Some great people here.

Welcome aboard! :magnum:

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#294 Post by Danny Lin »

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

I´ve already spent quite some time on the main page and found an incredible mass of information on the show. :shock: :shock:

So nice to see how many people from everywhere contribute to the gathering of facts and "funs"! :D
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#295 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome Aboard Danny